+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E85

Status

Default E85

Anyone experimenting with this yet or not really doable on jtec?
    410, 10.3 comp pistons, P&P Eddies, 254 cam, 30lb injectors, sct tuner, 3800 viper stall, 4:56 yukon gears, hotchkis tvs, m1 4brrl, 58mm f&b tb, 1.7 rr, electric fan, jm longtube headers, B&M hammer shifter, Cope Racing Trans, Viper Brakes, SRT8 Seats, nx wet kit(100 shot)
    best time 11.32 @ 118 1.59 60' on spray(old motor). 11.76@115 n/a(new motor)
    DD 07 SRT8 Charger 12.55@112

The problem is without a flex fuel sensor or testing the e85 the concentration of alcohol can be from like 60-90. It's hard to write a tune that works right. Testing the concentration of ethanol and the pump and adjusting for it is only way to get a consistent burn on e85 or adjusting ethanol content when putting e85 in each time. Pita!

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

What Todd said, plus there may be injector limitations with needing higher volume of fuel.
    99 R/T RC IB
    Megasquirt II
    53%
    The eternal realist, If you don't like what I have to say put me on your ignore list

Did it on a factory computer with a turbo. Low boost and fairly mild engine. It is fairly easy to do. We used VP fuel E85. I have also done a few with stand alone setups and carbs. I have not seen very big gains with it. Most of the setups have not made much more than it would have on regular gasoline.

My deal runs on E85, with a carb though. Went from 10.62 to 10.45 with no other changes. I buy about 70-100 gallons at a time and test it with my quickfuel tester. Always has been 85% on the money.
    1967 Dart street strip ride
    1999 Dakota R/T

Status

I finally did a truck on E85 last night. We stopped at 350whp (HP still climbing at shutdown point)/450wtq on 6 psi creeping to 9, as there are some boost leaks and other issues we have to sort out before further tuning can be done. HCI 360 stock bottom end truck with a 72mm turbo.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    I finally did a truck on E85 last night. We stopped at 350whp (HP still climbing at shutdown point)/450wtq on 6 psi creeping to 9, as there are some boost leaks and other issues we have to sort out before further tuning can be done. HCI 360 stock bottom end truck with a 72mm turbo.
    Fuel system? Injectors?

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    Fuel system? Injectors?
    Return system with Siemens 60s. Walbro fo'hunnid pump
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Status

I've been wanting to go this route as soon as I can get my other motor togther.

10.5:1 compression and 13-14 psi boost is doable. I know quite a few Fords that have been doing it for years now.

Replacing Gasoline with E-85 isn't going to get you much if anything. May even bring you down.

To take advantage of it you have to build for it.

I have heard some people that have actually sampled and tested E-85 from the pump have gotten as much as a +/- 5% variance in the actually mix.

If you want it for racing and consistancy then yes way better off buying from a Race Fuel supplier. But for the average joe daily driver built to use it. From the pump should be fine.
    Tha DakFink: 1999 Solar Yellow R/Three 468cui, W9-RP heads, Twin 76mm Turbos, Powerglide Trans. , Bob's Fab Shop 25.3 SFI Chassis for 10.5W racing .
    (Still in the Fab Shop)

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block

+ Reply to Thread