+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird Rear Tire Wear

Default Weird Rear Tire Wear

Put my street tires back on a couple weeks ago and found my rear drag radials are wearing strange.

The inside 3-4 inches have way more tread than the rest of the tire, like there's a camber issue but there's no camber adjustment on the rears that i know of. 60 ft. times are the same as they've always been and there is absolutely no shimmy or vibration so I know the balance is good.

It's the same on both rears. Running MT ET Streets with 17 PSI. Anyone have a clue what might cause this?

Tires never wore like this when I was running my old 15x8 Dakota wheels. I bought some used 15x9 Welds a while back. Could there be something with the wheels? Different backspacing or something? They do stick out more than the 15x8s did.

408, HiPoTek, FRP Tuning, Martin Saine 46re
    12.33 @ 110
    2018 Renegade Raceway Summit Series Sportsman Champion

Status

What size tire? Same for old wheel to new? Have any welding done on the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    What size tire? Same for old wheel to new? Have any welding done on the rear?
    Same tire as before,
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3453

Negative on the welding.
    12.33 @ 110

Status

Obviously wearing out during your burn outs, look at your sig picture, are those the 9" welds?
    looks like the outside of the tire isn't making full contact, have any more burn out pictures you can look at?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

"same tires as before". In name only. Even the same listed compounds can have different wear characteristics. For these tires, I'd put couple more pounds of air in each and see what the patch looks like in comparison.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    "same tires as before". In name only. Even the same listed compounds can have different wear characteristics. For these tires, I'd put couple more pounds of air in each and see what the patch looks like in comparison.
    These are radials not a bias ply tire, radial would wear the center more with added air and wear the outer edges more with less air, as Dave said I'm sure it is from the burnouts due to the backspace of the wheels sticking out further.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

They are 9" Welds. I'm sure they're wearing during the burnouts and it does look look like in that photo like the outside isn't making full contact but its the inside that's not wearing as much (has more tread).
    12.33 @ 110

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mikset View Post
    They are 9" Welds. I'm sure they're wearing during the burnouts and it does look look like in that photo like the outside isn't making full contact but its the inside that's not wearing as much (has more tread).

I was looking at your pictures, that is interesting then.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

I can't help but think it has something to do with the different wheel backspacing but don't understand how. Any physics experts on here? LOL

Wondering also if maybe the frame isn't flexing when doing burnouts. I'm not running an X-brace, maybe that would help?
    12.33 @ 110

I killed Goose

Status

That is strange.
    You said "The inside 3-4 inches have way more tread than the rest of the tire"
    So they're wearing out the outer tread on both sides?
    I would expect to see one side wearing the inside and the other wearing the outside if it was some kind of chassis flexing going on.

Only other thing I can think of is that the tires are not "ballooning" evenly with rotational mass. Maybe something inherent with directional radial tires?
    Like steel belts thicker towards the inside of the tire?

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Rob, that's possible I suppose it's just strange they didn't wear like that with the other wheels. Maybe the different backspacing is affecting it somehow. If there was some vibration or my 60 ft. fell off I'd be pretty concerned about it but that's not the case, it just annoys me. I'll be running new tires next year so we'll see if it still does it with the new tires.
    12.33 @ 110

I killed Goose

Status

It's a puzzler. Backspacing may cause it but I can't imagine how.
    I hope someone can explain it because thinking a about that kind of tire wear on a sold axle is the kind of shit that keeps me up at night

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

GPz550 Addict

Status

Any mods to your rear suspension? Shocks? Maybe in the off-season, check the compressed and drooping (not to be confused with droppings) of the complete rear suspension movement? Just thinking here, as I am no engineer, just a Realist.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

Check your rear shocks for wear,all those cool burnouts got to be hard on a pair of shocks
    The offset in wheels could change your weight distribution just a guess

Status

Are they glued?
    Do you drive in the street with them?
    have a spool?

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    These are radials not a bias ply tire, radial would wear the center more with added air and wear the outer edges more with less air, as Dave said I'm sure it is from the burnouts due to the backspace of the wheels sticking out further.
    My suggestion was to give the tire more support. Granted my realm was solely with bias tires but one discovery made as to why slicks would wear on the outside only, was because heavy vehicles with added traction push hard off the line causing the middle of the tire to lift up. This causes the vehicle to leave on the outside edge of the slick. Airing the tires up a bit mitigated this.

If this aspect can pertain to radials I couldn't guess. If not, it's a suspension issue where something is causing toe-out at the rears. I have seen cars with adjustable rear suspension also do this. Some cars with traction bars can also give this affect if the bars are lifting up the entire car as they try to push the tires into the pavement.

All good stuff to think about and play with.
    12.33 @ 110

Status

2018 Renegade Raceway Sportsman Champion

^^^Nice badge to wear, the trophy class here is bitch, I'm going to pro.
    11.27 @ 118.23

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    2018 Renegade Raceway Sportsman Champion

^^^Nice badge to wear, the trophy class here is bitch, I'm going to pro.
    Thanks. Sportsman class has gotten very competitive in the last few years, there were around 35 cars signed up this year. Several high 11 second rigs dialing back so they can can run the class.

Pro is probably the toughest most competitive at Renegade, That's why i don't want to break into the 11's. To be competitive I'd have to add a trans brake, etc. etc. $$

Sounds like the Mopar class you won last year is pretty tough too, good luck running Pro!
    Last edited by mikset; 11-24-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    12.33 @ 110

Status

Most everyone in the later rounds of the mopar series runs a brake, pretty common to line up against some 9 second cars banging off the Rev limiter at 5k, and I'm foot braking, I can't hear or feel my tuck running thanks to monster next to me....lol
    I had my 727 rebuilt with a cope racing t brake valve body, can't wait to run it.
    11.27 @ 118.23

Status

Sorry, meant to say sportsman class, not trophy...
    11.27 @ 118.23

+ Reply to Thread