+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this camshaft please

Supporting Vendor

Status

I tend to be a little more conservative for daily drivers since people tend to over-cam their engines. The cam explanation in regard to operating rpm is called out for a 360 engine. That same grind in a 318 will act as a larger cam and in a 408 as a smaller cam. If you truly want low rpm torque then I would consider either the HPT218XR, HPT220XP, or HPT224XR. I initially ran my 408 with the HPT220XP on a 108 lsa which moved peak torque to a lower rpm, which helps get a heavier vehicle moving. A wider LSA on that same grind would be a broader power band and produce a little more peak hp, but not have as much peak torque down low. This HPT220XP produced a lot of low rpm torque in my 408 but was pretty much done around 5500 rpm (the engine is still producing power past 5500 rpm but at diminishing returns). The following are a couple of vids with the HPT220XP on a 108 lsa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-P4QgaT25k
    In-cab opening exhaust cut-out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbkwFjqnzfE
    Outside cab with open headers.

A wider lsa will help smooth out the idle and create more engine vacuum.

I currently have a customer’s 1997 Ram to produce items such as an x-brace, front and rear driveshaft loops, panhard bar, etc. He is a running what amounts to a 224 intake duration on a 114 lsa since I believe he is considering a blower. It too has very good low rpm torque and a broad power range.

So if you want low end in a 408, I would consider something around 218-224 intake duration.

However, if you are going to run a 1.7 rocker, that usually puts the lift higher than can be accommodated by the engine without more serious work being done to it. You are better off with a 1.6 ratio since there are more available cam profiles for it. If you are insistent about using 1.7 rockers, I can try to put some specs together that will keep the lift to a reasonable level. However, for instance, the HPT236XFI is a great cam but not for low rpm power. With the 1.7 rocker ratio, the lift would be .615/.612 and .579/.576 with 1.6 rockers. The Eddy springs are good for .580 lift.

Note: You should always check your clearances to be sure, at the very least, that you didn’t miscalculate or screw something up.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 10-11-2016 at 01:55 PM.

I killed Goose

Status

Thank you Richard!

I forgot to mention that I'd run 1.6 rockers with the HPT236XFI.
    But it looks like HPT224XR with a little head work and good springs is doable with my 1.7s.

I'll probably pick one of those and go for it. I have to start somewhere and get some real world experience.
    Cam swaps are easy enough, if I don't like it and try something else at least I have something to compare it to.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    When the fuck did you become positive and nice?
    Hey bud, I been real nice on this site for like a year or some shit, so you can feel free to go fuck yourself you negative little bitch!

Damn it well I guess I just ended the nice streak
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

"Bleach Master"

Status

I have seen to many times with friends that go with the "conventional" thinking or the soft cam recommendations and then regret not going bigger because they were worried about it being too aggressive. 210/220 cam is WAY!!!! to small for the mildest of 408 stroker engines, I wouldn't go over a 236/242 though if you want it to stay daily friendly for you softer people. Now what I consider daily material is WAY different from most people

gen III traitor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Hey bud, I been real nice on this site for like a year or some shit, so you can feel free to go fuck yourself you negative little bitch!

Damn it well I guess I just ended the nice streak
    That's better lol

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Black Pearl

Status

210/220 cam is WAY!!!! to small for the mildest of 408 stroker engines, I wouldn't go over a 236/242 though if you want it to stay daily friendly for you softer people.
    While I don't consider my build soft, I went with the 236/242 @ 108 LSA for my hot 408 build.
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ScojoDak View Post
    While I don't consider my build soft, I went with the 236/242 @ 108 LSA for my hot 408 build.
    That cam is soft for a 408 in my opinion, I had a 236/242 .630/.630" in my first gen 408, then when I went to Indy heads I went 242/268 .714"/.714", and now in my 410 I have a 268/280 .740"/.740" lift cam.

Black Pearl

Status

That cam is soft for a 408 in my opinion
    Motor wont see north of 6500 rpm.

I killed Goose

Status

That cam is soft for a 408 in my opinion, I had a 236/242 .630/.630" in my first gen 408, then when I went to Indy heads I went 242/268 .714"/.714", and now in my 410 I have a 268/280 .740"/.740" lift cam.
    You guys are giving me camshaft envy.

Remember this engine will live its life below 5500 rpm. I'm thinking like how a 4x4 guy would and make a torque monster.

I like free kittens

Status

Lots of good advice.

Food for thought:

I have a stock bottom end, eddy head combo. Running a 222/228 107 lsa cam. Bottom end torque is NOT lacking. I can bang 2nd gear and spin tires. From a roll, 1st gear is tire smoke. Go bigger.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Supporting Vendor

Status

The perception of others tends to vary greatly. lol I think it is safe to say that with the right combo, bigger cams will produce bigger power, but also moves the sweet spot further up the rpm scale, at the expense of low end. Decide where you want to be.

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    The perception of others tends to vary greatly. lol I think it is safe to say that with the right combo, bigger cams will produce bigger power, but also moves the sweet spot further up the rpm scale, at the expense of low end. Decide where you want to be.
    Yea, some of these guys have stupid fast trucks and I fear they underestimate how much of a pussy I am.
    They'll shit their pants when I tell them I'm going with a completely forged bottom end and I don't care about maximum horsepower.

I think I will shoot for a 220/230 cam with as much lift as I can safely get away with a 110 LSA.
    But when I get time I plan on talking with the tech guys at all the big suppliers, Comp, Crane, Lunati, Isky etc... and post all of their recommendations here for comparison.

I really do appreciate all the feedback guys. I've learned a lot.

The camshaft is often referred to as the heart of the engine but in this thread I've heard terms like "too small" "too big" "soft" "hard"..... I wonder if it should be referred to as some other part of the human anatomy

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post
    The camshaft is often referred to as the heart of the engine but in this thread I've heard terms like "too small" "too big" "soft" "hard"..... I wonder if it should be referred to as some other part of the human anatomy
    We haven't even started with "rods" yet

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ScojoDak View Post
    We haven't even started with "rods" yet
    Yea, I'm afraid to even ask about "rods"
    I think I'll refrain from starting that thread.

Status
    Blog Entries

Call 3 cam companies like crane-comp. cams- etc. and get there input,, then decide,, remember your running a computer - fuel injected motor,, plus what manifold are you running makes a difference.. just my 2 cents.

I killed Goose

Status

Just to come back and update this. I've decided on the HPT220XP2 camshaft on a 110 LSA from HiPoTek.

http://stores.hi-potek.com/hipotek-h...18-360-magnum/

After much research and speaking about my goals with Comp Cams, Howard's, Lunati tech departments and the also engine machinist who is doing my block. Everything points to specs that are dead on with the HPT220XP2 for my 408 build.

Actually Richard with HiPoTek recommended that cam early in this thread, he was right on the money

Status

well. get that bitch in already

Status

Just to come back and update this. I've decided on the HPT220XP2 camshaft on a 110 LSA from HiPoTek.

After much research and speaking about my goals with Comp Cams, Howard's, Lunati tech departments and the also engine machinist who is doing my block. Everything points to specs that are dead on with the HPT220XP2 for my 408 build.

Actually Richard with HiPoTek recommended that cam early in this thread, he was right on the money
    So, how far along is your build? If you stick with this choice of cam, it will be very similar to my setup. It makes really good TQ down low. So much so, that it blows the tires off on a second gear roll. That's running some really old BFG 305/45/17's. With the 390 M&H's at an un-prepped track, traction is still a problem. But, I still beat up on everything at the local DTP racewars.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

I killed Goose

Status

I'm still in the collecting parts / spending money phase.
    Block and Eddie heads are at the machine shop being prepped now.
    I've also decided on a manual transmission swap so starting the pile-o-parts for that.
    Plus suspension and brakes and X-brace and fuel system and on and on........

My goal is to have all my goodies ready to swap in all at one time in the fall /early winter.
    I enjoy my truck as often as I can and I don't want it off the road for long so I want to have it all ready for one shot.
    Then I'll never ever spend any more money on it. (That's in case my wife reads this)

I killed Goose

Status

Comp Cam.JPG

The thunder stick has arrived.

I wanted to look at it but when I opened the box I instantly grew a beard and my balls grew twice the normal size.

Black Pearl

Status

The thunder stick has arrived. I wanted to look at it but when I opened the box I instantly grew a beard and my balls grew twice the normal size.
    Normal symptom. Get used to it!

Status

Comp Cam.JPG

The thunder stick has arrived.

I wanted to look at it but when I opened the box I instantly grew a beard and my balls grew twice the normal size.
    Still going with the 1.7s? What piston? Been said a bunch already but definitely get a stall to match

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    Still going with the 1.7s? What piston? Been said a bunch already but definitely get a stall to match
    No, I've traded the 1.7s for 1.6s
    Pistons are still undecided but with those lifts and duration I don't foresee a problem.

As for the converter, I'm seriously considering one operated by the left foot.
    Banging 6 gears would be fun

What was the outcome of the 408 build? How was the cam selection?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast