+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JBL Component install on my 01 R/T - Crossover setup

Status

Default JBL Component install on my 01 R/T - Crossover setup

Fellow members,

I'm looking to replace my head unit stereo and all stock speakers on my 01 R/T with a JBL Component system. My question is which wires I should be using as my input to the Crossover IN (+/-). After removing the door panels and disconnecting the tweeter harness and speaker harness I'm stuck as to which wires I should be using as my input to the crossover.

IN (+/-) - ?
    WF (+/-) - 6.5 speakers
    TW (+/-) - Tweeters

Your help is appreciated.

Status

Seems like I may need to get this input from the factory amp. Think I may just need to bypass this amp and use the crossover instead.

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

do you have the factory infinity system, or the regular one now ?
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

I currently have the factory Infinity system now. Think I'm going to need to bypass the amp so I can use the crossover. Also, what I noticed are the rear speakers not working. Ugh!

Status

ok, one thing is that you probably have the wrong resistance speakers. You do not need to bypass the amp, in fact, you'll have no power if you do. You do need to make sure your speakers are 2 ohm and not 4 ohm, like most aftermarket speakers are. They will still work @ 4 ohms, but sound level(read volume) and eq quality will be greatly affected. I found this out the hard way. Trade those speakers for some 2ohm models and try again. I think you'll happier with the result.
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    ok, one thing is that you probably have the wrong resistance speakers. You do not need to bypass the amp, in fact, you'll have no power if you do. You do need to make sure your speakers are 2 ohm and not 4 ohm, like most aftermarket speakers are. They will still work @ 4 ohms, but sound level(read volume) and eq quality will be greatly affected. I found this out the hard way. Trade those speakers for some 2ohm models and try again. I think you'll happier with the result.
    Interesting. So the factory infinity sound system had 2 ohm speakers from the factory?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    What he said, or run an aftermarket amp to your components (best way IMO). A 4 ohms load on the stock amp really does not sound very good, as it just doesn't provide enough power, especially on components. My 4 ohms Polk coaxials in my truck sound better running off my Alpine headunit, than they did running through the factory amp. I am, however, about to add a small 2 channel amp to power my Polks.

2012 Grand Cherokee Limited Wife's car - 4X4, Hemi
    2003 Dakota RT RC, Hughes intake and throttle body, D1SC Procharger, 5-speed
    2009 Challenger RT, 6-speed, sportlines, x-pipe, Dynatech mufflers.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wdh681 View Post
    Interesting. So the factory infinity sound system had 2 ohm speakers from the factory?
    yup, I found out the hard way and it does make a difference

Status

Ok, so got my sounds installed and sound awesome. I didn't have to bypass the factory amp and just ran new speaker wires to the crossover. Thanks for your help and advise.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DAK Attack View Post
    Ok, so got my sounds installed and sound awesome. I didn't have to bypass the factory amp and just ran new speaker wires to the crossover. Thanks for your help and advise.
    Completely disregarding the stock wiring is the way to go. It's not very laborious to put in your own wire while you already have it apart.

Status

Sorry to hijack the thread, but where is the factory infinity amp located? The guy who did my setup was a hack and I think he reused the factory wiring to go to the new amp. I want to make sure there aren't two amps wired in before I drop in my new Alpine Type-Rs.

Thanks, JC

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but where is the factory infinity amp located? The guy who did my setup was a hack and I think he reused the factory wiring to go to the new amp. I want to make sure there aren't two amps wired in before I drop in my new Alpine Type-Rs.

Thanks, JC
    Behind the passenger kick panel / under the dash. Where your passengers right foot scuffs up all the purdy plastic pieces.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

+ Reply to Thread