+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 360 magnum carb conversion?

Default 360 magnum carb conversion?

Is there any way to run a 5.9 converted to carburated and coincide with the 46re transmission? I know im gonna get a lot of comments to stay fuel injected but its just something im curious about. Seen some article recently that they ran a RPM airgap and a carb and gained over 40hp i believe?

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44229656@N05/

Just read a article they changed out the heads and cam with full length headers and dynoed about 430hp at the crank on the 300hp 360 crate motor. I haven't seen any fuel injected magnums make that much horsepower with those few modifications. I am just a cheap ass and want cheap hp without blowing it up with nitrous

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Nobody? Looks like i should swap to a 727 and do a 3.23 gear to keep it streetable. rear end is shot anyways

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdak360 View Post
    Is there any way to run a 5.9 converted to carburated and coincide with the 46re transmission? I know im gonna get a lot of comments to stay fuel injected but its just something im curious about. Seen some article recently that they ran a RPM airgap and a carb and gained over 40hp i believe?
    Just do a manual valve body on the 46RE...The less the PCM controls the better.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Just do a manual valve body on the 46RE...The less the PCM controls the better.
    Id prefer the manual valve body. So thats all i have to do to swap to carburated? My dad is old school and we could easily rebuild this in his garage. Id love the carb setup and remove all heat/ac and interior crap. Kinda like your rig just wanna have it more streetable

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Low and Slow

Status

Fast throttle body on a 4 barrel intake with a 727 or 904. Gear vendors overdrive unit??

Status
    Blog Entries

Okay I'll bite , why would you wanna put a carb on it and have to be playing with jet's, power valves and setting floats, setting timing.. blah blah blah..I wouldn't wanna go there if it's a driver. If it's track only or a Sunday toy maybe?...NAH not going there!
    As for the Air gap dual plane, edelbrock has a dual plane and if you wanna save about $500 ebay a "proform Air Gap dual plane for $150.00 fits FI and carb small block with some massaging to get it to work I put one on my Ramcharger it works on LA and Mag motor's. or buy a carb air gap and have FI bung's added?
    Nx isn't your only option to make Hp on this motor, Cheapest yes, only no!
    Blower's work well with the right tune on stock long block just can't blow the heads off with 13lbs of boost (stock) if you want it to last .
    Or a Turbo Im making 310 @ wheels on stock long block with simple bolt on's.
    Heads and cam with same bolt on's should net you close to that power level with the right combo of parts what # are you looking for ET wise? or do you wanna bench race with the local cruz crowd? Come's down to where ya wanna go? How fast? and what do you wanna spend ? Hell for 20k you can run 9's and for 9k you can run 10's LOL j/k

00 FR RC Dakota R/T Turbo 11.56@118

99 Amethyst RC Dakota R/T 1-170 13.84@98

P.I.E. tuned cause Flynn is for the Birds if you wanna Run Fast have some PIE !

Just call me George W

Status

Id prefer the manual valve body. So thats all i have to do to swap to carburated? My dad is old school and we could easily rebuild this in his garage. Id love the carb setup and remove all heat/ac and interior crap. Kinda like your rig just wanna have it more streetable
    Mine was streetable, still would be if I didn't live on a dirt road, with the mufflers dumped it's a dust storm, looks like I'm going 50 when I'm going 10.

If you want a fast street truck, do the 727 swap, 3.55 gears etc...46RE is power hog. IF you're dad is a carb guy who you can learn from do it...EFI is pain once you start modding what it is incontrolling unless you have a standalone.

What I've noticed is carb guys are all about helping a brother out.

EFI guys are too....For a fee, it's all about overhead...Screw Driver vs Laptop.
    11.27 @ 118.23

well chas the thing is my dad knows all about carburated cars with no electronics. I added up the parts list to make that 440hp at the crank 360 for about 4000 bucks. I never seen a n/a fuel injected 360 make that much hp for 4000 is all im looking at is the dollar and cents. If i ever did this it would be a once a week driven ride. Just dreaming over here. Im all for turbos but my dad is not. Stubborn i tell ya. I just can get him to build it up labor free so ill go n/a

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Mine was streetable, still would be if I didn't live on a dirt road, with the mufflers dumped it's a dust storm, looks like I'm going 50 when I'm going 10.

If you want a fast street truck, do the 727 swap, 3.55 gears etc...46RE is power hog. IF you're dad is a carb guy who you can learn from do it...EFI is pain once you start modding what it is incontrolling unless you have a standalone.

EFI guys are too....For a fee, it's all about overhead...Screw Driver vs Laptop.
    My dad is 57 years old and as old school as they come. He is all against "fart cans and turbos, fuck all that" quote words of my father lol

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Status
    Blog Entries

Well said Dave , But in today's world carb guy's are slowly fading away and more and more "Laptop's" are taking their place on the track scene. I see alot more laptop's at our local tracks these days then screw driver's in the lane's and pit's...

Just call me George W

Status
    Blog Entries

Shit most young wrench's today never even seen a carb before let alone know what to do on it..

Just call me George W

Quote Originally Posted by RTchas View Post
    Shit most young wrench's today never even seen a carb before let alone know what to do on it..
    True that. And my redneck dad cant do a damn thing with a computer. give him a screwdriver and he will tune any carburated car. It took him years to get his 540 in his El camino tuned just right. 950 crank horsepower compared to the older 468 he had in there around 500hp scares the shit out of me

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Status
    Blog Entries

My dad is 57 years old and as old school as they come. He is all against "fart cans and turbos, fuck all that" quote words of my father lol
    Tell him turbo's where on P-52's back in WWII I was not a big fan of a hairdyer at first either but I also was a kid in the 80's when T-Type's and GN's went 11's with little upgrade's and on the street they ruled the Philly scene every weekend on 61st street and Delaware ave so I had an open mind.

Just call me George W

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RTchas View Post
    Well said Dave , But in today's world carb guy's are slowly fading away and more and more "Laptop's" are taking their place on the track scene. I see alot more laptop's at our local tracks these days then screw driver's in the lane's and pit's...
    I had everything to go to a carb...Even rewired my truck for the anticiaption of ditching the PCM...

Then I snagged a FAST XFI for cheap and sold all the carb stuff.

In the meantime Chris nailed my WOT AF first time, I just have an idle issue. If I can get this thing running right with the stock PCM I'm selling the FAST. I just want a stout brakcet motor, I'll never be the fastest, but I can be the most consistant.
    11.27 @ 118.23

Lmao chas..Id be happy with the setup you got that thing fuckin hauls ass for 310hp but he is too stubborn and set in his ways so n/a for now. Not like it matters i dont have 4000 for parts plus the motor rebuilt and a 727 and new gearing. lol maybe in another 5 years ill be able to

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Status

Your Dad is my age...Actually he's a year younger.
    11.27 @ 118.23

Yeah i have it just stuck in my head to go carburated. I remember being a young child and my dad had a yellow 57 chevy 2 door nicknamed "dad and daves race car" By the way my name is Dave as well And ever since then ive had the love for american muscle. My dad is more of a chevy guy but had his share of mopars. He has had the el for 15 years did a entire frame up resto. and re did it a few years back. One day i will get pics on here even tho its a chevy

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Status
    Blog Entries

I had everything to go to a carb...Even rewired my truck for the anticiaption of ditching the PCM...

Then I snagged a FAST XFI for cheap and sold all the carb stuff.

In the meantime Chris nailed my WOT AF first time, I just have an idle issue. If I can get this thing running right with the stock PCM I'm selling the FAST. I just want a stout brakcet motor, I'll never be the fastest, but I can be the most consistant.
    Chris @ PIE? It isn't simple to tune with SCT but it can be done. I wanna see a consistant street drive FAST(or any) set up all I hear is talk and no walk around here

Lmao chas..Id be happy with the setup you got that thing fuckin hauls ass for 310hp but he is too stubborn and set in his ways so n/a for now. Not like it matters i dont have 4000 for parts plus the motor rebuilt and a 727 and new gearing. lol maybe in another 5 years ill be able to
    Who does have 4g sitting around these days

i wont touch this one

Just call me George W

Not many people do. But i dont want to do anything to the truck until i have the funding saved up. dyno and drag the truck stock then go back new driveline and slicks. No offense to anyone reading but I dont feel like adding a mod here a mod there. I want a transformation lol

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

I wasted over 500 dollars on a AEM intake and a Mopar PCM. I couldn't tell a difference at all. Only in my wallet because of premium and 5200rpm shift point didnt do shit but suck down more gas. A fuckin dog after 4k IMO

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

True that. And my redneck dad cant do a damn thing with a computer. give him a screwdriver and he will tune any carburated car. It took him years to get his 540 in his El camino tuned just right. 950 crank horsepower compared to the older 468 he had in there around 500hp scares the shit out of me
    Doesn't sound like he's all that good.

juuuuussst kidding. relax.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    Doesn't sound like he's all that good.

juuuuussst kidding. relax.
    You got me good you fucker!

He had to change the jets a few times different carbs. He barely drives the thing 50 miles a year.

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

well chas the thing is my dad knows all about carburated cars with no electronics. I added up the parts list to make that 440hp at the crank 360 for about 4000 bucks. I never seen a n/a fuel injected 360 make that much hp for 4000 is all im looking at is the dollar and cents. If i ever did this it would be a once a week driven ride. Just dreaming over here. Im all for turbos but my dad is not. Stubborn i tell ya. I just can get him to build it up labor free so ill go n/a
    FWIW, a basic heads/ cam/ bolt-on combo on your 360 will give you about 300 rwhp. I think Robs Lil Orange Furor is making around 330 rwhp. Considering the drivetrain loss through the heavy 46re, truck 9 1/4 rear, and wheels made out of Mallory metal, that normally means 400- 475 at the crank.

These magnums make power much easier than the old LA engines, but a 4400 lb truck with 28" tires won't run the same as a 3500 lb A body.

Figure 2k for heads, cam, rockers, pushrods, etc. Another 1k for a 4bbl M1, F&B, and SCT, and 1k for exhaust. $4000 for 450 crank HP is not hard, I only have about $3500 in my combo, it made 290 rwhp with a small smog friendly cam. Since then, I ditched the mechanical fan and the cats, I might be near 300 now, and I left 20-30 HP on the table with the small cam.

Drops panties faster than any R/T

How much drivetrain loss is expected?

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast