+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cooling question guys!!!

Status

Default cooling question guys!!!

Hey, I added a flexalite electric fan to my dak in the winter time, part #180 I believe, Its the one with the shroud. I was just wondering if anyone else is running this fan? It pulls 3300cfm, but my truck in this 90 degree heat stop and go gets up to about 210 ish at which i am not happy. I added some water wetter about a month ago by redline and it didnt help. Is there any other suggestions? everything is clean and new on the truck, so nothing is wrong with the system just runs hot.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jaceracer View Post
    Hey, I added a flexalite electric fan to my dak in the winter time, part #180 I believe, Its the one with the shroud. I was just wondering if anyone else is running this fan? It pulls 3300cfm, but my truck in this 90 degree heat stop and go gets up to about 210 ish at which i am not happy. I added some water wetter about a month ago by redline and it didnt help. Is there any other suggestions? everything is clean and new on the truck, so nothing is wrong with the system just runs hot.
    What temp thermostat do you have in it? If it's the stock on then buy a 180 degree one and put it in
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

Where did you get the 3,300 cfm number from? IIRC, the 180 pulled a LOT less than that.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Status

I have a stock one in it now i for some reason couldnt come up with a lower one at work but i will look again. To answer your question on the 180 part number it says on the website of flexalite that it pulls 3300 cfm.

Status

Honestly, 210 isn't that bad; everybody freaks out when it hits that high like it's the kiss of death, but in ambient temps that hot, you'd be hard-pressed to keep the motor below 200*, unless you're running a Viper fan on high.

As for things to try and cool it down, you could try and do a chemical flush of the cooling system to get rid of scale/rust build-up in the system; if your motor is hi-mileage and you're still rocking the factory water pump, you could try and change that...performance could be degraded. A last-ditch effort would be to either run a 160* T-stat or one of those restrictor rings in place of the T-stat to get more coolant flow through your system.

In all honesty though, I think you're fine. When I moved from Cali to Colorado back in Aug '08, it was ~120* rolling through the Nevada desert. Cruising at 75 with the Viper fan on low or high (didn't matter), my needle consistently stayed on the back-side of the '0' on the 210 number....it didn't drop until I got out of the desert and into cooler weather. Hell, even last summer when it was 90-100* here, my truck hovered around the 210 mark with the viper fan on....but then again, my truck has always been one to run a little on the warm side no matter what; your truck may be the same.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Honestly, 210 isn't that bad; everybody freaks out when it hits that high like it's the kiss of death, but in ambient temps that hot, you'd be hard-pressed to keep the motor below 200*, unless you're running a Viper fan on high.

As for things to try and cool it down, you could try and do a chemical flush of the cooling system to get rid of scale/rust build-up in the system; if your motor is hi-mileage and you're still rocking the factory water pump, you could try and change that...performance could be degraded. A last-ditch effort would be to either run a 160* T-stat or one of those restrictor rings in place of the T-stat to get more coolant flow through your system.

this is true 210 to 220 is about normal. i would set the fan to turn on at 220. heat makes HP!
    AJ Sevey 408ci

Oh ya it's that fast!

Status

My fan set-up comes on at 185 and i disagree that heat makes HP the cooler the better, hence why when you hotlap your times drop.

Status

ya everything on my cooling system is new w/p, Radiator etc. and i do disagree about heat making power never has for me.

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

I have a stock one in it now i for some reason couldnt come up with a lower one at work but i will look again. To answer your question on the 180 part number it says on the website of flexalite that it pulls 3300 cfm.
    Wow, they've really cranked it up since the late 90's when I was looking for an electric fan! They used to pull about 2,600!
    I guess that's the "extreme" part.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Status

210 is NOT hot.

Been working in the radiator business since I was 9, I'm 40 now. If anyone says 210 is overheating tell them to blow it out their ass. You're not doing any damage at 210. It's not ideal from a performance stand point but you are fine.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 Mopar R/T View Post
    this is true 210 to 220 is about normal. i would set the fan to turn on at 220. heat makes HP!
    Heat does not make HP. If that were true then your rwhp numbers would go up the more dyno pulls you make in a row.

Status

Ya I totally understand that 210 isn't overheating. I just ment I don't like it getting there. My daddy was a radiator man himself for 35 years, Jordan's Radiator int OKC.

Status

Ya I totally understand that 210 isn't overheating. I just ment I don't like it getting there. My daddy was a radiator man himself for 35 years, Jordan's Radiator int OKC.
    It's a dirty, dirty business, nothing but lead, copper, tin, acid and all kinds of hazardous waste. Back in 79 we had 2 shops in so cal, Ajax, and The Radiator Shop. And one of my uncles started and still runs one of the largest radiator business in the country, A-1 radiator in Reno, NV.as well as a few others in NV. I've worked in them all and I'm glad I dont do it every day anymore. Its a very poisonus enviornment.

Got Beer?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by stevenz1inoc View Post
    It's a dirty, dirty business, nothing but lead, copper, tin, acid and all kinds of hazardous waste. Back in 79 we had 2 shops in so cal, Ajax, and The Radiator Shop. And one of my uncles started and still runs one of the largest radiator business in the country, A-1 radiator in Reno, NV.as well as a few others in NV. I've worked in them all and I'm glad I dont do it every day anymore. Its a very poisonus enviornment.
    You ever look into if you could remake the dakota ones again?
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

Status

In all honesty though, I think you're fine. When I moved from Cali to Colorado back in Aug '08, it was ~120* rolling through the Nevada desert. Cruising at 75 with the Viper fan on low or high (didn't matter), my needle consistently stayed on the back-side of the '0' on the 210 number....it didn't drop until I got out of the desert and into cooler weather. Hell, even last summer when it was 90-100* here, my truck hovered around the 210 mark with the viper fan on....but then again, my truck has always been one to run a little on the warm side no matter what; your truck may be the same.
    Wait you live in denver?

Ryan-
    2003 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
    2000 Red CC-Sold Maybe get another someday
    84 Chevy k10( built 350 370hp...)underconstruction
    1991 GMC on 38s-sold
    05 Kawasaki ZX-6R Plasma Blue

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ADakotaRTGuy View Post
    You ever look into if you could remake the dakota ones again?
    No not yet, I've been busy at my print shop and trying to promote more business there. In my free time I've been working on my suspension mods. I'll try though. I know people are interested.

Heat does not make HP. If that were true then your rwhp numbers would go up the more dyno pulls you make in a row.
    wow you people took this the wrong way i thought we were talking about normal operating temps not hot lapping or dyno testing of course your not going to make any power when your shit is overheating from mashing ass on it repeatedly...duh. hes talking about it being hot at 210 which is normal for daily driving. why dont you get into your car on a cold day without the car warming up and stomp on the gas and then do it again when its warm and tell me if this statment is true. letting your motor heat up improves performance.
    AJ Sevey 408ci

Got Beer?

Status

No not yet, I've been busy at my print shop and trying to promote more business there. In my free time I've been working on my suspension mods. I'll try though. I know people are interested.
    Ah no big deal, thanks.
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

Got Beer?

Status

wow you people took this the wrong way i thought we were talking about normal operating temps not hot lapping or dyno testing of course your not going to make any power when your shit is overheating from mashing ass on it repeatedly...duh. hes talking about it being hot at 210 which is normal for daily driving. why dont you get into your car on a cold day without the car warming up and stomp on the gas and then do it again when its warm and tell me if this statment is true. letting your motor heat up improves performance.
    Ah, I don't think so. I wish I could leave it at the track ready to go and rip off a run right after I start it up. I am sure it would run a lot faster.
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

gen III traitor

Status

Mark VIII and a 180 t-stat kept me at 190-195 for 3 hop laps on a high 80's evening. I think my fan pulls about 3500 or slightly higher so you shouldnt be having any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Status

I dont think thats how he meant it at all. But everyone reads things and takes them differently some times.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    Mark VIII and a 180 t-stat kept me at 190-195 for 3 hop laps on a high 80's evening. I think my fan pulls about 3500 or slightly higher so you shouldnt be having any issues.
    I thought some of those fans were rated closer to 4000cfm depending on the year. My grandfather had a mark VIII, I loved that car.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by rhurley View Post
    Wait you live in denver?
    Yep...
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

Status

Yep...
    O no shit. Where abouts? You ever go to any car car shows or anything? cant say ive ever seen your truck around

Ryan-
    1991 GMC on 38s-sold

Status

I think you are the only other one from denver on here?......

Ryan-
    1991 GMC on 38s-sold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast