+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone have experience with SCT ?

Status

Default Anyone have experience with SCT ?

I was thinking about purchasing the SCT kit that allows total control of engine parameters for tuning my truck, but before I drop a grand on this thing I wanted to get some feedback. How much control does it really offer? What parameters are controllable. Is it easy to create tunes? The website doesnt offer much info, and I requested info from SCT and I never received it.

My truck runs very smoothly as it is but I want to make changes to the WOT pulse width so I can drop my fuel pressure from 95 psi under boost to maybe 65 psi.

Dana

Dana Weisbrot
    10.95@121.50
    Hostile Racing
    Norwalk CT.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2_7_mlW8D0 2007, 11.10 pass video

Status

Seen your R/T on drag truk and and liked it. If I remember right, don't think you had a blower last I looked, but it ran well for the mods!

Anyway, the SCT PRP is not easy. I'm on a learning curve with mine. I understand some things like Kpa(dodge uses torr)or "absolute pressure" but when it comes to the numbers displayed on some of the graphs I'm eventually going to start asking my tuner. Or maybe even offer some cash for him to give me the ability to edit. I think in the thread "SCT success stories" on Dakota durango website, a couple of tuners are allowing edit of their tunes and one will actually tell you what he did and why he did it.

I was a little disappointed there is no straightforward way to correct for gears and tire sized. Take that back....that's pretty sad for the money spent. Hemifever said that sct told him it possible to tweak one of the parameters in "miscelaneous" dropdown and it could correct it. I know Hemifever was actually wanting a person with 31" tires so he could get a noticeable change while changing that parameter.

I will learn this, it's just going to take some patience for all this proprietary stuff to not be so important. I'm convinced, the more people that purchase the prp, the better things will become if we share tuning information to the fullest extent.

For the next month or so, I'm learning to datalog, which I'm sure will help to some extent, understanding the prp parameters shown without having to ask a billion questions from my tuner. I'm working on getting the tune on the truck right and when that's done, I plan on starting from stock tune. I will be working my way up, at least, to the the hp, tq numbers of the performance tune my tuner set up for me with the data I collect for him. Plus it let's me have a little fun while in this learning curve.

Status
    Blog Entries

im interested in it also, but id like to see exactly what it does first

Status

Thanks for the response.

Well it doesn't seem that this is the product I want. It seems that it can do the things that I want, but its not easy to accomplish. I just want to change one thing and have the room to grow if I need to. Is there any way you can send me copy of the directions so I can look at them and see how difficult it is?

Dana Weisbrot
    10.95@121.50
    Hostile Racing
    Norwalk CT.

Status

There are NO directions .....

If you are N/A, tuning is a breeze. If you are F/I, tuning is difficult due to existing bugs...

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

I "almost" took the bait. First I was leaning towards MegaSquirt, then it was SCT. I never gave FAST a second thought based upon my lack of funds. I think I'm going to set this one out and let everybody else reinvent the wheel. I'll just hang with my "old-school" FMU setup for now.
    Besides - it's already paid for.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    I "almost" took the bait. First I was leaning towards MegaSquirt, then it was SCT. I never gave FAST a second thought based upon my lack of funds. I think I'm going to set this one out and let everybody else reinvent the wheel. I'll just hang with my "old-school" FMU setup for now.
    Besides - it's already paid for.
    Accel DFI Thruster is under 2k .... thats where I would go. It is proven to work, you can use a wideband for closed loop, and you can tune on the fly

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

My A/F looks good except for from 3,000 rpm to about 5,000 - where it's very rich at WOT. Cruise and idle are still perfect because the factory PCM can trim the 24# injectors enough to make it "clean". I run out of fuel at 6,000 rpms and 14 psi of boost. That's all the fuel system and factory lines can support at this point. I don't really think a different tuning method would fix it. I will need to run either a larger fuel line or dual feeds to gain enough fuel flow to make more power. Once I got a higher capacity fuel system, I would then gain some benefit from larger injectors and a different tuning system. That's thousands of dollars away and I'm still collecting pennies, nickels and dimes.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by meangreen View Post
    There are NO directions .....

If you are N/A, tuning is a breeze. If you are F/I, tuning is difficult due to existing bugs...
    I'll admit a laugh after I read "instructions". While it is a PRO racer package they could at least give some rudimentary examples of timing changes, fuel, etc. They give more instructions for the GM and Ford crowd definitely.
    Last edited by Intense RT; 08-03-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Status
    Blog Entries

im sure once the bugs are worked out it will be fine, you just have to take it to someone competant with tuning

Status

Quote Originally Posted by rattler360 View Post
    im sure once the bugs are worked out it will be fine, you just have to take it to someone competant with tuning
    There are THOUSANDS of DFI tuners around the country. There are like 5 SCT DCX tuners. It is hard to find someone competent!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Intense RT View Post
    I'll admit a laugh after I read "instructions". While it is a PRO racer package they could at least give some rudimentary examples of timing changes, fuel, etc. They give more instructions for the GM and Ford crowd definitely.
    Shoot me a PM over at dak-dur if you need any help with your tuning. I have been playing with it for almost a year and spent a lot of time talking to SCT people and tuners about it. Good luck!!

Status
    Blog Entries

it also just came out where as dfi from fast or accel has been out for years

Status

I am running an Aeromotive digital FMU right now and have had no trouble running up to 6700 rpm at 12 psi. I have never run out of fuel. I have had my truck on a wideband and tested it out quite a few times. I was a bit lean for boosted applications, but I have since put in the 30 pound injectors and made 18 passes without a hiccup. I am running almost 100 psi of fuel pressure under boost though...lol. All I wanted to do was add more injector pulse width at WOT so I can lower the fuel pressure.

The factory pcm controls the injectors fine. I do have a B&G flash, however it was programmed for 24#s. I even passed the CT. Emissions test a few weeks ago. It doesnt have to be checked with a sniffer here, it just has to pass an OBD test and have no codes in the PCM and all the readiness monitors set. Actually you can have two monitors not set to pass.

So overall, I cant complain but I like to tinker, and Im sick of sending out the PCM when ever I have an idea.

Thanks for all of the input.

Dana Weisbrot
    10.95@121.50
    Hostile Racing
    Norwalk CT.

+ Reply to Thread