+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Double din install

Default Double din install

Figured I'd post this to help others along the way with some ideas. If nothing else just something for everyone to look at and critic.

Started with a standard bezel and some fiberglass,

Then while that dried I rough fit the radio into place.

Put a few layers of glass down and rough sanded it with a dremel:

Then after a bunch of cutting, and fitting, and cutting, and fitting, I got to my stopping point for the night.

Still needs some filler and final shaping but I'm going to do that after I get the gauge pods installed.

Been talking to Rob, and going for this look to go with the DD install:

Still a long ways from being done, however it's a start.

When I'm finally happy with it I'll send it out to be hydrodipped. Although I prefer it to be somewhere local I can drop off and pick up. I would be royally pissed if after I finished it was destroyed in shipping.

Hope y'all enjoy.
    Last edited by stock4now642000; 09-16-2014 at 01:34 PM.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

That looks really good already. I did something similar with mine in this thread: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26479
    I'm not sure if I had ever seen the original dashboard modified to fit a double-din before so I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by stock4now642000 View Post
    Still a long ways from being done, however it's a start.
    It's a big start because the hard part is getting the radio mounted and making sure the custom hole in the dash matches the position of the radio and you've already done that part.
    BTW: it may never be done. Mine has been "done" three times now and I may tweak it a forth time since I am not completely satisfied with the smoothness and perfection of the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    That looks really good already. I did something similar with mine in this thread: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26479
    I'm not sure if I had ever seen the original dashboard modified to fit a double-din before so I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it is done.

Thanks man, I've done it before in my old Ram, but I just cut the hole and left it unfinished. Want this thing to look as factory as possible.

It's a big start because the hard part is getting the radio mounted and making sure the custom hole in the dash matches the position of the radio and you've already done that part.
    BTW: it may never be done. Mine has been "done" three times now and I may tweak it a forth time since I am not completely satisfied with the smoothness and perfection of the details.
    Yeah that is the tought part, figuring out where to put it then measuring to cut the hole out.

I'm at about the stage as your first time around, the edges are all wavy and need to be redone. How did you redo the edges? the second pic in that thread looks really good.

I feel you on the never being done thing. Seems to never end.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Yeah that is the tought part, figuring out where to put it then measuring to cut the hole out.

I'm at about the stage as your first time around, the edges are all wavy and need to be redone. How did you redo the edges? the second pic in that thread looks really good.

I feel you on the never being done thing. Seems to never end.

I'm embarrassed to say I just don't remember how I redid it, but if I had to do it now I know two ways I'd do it:

1) I'd make or buy some sort of sanding block with two sides held at a 90 degree angle and then gently sand down until each side is flat and the corner perfect.

2) Make a block out of wood or something similar the size of the hole and then cover it with smooth packing tape. Then sit it inside the dash shell and squeeze fresh fiberglass resin or uncured Bondo between the dash shell and the block. Wait for it to cure and then the block should pop out leaving perfectly flat and crisp sides.

When sanding just make sure to take it nice and slow.

Well have a little more done, made these tabs to hold the radio in place, since there isn't much to hold it in.

Then started working on the filler work:

Still have some holes to fill and sand, and some high spots to sand down, however, I feel it's coming along decently. Especially, since I've never done this, in this much detail and finishing work, before.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Looking good
    Did you double check the to see if the frame fits around the unit? How solid is the radio in the slot because it sounds like you're saying that it is loose. Will it come out on the road?

And, yes, about the finishing work. You'll get to the point where you'll think that the paint will cover imperfections. It won't. lol. In fact I swear it makes them stand out even more.

Fits like a glove!

It's not loose the only thing holding it in, without the brackets, is the visible plastic, nothing behind that.
    Without the brackets the rear of the deck would sag and point at the ceiling. The brackets helped with alignment and keeping it secure. The hole I cut in the dash is snug and holds it still.

Almost done, all that's left it final sanding and getting sent off to be hydrodipped.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Wait... what are those and what would they be like impacting your body at 60mph? Maybe it wouldn't ever hit, but I always wonder what the safety impacts are to interior modifications and I can't help but wonder if I'd hit those... Maybe not...

Gauge pods for a couple of gauges.

Hitting them I assume would feel like hitting the dash, probably break my hand if I happen to be holding that side of the steering wheel.

Very cool...I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I hate working with fiber glass and would never have the patience to do this
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Thanks man, it's pretty tedious and annoys me sometimes. But I'm eager to see it finished, and should drop it off in the next week or so for the dip and finally be done with it.

Kinda of a rough look, still waiting on the hydro guy to let me know when to drop it off, but here's where I stand with a light coat of paint and my mock-up gauge installed.

Status

I want to install a double din in my truck too! looks great

Your brave, cutting up your bezel like that

Well when you can't buy what you want... The only way to get it is to sack up, and have a spare one just in case. lol

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Well when you can't buy what you want... The only way to get it is to sack up, and have a spare one just in case. lol
    I did the reverse and bought a spare from a junk yard that I cut up to test out what I wanted to do. I felt a little bad wasting a parts that's no longer manufactured.

Man that looks good!! If your interested in making another double din and a three Guage pod let me know. I have a couple extra dashes......

I did the reverse and bought a spare from a junk yard that I cut up to test out what I wanted to do. I felt a little bad wasting a parts that's no longer manufactured.
    Yeah I bought a nice spare to have just incase my plan didn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddDawg11 View Post
    Man that looks good!! If your interested in making another double din and a three Guage pod let me know. I have a couple extra dashes......
    I would try the three gauge pod but wouldn't sell ol them quite yet, I like it for me but wouldn't feel comfortable selling them until I get them down pretty good. It would also have to be cool with Rob, since this idea came from him and he helped me out a bunch along the way.

Double din would be almost impossible, because if I made it you'd have to cut the dash behind it perfectly. Too many factors play into a double din and I would need the truck here to do it.

I understand. I might try my hand at it then. Just would need a little guidance.
    Last edited by MuddDawg11; 01-06-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Status

There is a company online that sells the reformed bezels to fit the double din units. I wonder if they give detailed instructions on how to fit the radio...
    '04 Dakota AWD w/ Jasper 4.7l V8 & Reflexxions Cowl hood
    3" BL, ProZen Intake, Ionic Nerf Bars
    Steel Skid Plates, GTS Taillight Blackouts
    Custom Consoles front and back w/ B&M Mega Shifter

Do you have a link?

I'd like to browse them a bit.

Status

Do you have a link?

I'd like to browse them a bit.
    http://shop.doubledmods.com/Dodge-Du...01-03Bezel.htm
    '04 Dakota AWD w/ Jasper 4.7l V8 & Reflexxions Cowl hood
    3" BL, ProZen Intake, Ionic Nerf Bars
    Steel Skid Plates, GTS Taillight Blackouts
    Custom Consoles front and back w/ B&M Mega Shifter

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

I wonder how that bezel works because these trucks aren't designed for a double din so you have to make your own custom mounts and (in my case at least) cut some of the metal out of the dash above the top of the radio. It might be easier to mount the radio then customize the bezel than use a prefab bezel and fit the radio to its opening. It must include dimensions and mounting gear.

I wonder how that bezel works because these trucks aren't designed for a double din so you have to make your own custom mounts and (in my case at least) cut some of the metal out of the dash above the top of the radio. It might be easier to mount the radio then customize the bezel than use a prefab bezel and fit the radio to its opening. It must include dimensions and mounting gear.
    That's my thinking as well. Would be really hard, at least I think, to fit the radio perfect to an opening without instructions.

Maybe I'll call today to figure it out, if I get time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast