+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake Vacuum Canister

Supporting Vendor

Status

Default Brake Vacuum Canister

This is a mock up of the vacuum canister feeding the brake booster I'm working on and installing for a test. The mount consists of a tubular frame that is fastened with two bolts. Therefore, it can be quickly and easily removed for access to other things like spark plugs. I may also weld on a larger port/bung that supplies vacuum to the brake booster. Currently it's a 1/8 NPT I believe, and the ID of the fitting is extremely small. Pressure likes a small orifice but vacuum prefers a larger orifice.

Supporting Vendor

Status

This is a quote from another thread that has some good points to address:
    I might need one...But I want to put it on the passenger side, drivers side is too crammed full of stuff as it is.
    The reason I put it on the driver's side is to have the vacuum canister as close to the brake booster as possible. Vacuum has the maximum force equivalent to 14.7 psi. Vacuum also has a resistance to flow through the lines and fittings. By reducing the resistance to flow, the vacuum will have greater effect. Vacuum also flows best through a larger line than would be required by higher pressure. So it is beneficial to have the canister as close to the brake booster as possible. I am also going to weld in a larger bung for the fitting and line that goes from the vacuum canister to the booster. As you can see, it is currently 1/8 npt, and in my mind, may be too small considering the size of the hose designed to feed the brake booster. If the canister was mounted on the passenger’s side, a larger hose to the brake booster may be beneficial but the -8 may suffice.

Status

Do you ever get bored? Your always coming up with useful and innovative products. I would like some more info on this as you get the bugs figured out. I would prefer passenger side placement also.
    I'll get back with you on the things we discussed last week.
    1999 CC R/T
    365ci, 78/75 Rear Mount Turbo
    Ryan/Tuned

Supporting Vendor

Status

Do you ever get bored? Your always coming up with useful and innovative products. I would like some more info on this as you get the bugs figured out. I would prefer passenger side placement also.
    I'll get back with you on the things we discussed last week.
    LOL! I guess I just love this stuff.

I figured there may be more interest on a passenger side mount but logic told me to attach it to the driver's side. However, with the vacuum canister on the passenger's side, the hose needed to connect to the booster on the driver's side, would also act as an additional vacuum reservoir. I'm just trying to keep things as simple as possible but originally started out making it to fit the passenger's side.

For now, I am going to modify the vacuum canister with an 8AN bung in order to eliminate the 1/8 NPT fitting. So far it seems to be working well but I want to finish modifications and test it further.

My engine currently idles at ~11.9 in-hg. When the engine revs and decels, the vacuum canister is holding 20 in-hg for the brake booster.

Status

another idea would be to make one that is better than stock to mount under the wiper cowl. you can even make it so that the gauge can be seen from inside the truck.
    -Ryan

98 Flame Red R/T - Heads, Cam, Gears, Stall, SCT, Hotchkis, Caltracs, Transgo
    For Sale: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24582

13.33 @ 104mph

2004 Silver SRT-4 - Daily
    MSD Wires, Mopar BOV
    Totaled
    Pending Twin transplant

Supporting Vendor

Status

Replaced the vacuum canister’s 1/8 NPT fitting that was feeding the brake booster with an 8AN fitting since that is the closest size to the OEM vacuum hose ID.

Status

Looks good! But seriously, you need to get rid of that twin TB manifold set up, it's really cluttering up you engine bay.

11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Dunno if there's room on your truck, the vacuum canister in my truck is mounted horizontally - tucks out of the way more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SinCity R/T
    01 SV CC R/T * 03 BK CC R/T * 03 BW RC R/T * 98 BK RC R/T * 99 DA CC R/T * 03 BW CC R/T

Supporting Vendor

Status

another idea would be to make one that is better than stock to mount under the wiper cowl. you can even make it so that the gauge can be seen from inside the truck.
    That's a thought but I'm going to stick with the engine compartment for ease of installation.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Looks good! But seriously, you need to get rid of that twin TB manifold set up, it's really cluttering up you engine bay.
    Lol! I'm going to clutter it even more with a proper air cleaner some day.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Dunno if there's room on your truck, the vacuum canister in my truck is mounted horizontally - tucks out of the way more.
    Yeah I thought about that but I really don't have much room on the driver's side. The alarm siren is in the way on my truck.

Supporting Vendor

Status

The position I have it mounted in now, I used one fender bolt at one end, and the other end bolts to an existing hole in the battery box. I did open the hole a bit in the battery box with a drill. Other than this, no additional holes were required in the sheet metal. Also, in this manner, I can remove it easily and quickly. For a more balanced look, the vacuum canister could be mounted on the passenger's side. The problem with designing a kit is, for instance, that many people have custom set-ups, with other components attached in different places. So one person may have ample room in one spot but another person may not.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 04-16-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

After driving for several days, the brakes definately feel better. The pedal is not as hard and the stopping ability feels enhanced with less pedal pressure.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    After driving for several days, the brakes definately feel better. The pedal is not as hard and the stopping ability feels enhanced with less pedal pressure.
    Are you gonna start offering these for sale?

Supporting Vendor

Status

Are you gonna start offering these for sale?
    Yes I plan on it. I'm working out the details now.

Supporting Vendor

Status

These are the prototypes for two vacuum canister brackets for the Dakota passenger’s side; one for the 1998-1999 and one for the 2000-2004. These are a bolt-on setup with no drilling required.

1998-1999 Vacuum Canister Location

1998-1999 Vacuum Canister Bracket

2000-2004 Vacuum Canister Location

Status

I am thinking in making one of these vacuum tanks out of an air bag(small) tank, its about 5 inches round by like 2ft long which of course i will cut down reweld and repowdercoate, the ones in summit come with the check valve but no gaug i can order the gauge but do i need the check valve, im going to make the fittings -6 or -8 for more air like richard has. Any response or just buy the tank from summit?TIA

Supporting Vendor

Status

I am thinking in making one of these vacuum tanks out of an air bag(small) tank, its about 5 inches round by like 2ft long which of course i will cut down reweld and repowdercoate, the ones in summit come with the check valve but no gaug i can order the gauge but do i need the check valve, im going to make the fittings -6 or -8 for more air like richard has. Any response or just buy the tank from summit?TIA
    You want the check valve in order to keep the highest vacuum the engine produces, in my case, 20 in-hg. I will be producing these kits soon. But if you are going to modify your own, you definately want a check valve.

Status

Can i get those anywhere plus the grommet im guessing, what are you going to sell for?$? How much? And complete kit?

Status

I might just attempt it for shits and giggles, i guess just to say i tried.lol

Supporting Vendor

Status

Can i get those anywhere plus the grommet im guessing, what are you going to sell for?$? How much? And complete kit?
    I have both proto-types for 1998-1999 and 2000-up done as well as the fixture for the 1998-1999 model year. I need to make a fixture for the 2000-up. I may offer the canister with either a larger 8AN or NPT fitting. It may not include hoses since there could be any number of configuarations.

Status

Mines a 99', i will see if i can you a better pic but heres my setup

Status

What the heck, i keep posting and it keeps deleting them

Well mines a 99 i will send you pics to show you what we are working with i keep posting it but it deletes it
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 09-01-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Posts require prior authorization before they show up.

Status

I may be interested in a can mounted on the driver side like you showed before. So the can will only hold what the max vac an engine produces? My cam only has about 6 in of vac at idle and I'm currently using a ssbc elec vac pump. Problem is ifs noise, heavy, and looks awkward in the engine bay because there is nowhere to put it. I may sell my elec one for this depending on price.
    410, 10.3 comp pistons, P&P Eddies, 254 cam, 30lb injectors, sct tuner, 3800 viper stall, 4:56 yukon gears, hotchkis tvs, m1 4brrl, 58mm f&b tb, 1.7 rr, electric fan, jm longtube headers, B&M hammer shifter, Cope Racing Trans, Viper Brakes, SRT8 Seats, nx wet kit(100 shot)
    best time 11.32 @ 118 1.59 60' on spray(old motor). 11.76@115 n/a(new motor)
    DD 07 SRT8 Charger 12.55@112

Supporting Vendor

Status

I may be interested in a can mounted on the driver side like you showed before. So the can will only hold what the max vac an engine produces? My cam only has about 6 in of vac at idle and I'm currently using a ssbc elec vac pump. Problem is ifs noise, heavy, and looks awkward in the engine bay because there is nowhere to put it. I may sell my elec one for this depending on price.
    Yes the canister will only store max vacuum. That's why you need the check valve to capture the highest vacuum possible.

+ Reply to Thread