View Poll Results: Your preference concerning an x-brace and front driveshaft loop:

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • The x-brace with front driveshaft loop built into it.

8 26.67%
  • The x-brace alone.

7 23.33%
  • The option of adding the front driveshaft loop at a later date.

15 50.00%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: X-Brace / Front Driveshaft Loop

Supporting Vendor

Status

Default Poll: X-Brace / Front Driveshaft Loop

I am fabricating an x-brace for my ’98 CC Dakota R/T. I am giving some thought to the possibility of producing the x-brace for sale and am interested in what people think while I am fabricating it. I may or may not reproduce it. Nevertheless, I am building my x-brace as if I was. A proto type if you will.

I thank you in advance for your opinion and participation in the poll.

Edit:

Just a word of clarification: the horizontal bar mocked-up at the front two x-brace legs in the pic is a proposed weld-on driveshaft loop brace that is still in the design stages. I'm also working on a possible bolt-on unit. The black piece is a driveshaft loop I already fabricated but it can only be installed if the exhaust is removed in order to drill the holes in the frame. This wouldn't be good for most people I presume.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 03-04-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Banned

Status

Price??

Supporting Vendor

Status

Price??
    I don't know yet. I'll have to finish it and see where I'm at.

Banned

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    I don't know yet. I'll have to finish it and see where I'm at.
    It looks real good. I wouldn't mind getting one in raw steel (steel is what you're using right?) and getting it painted or powder coated myself, only if it was that cheap.

Supporting Vendor

Status

It looks real good.
    Thanks!

I wouldn't mind getting one in raw steel (steel is what you're using right?)
    Yes it's steel.

...and getting it painted or powder coated myself...
    That might very well be an option.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 03-04-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Banned

Status

I may be in, price pending and when they go on sale
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

Under Construction..Again

Status

Looks real good, might I give a word of advice. Those bolts you have in the back are going to be ground down to a nub in no time if your lowered. Looks like you have bilsteins in the back so I will assume you have a Hotchkis? I have the Hotchkis with a kenny brown brace that doesn't hang down as much as yours does and I ground the bolts clear to the nuts on sidewalk ramps ect. Might not be as bad on a RC though. Anyway, looks good so far

Status

Looks stout , The best I've seen so for.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Looks real good, might I give a word of advice. Those bolts you have in the back are going to be ground down to a nub in no time if your lowered. Looks like you have bilsteins in the back so I will assume you have a Hotchkis? I have the Hotchkis with a kenny brown brace that doesn't hang down as much as yours does and I ground the bolts clear to the nuts on sidewalk ramps ect. Might not be as bad on a RC though. Anyway, looks good so far
    Thanks! Yes I have the Hotchkis TVS with a 2-3 drop. Actually mine doesn’t hang down any further than the Kenny Brown or the TVR. The hardware at the center of the brace is a total of 2” thick, and a tad more with the bolts protruding down (which is the same depth as the Kenny Brown brace). The TVR brace is 2 ¼” thick, and a tad more with the bolts protruding down.

I’ve had to be careful with large speed bumps with the Slide-o-link CalTracks on the back which hang down a lot further than the center of the truck. That is a trade off I’m willing to make for increased performance. I do appreciate your opinion.

Looks stout , The best I've seen so for.
    Thanks man. I've got a lot of hours into it. I started out really similar to the Kenny Brown brace but made some changes along the way.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 03-05-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Status

Looks very nice. Your front mounts attach to the crossmember, where do the Kenny Brown and TVR front mounts attach?

Nolan
    3 Second Margin of Victory How many bullets does that thing hold?
    Remember, go as fast as possible and take all unnecessary chances.

Status

Some of us already have a loop so I'd be interested in an X without it depending on price shipped to 22172. CC here btw.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Looks very nice. Your front mounts attach to the crossmember, where do the Kenny Brown and TVR front mounts attach?
    Thanks! I used the same front attaching points as the Kenny Brown brace. From what I can tell from pics, and depending on where the center crossmember is attached, the TVR brace attaches to the frame rail by or short of the transmission crossmember.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Some of us already have a loop so I'd be interested in an X without it depending on price shipped to 22172. CC here btw.
    I am currently in the process of designing and fabricating the front driveshaft loop. If I produce the x-brace, I would probably offer it with three options: 1) without the loop; 2) with the loop with the loop crossmember welded in (although this version would require a more elaborate production fixture); and 3) with the loop crossmember bolted in. That is why I am conducting a poll. I want to see what people may or may not be interested in. I have to finish mocking-up and fabricating, and then make a fixture/jig for repeatability in the production process. It may be a situation where I produce to order. The pic in the first post is the weld-on loop crossmember mocked up. The attached pics in this post represent the bolt-in version of the loop that is yet to be finished.

I’m curious, what type of loop do you already have?
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 08-01-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Banned

Status

You're making nice progress...I'm impressed. Where are you located? I think you should number the x-braces...

Edit: Ok I just saw you're in Michigan, cool.

Supporting Vendor

Status

You're making nice progress...I'm impressed. Where are you located? I think you should number the x-braces...
    Thanks! Why would you number them?

Banned

Status

Thanks! Why would you number them?
    It would be a cool piece if it was numbered...plus if anyone had any sort of problems with them mechanically, you'd be able to trace when you made it. I just think it's kind of cool to say "I have number 004 made" lol

Supporting Vendor

Status

This might be an option.

Status

That's a very nice piece of work. I would be seriously interested in buying at least one Club Cab X-brace, possibly 2 depending on the price.

Nolan
    3 Second Margin of Victory How many bullets does that thing hold?
    Remember, go as fast as possible and take all unnecessary chances.

Supporting Vendor

Status

That's a very nice piece of work. I would be seriously interested in buying at least one Club Cab X-brace, possibly 2 depending on the price.
    Thanks Nolan! I’m still working out some details such as the driveshaft loop and crossmember for vehicles that didn’t come with it. Then I have to build a fixture for production. Once I have everything figured out, I can calculate the price. I’m trying to do things as economical as possible and at the same time produce something of quality that has form as well as function. I appreciate your interest.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Just finished the rear driveshaft loop. It will also serve to strengthen the frame. No drilling required. Uses existing holes.

Banned

Status

God damn...that's nice! I want I want I want

Status

Just finished the rear driveshaft loop. It will also serve to strengthen the frame. No drilling required. Uses existing holes.
    Nice fab work, I like it, I got 2 questions for ya, you are doing a front loop too, right? and will it meet the NHRA tech. ?

Supporting Vendor

Status

Nice fab work, I like it,
    Thank you!

I got 2 questions for ya, you are doing a front loop too, right?
    Yes I’m making a front driveshaft loop. Right now I’m in the design and mock-up process to make sure it is the best I can make and in a low volume production capacity in my garage. See reply #15 for the mock-up of the bolt-on one for the x-brace and reply #17 for an optional enhanced loop design. Also the three pics down below.

and will it meet the NHRA tech. ?
    Tracks vary in regard to their view and enforcement of the rules. See the following link: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...2&Main=4780709

NHRA rules are as follows: “In place of a crossmember, in the vicinity of the front universal joint, all cars in competition using open driveshafts, must have a retainer loop 360-degrees of enclosure, 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) minimum thickness and 2-inches (5.1 cm) wide, or 7/8-inch (22.2 mm) x .065-inch (1.65 mm) welded steel tubing, securely mounted and located within 6-inches (15.2 cm) of the front universal joint for support of the driveshaft in event of U-joint failure.”

I have designed the front and rear loop within the NHRA guidelines. I’m using 1”OD X .120 for the loop and it is within 6” of the universal joint. I am using grade-8 fasteners.

I also plan to make a front driveshaft loop that can be used alone without the x-brace.

Edit: I may use 1"OD by .109 for the loop but that still exceeds the minimum requirement of .065 by quite a bit.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 08-01-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Status

Thanks for the quick answers, I should have looked at the previous pics, Now that I have, Wow nice work! I def. would be interested in purchasing X-brace with front loop, probably rear loop too. Thanks,
    Gwyn

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast