+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need help getting started...

Banned

Status

Default I need help getting started...

I've been browsing the SCCA site and it's a bit overwhelming for someone "outside of the loop". I'm really interested in getting my license so I can do some auto-cross event,s some track racing and drag racing too. I really want to get on this and start getting on a track with the R/T...

Any help? I need to be guided...

Quote Originally Posted by ddrango View Post
    I've been browsing the SCCA site and it's a bit overwhelming for someone "outside of the loop". I'm really interested in getting my license so I can do some auto-cross event,s some track racing and drag racing too. I really want to get on this and start getting on a track with the R/T...

Any help? I need to be guided...
    Find your local SCCA chapter, register for an event, and then show up in your Dakota R/T. Bring a helmet if you have one, otherwise most SCCA chapters have some rentals you can use for a few bucks. As long as your tires are in good shape and your truck isn't falling apart, then you should be able to run as-is. I wouldn't worry about trying to reconfigure anything on your truck for the first time - just go out there and drive and have a good time. You'll probably suck ass for the first few runs until you learn the ropes, but that happens to everyone - driving between the cones is totally different than driving on the street. Most SCCA chapters will allow passengers - if available, have someone ride with you to give advice, and try to piggyback in someone else's car while they're driving.

I learned a lot from a guy who drives an old piece of shit honda that's completely configured for autocrossing. That thing probably runs 20's in the quarter mile, but he beats the pants off of most of the other vehicles on the course.
    SinCity R/T
    01 SV CC R/T * 03 BK CC R/T * 03 BW RC R/T * 98 BK RC R/T * 99 DA CC R/T * 03 BW CC R/T

Banned

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SinCity R/T View Post
    Find your local SCCA chapter, register for an event, and then show up in your Dakota R/T. Bring a helmet if you have one, otherwise most SCCA chapters have some rentals you can use for a few bucks. As long as your tires are in good shape and your truck isn't falling apart, then you should be able to run as-is. I wouldn't worry about trying to reconfigure anything on your truck for the first time - just go out there and drive and have a good time. You'll probably suck ass for the first few runs until you learn the ropes, but that happens to everyone - driving between the cones is totally different than driving on the street. Most SCCA chapters will allow passengers - if available, have someone ride with you to give advice, and try to piggyback in someone else's car while they're driving.

I learned a lot from a guy who drives an old piece of shit honda that's completely configured for autocrossing. That thing probably runs 20's in the quarter mile, but he beats the pants off of most of the other vehicles on the course.
    So I don't need a license??? I will check this out though...

Status

Just show up as mentioned. It's gonna take you a while to learn how to read cones and not miss gates. Most autocross courses cross back over themselves. At speed it can be daunting. Take the course walk with an instructor if possible. It helps. See if they have an instructor that does novice ride alongs. That helps the most.

The only license you need is your drivers license. Road course and autocross are two different things. Very different speeds and you'll find out how much your brakes suck on a road course.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Quote Originally Posted by ddrango View Post
    So I don't need a license??? I will check this out though...
    You will need a standard driver's license, but nothing special beyond that to autocross.
    SinCity R/T
    01 SV CC R/T * 03 BK CC R/T * 03 BW RC R/T * 98 BK RC R/T * 99 DA CC R/T * 03 BW CC R/T

Banned

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mtlcafan79 View Post
    Just show up as mentioned. It's gonna take you a while to learn how to read cones and not miss gates. Most autocross courses cross back over themselves. At speed it can be daunting. Take the course walk with an instructor if possible. It helps. See if they have an instructor that does novice ride alongs. That helps the most.

The only license you need is your drivers license. Road course and autocross are two different things. Very different speeds and you'll find out how much your brakes suck on a road course.
    Alright great. I'm familiar with auto-cross and road course and how it works, but my truck is basically stock now other than hotchkis so I want to get a basic feel, and as I mod I compare the difference. Viper brakes, new rear axle and c-notch are in the future, and a fuel cell centered in the back for better weight distribution. That should be plenty to play with!

Quote Originally Posted by SinCity R/T View Post
    You will need a standard driver's license, but nothing special beyond that to autocross.
    Alright cool! Thanks.

Status

Honestly a dedicated set of autocross slicks/wheels and driving experience are probably the two most important things you can do. I'd put money into tires and wouldn't bother with those other things IMHO. One of the fastest cars I've seen was a stock neon with a set of Kumho race slicks. Guy could drive and it made all the difference.

You have Hotchkis which will put you in E Street Prepared already. Some places might try to put you in Street Modified if you get carried away with your mods. Either way you'll have your behind handed to you buy cars with full race suspension setups and slicks. I would race as is and try to make it to as many events as possible to build up stick time. Talk to the people at the events and pick up as many tips as you can. A lot of it falls on the driver.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Under Construction..Again

Status

As far as the truck goes, they are not going to check for much. Make sure the battery is clamped down (your stock setup is fine), and your lugnuts are all there and tight. Thats about all they check for other than decent tires. Otherwise your good to go. Some of them also require you to remove your floormats which is a good idea anyway.

Status

I have a feeling I'm gonna struggle putting a club cab truck through these cones, but I'm gonna go to the next event here.

My question is; should I drive the truck in the "2" gear? The reason I ask is because if I race it in drive, it will be constantly be downshifting..

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I have a feeling I'm gonna struggle putting a club cab truck through these cones, but I'm gonna go to the next event here.

My question is; should I drive the truck in the "2" gear? The reason I ask is because if I race it in drive, it will be constantly be downshifting..

It all depends on the course layout. I've done some in a high school parking lot, where i could stay in 1st. Another track we raced at was at an airfield, where that was needing all the gears. so it all depends on the layout.

WOW! i just watched that vid of the AutoX truck. i'm on the right track with mods, just gotta work on driver skill. you are an inspiration to me just let you know!

+ Reply to Thread