View Poll Results: Your preference concerning an x-brace and front driveshaft loop:

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • The x-brace with front driveshaft loop built into it.

8 26.67%
  • The x-brace alone.

7 23.33%
  • The option of adding the front driveshaft loop at a later date.

15 50.00%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Poll: X-Brace / Front Driveshaft Loop

Status
    Blog Entries

id be interested in a driveshaft loop

Supporting Vendor

Status

Still plugging away at it. As soon as I have things finalized and a price set, I'll let you know and you can decide from there.

Thanks!

Supporting Vendor

Status

Today I finished the prototype x-brace, front driveshaft loop, and rear frame brace/driveshaft loop. I bolted everything up tight and took it for a test drive. My first impression is:

1. The truck seems to hold the road better; it is more sure footed.
    2. It seems to go through the turns on a flatter plane than before.
    3. The frame's not twisting as much judging by the bed not moving around a lot in relation to the cab.
    4. The truck isn't squirrelly while chattering over multiple potholes like it was before. It stays straight and the rear end doesn't kick out sideways.
    5. It seems to accelerate better and straighter off the line. The power appears to go to the road instead of being absorbed twisting the frame.
    6. The system seems to compliment the Hotchkis TVS, and I assume it would be very noticeable in a vehicle without it.
    7. And, you don’t notice the x-brace and other components standing next to or at a fair distance from the truck. You really have to crouch down on your hands and knees to see it.

So far I am very pleased with it. I’ll play with it again tomorrow and make sure nothing is moving, rubbing, or breaking…and take care of anything that might need correcting.

I still have to make the main crossmember for vehicles without it, and other fixtures to duplicate parts with. I completed the front driveshaft loop fixture today, as well as the fixture for making the clamps. It is a very elaborate fixture for such a simple looking part. Everything has to be indexed and positioned just right, so the precut and fashioned pieces that make up the loop go in, and are perfectly located for welding. And, that it fits correctly in the vehicle. Easier said than done.

I will continue to work on it tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 03-20-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Banned

Status

Just a little advice with pricing, you should price it like this:

materials $$$ + thought/fabrication $$$ = cost

I would NOT go crazy with how much you want to add for your fabrication and thinking on top of materials...you'd have enough buyers to make a ton of profit anyway.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Today I finished the prototype x-brace, front driveshaft loop, and rear frame brace/driveshaft loop. I bolted everything up tight and took it for a test drive. My first impression is:

1. The truck seems to hold the road better; it is more sure footed.
    2. It seems to go through the turns on a flatter plane than before.
    3. The frame's not twisting as much judging by the bed not moving around a lot in relation to the cab.
    4. The truck isn't squirrelly while chattering over multiple potholes like it was before. It stays straight and the rear end doesn't kick out sideways.
    5. It seems to accelerate better and straighter off the line. The power appears to go to the road instead of being absorbed twisting the frame.
    6. The system seems to compliment the Hotchkis TVS, and I assume it would be very noticeable in a vehicle without it.
    7. And, you don’t notice the x-brace and other components standing next to or at a fair distance from the truck. You really have to crouch down on your hands and knees to see it.

So far I am very pleased with it. I’ll play with it again tomorrow and make sure nothing is moving, rubbing, or breaking…and take care of anything that might need correcting.

I still have to make the main crossmember for vehicles without it, and other fixtures to duplicate parts with. I completed the front driveshaft loop fixture today, as well as the fixture for making the clamps. It is a very elaborate fixture for such a simple looking part. Everything has to be indexed and positioned just right, so the precut and fashioned pieces that make up the loop go in, and are perfectly located for welding. And, that it fits correctly in the vehicle. Easier said than done.

I will continue to work on it tomorrow.
    Thanks for continuing on to perfection with this system. When you finalize things to include pricing, could you also provide the total weight this is going to add to our rides?

Supporting Vendor

Status

When you finalize things to include pricing, could you also provide the total weight this is going to add to our rides?
    It should weigh about the same as the Kenny Brown brace. I’ll have to figure that out.

Banned

Status

Yea good point...gotta know how much it weighs!

Supporting Vendor

Status

Okay. The calculated weight for the x-brace should be right around 21# plus the weight of the fasteners. The crossmember for trucks without the factory crossmember should be about 8#. The stock crossmember weighs about the same. I'll have to know the actual weight for shipping purposes so it will all be weighed on a scale some time in the future.

Banned

Status

Okay. The calculated weight for the x-brace should be right around 21# plus the weight of the fasteners. The crossmember for trucks without the factory crossmember should be about 8#. The stock crossmember weighs about the same. I'll have to know the actual weight for shipping purposes so it will all be weighed on a scale some time in the future.
    So when am I getting mine!

Status

Haven't heard from grapejuice so if you want to make some of those loops, I'm up for one. I'm RC so not really needing the X at this point.
    The Dakota RT is gone... but not forgotten.

'15 Granite Crystal Metallic SRT 392.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Haven't heard from grapejuice so if you want to make some of those loops, I'm up for one. I'm RC so not really needing the X at this point.
    You're referring to just the front loop? I'll be working on that design shortly.

Status

You're referring to just the front loop? I'll be working on that design shortly.
    Yes. Just the front loop.

Nice looking work btw.

Status

If you make for a rc I'm interested.

Supporting Vendor

Status

If you make for a rc I'm interested.
    I am gradually progressing with this project. I do plan to tackle the RC at some point.

Status

Def looking at getting a xbrace for my dak. 99CC. Any idea on price or time yet?

These were suppose to be made a few times by other members, but never finalized anything I guess.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Any idea on price or time yet?
    I almost have the crossmember complete for the vehicles that didn't come with a factory crossmember. I am working on the front driveshaft loop for use without an x-brace and am about to start work on the fixtures for the x-brace and rear driveshaft loop. I have been looking into powder coaters and figuring out packaging for damage-free shipment. I'm also trying to find better pricing on raw steel. This takes more time than one may think. I'm hoping to be ready to produce in 2 to 3 weeks. When the fixtures are made, I want to produce a few x-braces to see how long it takes in labor. Once I have my best price on materials and know how long it will take to produce them, I will be better equipped to set a price. I appreciate your interest.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 03-27-2009 at 10:31 PM.

I'm very interested in awhole setup for my '01...Hell I'll even drive up to pick it up....I'm watching this post like a hawk....

Status

Here's a pic if it helps. It's pretty close but above the frame rails.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Here's a pic if it helps. It's pretty close but above the frame rails.
    Looks good. Thanks!

Supporting Vendor

Status

Got the prototype of the front driveshaft loop for use without an x-brace almost completed. Its crossmember is about 1/4" below the frame rail. I'll finish it tomorrow.

Also the prototype crossmember for the vehicles without the factory crossmember is just about finished. Hopefully I'll have that completed tomorrow too.

I may try to make a front driveshaft loop for vehicles with the Kenny Brown X-brace while I have my vehicle torn apart.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 03-29-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Status

Got the prototype of the front driveshaft loop for use without an x-brace almost completed. Its crossmember is about 1/4" below the frame rail. I'll finish it tomorrow.

Also the prototype crossmember for the vehicles without the factory crossmember is just about finished. Hopefully I'll have that completed tomorrow too.

I may try to make a front driveshaft loop for vehicles with the Kenny Brown X-brace while I have my vehicle torn apart.
    It's looking good.

Dodge and ASE Certified

Status

Hell yea that look sweet!!!!
    Mods:MagnaFlow dual, adjusted TSP senser, and Mopar Valve Covers, Mopar M1 Ported, Holley 52MM TB, 180* T-stat, Mopar Performance Wires and HP Cap and rotor, K&N XStream Top, 4in tall K&N Filter, FBI roll pan and SRT Hood, SS Generation 2 bumper, Smoked Onepeace headlights, Hotckis custom TVS ... soon to Have Ported 2.02" Heads and Long tube Headers and true duals..... 02 Dakota R/T- SOld, 2000 Wrangler, '96 Mystic Cobra and '74 Ply. Road Runner

Banned

Status

Anything?? I'm still interested...

Supporting Vendor

Status

Anything?? I'm still interested...
    I've got two more fixtures to make and then I should be able to produce a few to see how long it takes. Believe me, the fixtures are more involved than one may think. I'm still plugging away at it. (I see why Kenny Brown wanted so much for his fixtures.)
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 04-07-2009 at 05:10 AM.

Banned

Status

I've got two more fixtures to make and then I should be able to produce a few to see how long it takes. Believe me, the fixtures are more involved than one may think. I'm still plugging away at it. (I see why Kenny Brown wanted so much for his fixtures.)
    Alright sounds promising!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast