+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: manual trans

Default manual trans

i was wondering since some of the rams came 360 5 speed i wanted to know if i could use the transmission out of one of them to swap into my truck,or what is recommended for a put together setup?

Unnamed moocher

Status

you could...but why?

You know some dakotas came with a 5 speed from the factory...right?

i just didnt know if a facotry 5 speed from another dakota could and would be ok behind the 360...i just didnt wanna pay out the ass for the kiesler setup

Unnamed moocher

Status

Well... if you dont have any of the parts readily available... the keisler option may seem expensive till you source all the parts needed for a manual swap.
    Then Im sure the keisler option will cost only a small % more.

Unnamed moocher

Status

and contrary to what some might post... the NV3500 will work in higher hp applications... but you have to keep in mind its a truck transmission...not a severe duty race one.

Status

What's it take to swap a 3500 for a 4500?
    The Dakota RT is gone... but not forgotten.

'15 Granite Crystal Metallic SRT 392.

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

Didn't Keisler quit making them again?
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Status

Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    Didn't Keisler quit making them again?
    I was under the assumption that they had stopped making them also....

These are the questions I asked on DakotaUSA about swapping an NV3500 into my R/T

I know it's been asked before but it doesn't seem that the questions have actually been answered. A lot of speculation and educated guesses but no real answers.

So my questions are these:
    1. Can a 2000 Dakota R/T be converted to 5spd using factory Dodge parts?
    2. Which ECU will work? Stock? 318 Dak? 360 Ram?
    3. How is the 360 balanced? Harmonic balancer off the crank pulley? Torque coverter? Flywheel?
    4. Which flywheel/clutch/pressure plate combo should I use? 318 Dak? 360 Ram? Aftermarket?

I realize that the 318 and 360 are the same externaly so I know that the NV3500 will physically bolt into the truck. My question is will it actually work and not give me problems with the ECU and engine vibration and clutch disengagement, etc...

So, does anyone know the answers to these questions or know someone that does?
    I hate this truck in automatic. It shifts when I don't want it to and doesn't shift when I do :-(

I can't afford the $5k for the Keisler kit so that is out of the question. I have a spare NV3500 kicking around so that will save me on the cost of the conversion.

Thanks in advance for your guidence and patience :-)

These are the answers I got.

Yes, get a Ram flywheel for a 360, this may be kind of difficult from what I hear. They can be kind of rare I guess? or at least pricey.
    Someone with an OBDII truck can correct me but the PCM from your truck "may" work but it might freak out about the lack of a transmission. Then go with a 5.9L Ram PCM.
    3. How is the 360 balanced? Harmonic balancer off the crank pulley? Torque coverter? Flywheel?
    It's balanced externally on the flywheel. Mine is balanced on the flexplate.
    4. Which flywheel/clutch/pressure plate combo should I use? 318 Dak? 360 Ram? Aftermarket?
    Get the flexplate wherever you can, use Dodge OEM for the rest and go with what you like on the clutch. OEM may work but you probably should go with something beefier while it's apart.

Hope this helps, there aren't a lot of people that have done this swap but there are a few. Look for B1llyw on here or bionicdodge.com. He built a (GenII) 408 5-spd truck with a NV3500. Some will tell you that it won't hold up but he had good luck and it was a stout truck. Your best bet may be to find a donor Ram 360 and start pulling parts. I've heard both ways on finding a flywheel but see what you can find.

Status

All you need from Keisler is the bellhousing. They still make them as far as I know. Going through the effort of swapping in a manual I would definitely go for the TKO600 but what do I know.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Quote Originally Posted by mtlcafan79 View Post
    All you need from Keisler is the bellhousing. They still make them as far as I know. Going through the effort of swapping in a manual I would definitely go for the TKO600 but what do I know.
    So, does that mean you used all stock 5spd parts except the trans and bellhousing? Or did you have to order other parts from Keisler?

Status

Got a problem with the 500? Huh? lol No, really, when I owned an '03 Mach and was considering a swap, I felt the 600 was overkill and liked the 500's gear spacing for drag racing the best. Little difference in strength as far as being able to break one. I know the 600 was rated a good bit more in torque capacity.

Status

The factory swap can be accomplished with a trip to the junk yard. The provisions for the factory pedals are already in your truck. The only fab work you have to do for an NV3500 swap is cutting the hole.

The TKO swap is easy with the Keisler BH. It uses factory everything. Yoke, throwout bearing, hydrualics, etc. All you need to fab is a mount and get a custom driveshaft made.

The 600 doesn't have as deep of a first gear and the OD is higher than the 500. Mine boils tires as it is. Extra tq capacity didn't hurt either. You really need it for our trucks. These transmissions have that torque rating in a vehicle that weighs way less than we do. Just keep that in mind. I gave up drag racing mine as it broke everything from the trans back other than the axles.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Unnamed moocher

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 7zark7 View Post
    These are the questions I asked on DakotaUSA about swapping an NV3500 into my R/T

I know it's been asked before but it doesn't seem that the questions have actually been answered. A lot of speculation and educated guesses but no real answers.

So my questions are these:

I realize that the 318 and 360 are the same externaly so I know that the NV3500 will physically bolt into the truck. My question is will it actually work and not give me problems with the ECU and engine vibration and clutch disengagement, etc...

So, does anyone know the answers to these questions or know someone that does?
    I hate this truck in automatic. It shifts when I don't want it to and doesn't shift when I do :-(

I can't afford the $5k for the Keisler kit so that is out of the question. I have a spare NV3500 kicking around so that will save me on the cost of the conversion.

Thanks in advance for your guidence and patience :-)

These are the answers I got.

Yes, get a Ram flywheel for a 360, this may be kind of difficult from what I hear. They can be kind of rare I guess? or at least pricey.
    Someone with an OBDII truck can correct me but the PCM from your truck "may" work but it might freak out about the lack of a transmission. Then go with a 5.9L Ram PCM.
    It's balanced externally on the flywheel. Mine is balanced on the flexplate.
    Get the flexplate wherever you can, use Dodge OEM for the rest and go with what you like on the clutch. OEM may work but you probably should go with something beefier while it's apart.

Hope this helps, there aren't a lot of people that have done this swap but there are a few. Look for B1llyw on here or bionicdodge.com. He built a (GenII) 408 5-spd truck with a NV3500. Some will tell you that it won't hold up but he had good luck and it was a stout truck. Your best bet may be to find a donor Ram 360 and start pulling parts. I've heard both ways on finding a flywheel but see what you can find.

someone recommended a flexplate for a manual trans???

Status

It's Dak-Derrr. Come on.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

I'm pretty sure he mis-typed and meant flywheel.

So, the only question that I'm not satisfied with the answer to is the one about the ECU.

What did you guys that converted use?
    If you kept the stock one, do you see any issues because it's not seeing the auto trans anymore?

Status

What year is your truck?

NM, a 2000. I think that's the last year that you can get the auto trans part flashed out.

The other option would be to try a 5 speed Ram PCM if yours can't be flashed.
    Last edited by mtlcafan79; 12-13-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Unnamed moocher

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 7zark7 View Post
    So, the only question that I'm not satisfied with the answer to is the one about the ECU.

What did you guys that converted use?
    If you kept the stock one, do you see any issues because it's not seeing the auto trans anymore?
    I ran a mopar PCM in my 5speed truck. It was fine initially. Eventually spit every trans code in the book and the truck wasnt drivable under 3600 rpms.

Status

The factory swap can be accomplished with a trip to the junk yard. The provisions for the factory pedals are already in your truck. The only fab work you have to do for an NV3500 swap is cutting the hole.

The TKO swap is easy with the Keisler BH. It uses factory everything. Yoke, throwout bearing, hydrualics, etc. All you need to fab is a mount and get a custom driveshaft made.

The 600 doesn't have as deep of a first gear and the OD is higher than the 500. Mine boils tires as it is. Extra tq capacity didn't hurt either. You really need it for our trucks. These transmissions have that torque rating in a vehicle that weighs way less than we do. Just keep that in mind. I gave up drag racing mine as it broke everything from the trans back other than the axles.
    Well, I can't give that up. I'd be bored then. Guess I'll stay auto for now. Seriously, all that can be addressed. Those torque ratings on the tko's were that load for 24 hours straight I had thought. It was a pretty stout test either way. Weight of vehicle is a consideration, definitely. 500 should be fine. Truetrac, carbon fiber driveshaft would be interesting. CF driveshaft should soften the impact.

Isn't it weird how different forums/makes have different popular mod topics. I know over on Mach1Registry, with all the stick cars around, we wanted cf driveshafts to better driveline longevity, less breakage.

Back in black

Status

Whats the cost for a complete TKO swap assuming most/all the work is done yourself? My auto is on its last leg... throwing around the idea of converting. I guess my only issue would be the truck is an 02, not sure what to do about the PCM.

mtlcafan, any pics of your swap/interior?

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

I wonder if it's just the harness pinouts that are different from year to year. It would be sweet if they could be rearranged to where pretty much any year R/T could run an early model 318 5 speed PCM, with just the swap of a few wires.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Status

Figure $1,600-$1,800 for a new TKO. $300 for the bellhousing if Keisler will sell it to you. Pedals from junkyard $50. $180 for hydraulic system from stealership. $30 for throwout bearing. $400-500 for clutch. $300 for custom mid shift shifter. $275 for pistol grip. Custom trans mount $100? Custom drive shaft $500-800. Using the conservative #'s you're at $3,700 already.

Don't forget the custom PCM tuning too. If you can live with CEL's for emissions, then the PCM can be taken care of. The only 5.2/5.9 manual in 02 was a 2500 Ram. I dunno if that'd work or not.

03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Status

Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    I wonder if it's just the harness pinouts that are different from year to year. It would be sweet if they could be rearranged to where pretty much any year R/T could run an early model 318 5 speed PCM, with just the swap of a few wires.
    The body control computers change so I don't think that'd happen. We have swapped same year 5 speed Ram PCM's and had it work. That would be the best bet on any kind of PCM swap I'd think.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast