6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carb

0 0%
  • EFI ( stock style)

6 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Just food for thought, 426 Magnum

I'm going for a "tame" engine for planning. Tame is a bad word. I should say conservitive, at this point. Just doing some homework, seeing if this is possable or even worth the trouble
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

Heads

Just making a wish list, so work with me
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

KRC 236x Cam:
    236/242-555/575 112
    2800-6600 Operating Range.
    "This cam requires an SCT Tuner and beehive valve springs. Iron heads require the seat pocket to be cut to accept the beehive springs"

Also thinking that a M Saine Valve body and a Locker in the ass w/ 4.56's is a must.
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

Status

Might want to look at Indy's selection as well from. From what I hear I think they make a head that allows magnum accessories to be used.

You can use just about any Small Block head.
    Just a matter if you want to keep the Magnum Acc. or not? Even that can be done as well.
    Tha DakFink: 1999 Solar Yellow R/Three 468cui, W9-RP heads, Twin 76mm Turbos, Powerglide Trans. , Bob's Fab Shop 25.3 SFI Chassis for 10.5W racing .
    (Still in the Fab Shop)

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block

Status

If that Ryan guy at Shady Dell has a cnc program for the Eddy's, you're better off buying through him. Should be able to save a little bit of money doing it that way as opposed to buying elsewhere then sending them to him.
    The Dakota RT is gone... but not forgotten.

'15 Granite Crystal Metallic SRT 392.

Already talkin to them, information wise. Also trading a few emails with Southeast Performance. This is looking like a great idea for the truck.... just not for the wallet. I can see a badass R/T if this happens, and lots of nights sleepin on the ship because the wife will kill me if I go home lol
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    I'd agree with this, make sure the tune is good though. Not too rich.
    Hemifever sent me a nitrous tune.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

I haven't started talkin to HemiFever yet... want to first decide if it's even worth it to try to build this monster, or do something like a 408?
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Intense RT View Post
    With the high DA, you should be able to spray it more due to starting with less cyl pressure anyway. Not a nitrous guru though. I'd ask some trusted locals. That or forced induction. You could always just turn the boost up and the same principles should apply. Same with more compression than normal.
    Just had this same discussion with Duner and he is running more boost than usual. IIRC 14-15psi.

Boost still feels the effects of the lower-altitude pressure but not as much as N/A applications
    Tha DakFink: 1999 Solar Yellow R/Three 468cui, W9-RP heads, Twin 76mm Turbos, Powerglide Trans. , Bob's Fab Shop 25.3 SFI Chassis for 10.5W racing .
    (Still in the Fab Shop)

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Hemifever sent me a nitrous tune.
    That's just a jumping off point though. You'll need to do some data logging with that tune, before he can really tune it properly.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

gen III traitor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior Poet View Post
    Already talkin to them, information wise. Also trading a few emails with Southeast Performance. This is looking like a great idea for the truck.... just not for the wallet. I can see a badass R/T if this happens, and lots of nights sleepin on the ship because the wife will kill me if I go home lol
    john is a fucking joke. To be honest he is a piece of shit when it comes to standing behind his products when they dont last.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    john is a fucking joke. To be honest he is a piece of shit when it comes to standing behind his products when they dont last.
    Thats the message I'm getting. The only thing I was worried about, really, was the side skirts for the pinch weld. $950 shipped? Then something about the guy who made the headers, just doesn't make them anymore.... So It's back to spintechs, sweet. At this point, I'm taking notes and shopping around.

Side note, If I do get engine in truck, what other needs do you think there would be IE rear end/suspention, Tires ( 325/45/17's from M&H), and cooling for sure. Please, keep tossing ideas out here on this guys, I need all the help I can get

So, I'm more then likely going to try to build this beast after deployment in my one year in San Dawg. As a thought, is this even thinkable in a stock block?

426 CI
    10.39/1 CR w/ 58cc heads
    4.030 bore, fordged pistons, 1/16",1/16",3/16" rings
    4.180 stroke
    6.123" fordged H beam rod @ 628 GRAMS, 2.810" main journals, 1.988 rod journals
    Fordged crank
    1852 GRAMS bob weight
    Rod-stroke ratio is 1.464/1
    " rod to block clearence is 0.30"

The last one is what scares me.... someone explane
    Last edited by Warrior Poet; 12-25-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

R/Tless...for now

Status

Spintech 1 7/8" long tubes will be better for a 426 anyway. Stock block should be fine since you won't be spraying or boosting it. A set of caltracs and adjustable shocks will help with traction, along with sticky tires. The rod to block clearance is how much clearance you have between the rod end and the block as the rod is rotating, I don't know what the acceptable limits are, but .30" is a good amount of space.

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

Quote Originally Posted by bad425rt View Post
    Spintech 1 7/8" long tubes will be better for a 426 anyway. Stock block should be fine since you won't be spraying or boosting it. A set of caltracs and adjustable shocks will help with traction, along with sticky tires. The rod to block clearance is how much clearance you have between the rod end and the block as the rod is rotating, I don't know what the acceptable limits are, but .30" is a good amount of space.
    Good to know, Spintech rox my sox. NOW, I can justify 2k on headers and exhaust lol.

Should I start thinkin about a 4 barrel TB or maybe the 58mm F&B? And I think I can use the 4 barrel M1 not too
    98 da ccrt
    95 rcsb 5.9/ax15

gen III traitor

Status

Good to know, Spintech rox my sox. NOW, I can justify 2k on headers and exhaust lol.

Should I start thinkin about a 4 barrel TB or maybe the 58mm F&B? And I think I can use the 4 barrel M1 not too
    4bbl IMO but you will probably have to make your own throttle linkage which isnt a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Status

I've also been considering this 426 kit as well. I'd be purchasing the kit from Hughes and having the work done else where. From what I gather, a shorter rod and a larger piston would increase the durability of this kit greatly?
    - Mark

2001 Dakota R/T - HCI and a few other things.
    Broken again... Rebuild underway.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    I've also been considering this 426 kit as well. I'd be purchasing the kit from Hughes and having the work done else where. From what I gather, a shorter rod and a larger piston would increase the durability of this kit greatly?
    Well, I do not know specs, but knowing minimum crown thickness of a piston, a good guess would be to move the ring pack .150-200 down. So... look for a rod that much shorter, then a compression height on the piston that much higher.

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

The rod length for the 426 kit is the same as the 360 and the 408 (6.123").

They use a crank with a longer stroke (4.180" as opposed to a 4.000" for a 408, or a 3.58" for a 360), so if you reduced the length of the rod, you would decrease the displacement. You couldn't make up the rod length reduction with a larger bore (4.030", which is the same as a 408).
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

MMC RETIRED!

Status

yup.. ive been runnin Spntechs for ~5 yrs or so now.... no probs at all (even with the SMOG nazis...)
    1999 DAP CC Dakota-mild/heavy mod
    14.2 Bremerton Raceway `05 NATS

2006 Magnum SRT8
    1 of 555 Brilliant Siver

Mommy mobile

2004 Dodge Caravan SXT

BEATER:
    1991 Honda Civic DX4dr sold at a profit!!

Blown and Squirted

Status

Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post

They use a crank with a longer stroke (4.180" as opposed to a 4.000" for a 408, or a 3.58" for a 360), so if you reduced the length of the rod, you would decrease the displacement. You couldn't make up the rod length reduction with a larger bore (4.030", which is the same as a 408).

Alan are you sure about that? With a 4.18 stroke, and a shorter rod with larger compression height piston, the displacement would be the same, the crown area would get stronger, and the rod ratio would get worse (it's already really bad with the 426 kit.)

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Status

sorry to get off the subject , but im wanting to build a 408 . what is the best place to deal with to get parts like the heads , the strocker kit, allready have intake , throttle body, ejectors and ill be running 11 lbs of boost on it to

Status

If you Rod and Piston combo is set up to return to the same Compression Height then NO it doesn't effect your CUI.

If you ran the shorter rods with the same pistons (which is what we want to get away from) then yes they would come up short in the hole.
    (Still in the Fab Shop)

Status

I'm not quite understanding this. Maybe I'm missing something. If you used a shorter rod with the same piston wouldn't you slightly gain cubes? Now if I shorten the rod and proportionally increase the piston size the CI should stay the same but with added strength.

Also, would a shorter rod effect durability at all?
    - Mark

2001 Dakota R/T - HCI and a few other things.
    Broken again... Rebuild underway.

Status

Stroke of crank remains the same, bore remains the same. Nowhere in the CID formula does it ask for rod length or compression height. You would only be changing the position of the piston in the cylinder at tdc and bdc. You are overcomplicating it guys.

bore x bore x stroke x .7854 = Displacement in cubic inches

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast