+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 99 dakota rt '03 front brake swap

Status

Default 99 dakota rt '03 front brake swap

ive seen threads about swapping out the crappy 99 spindle/brake set up. i wanted to see if i could get a thread going that is a little more specific. i understand you can only use a 2wd model's set up. for 2003, for the durango at least, they had the 4.7 and the 5.9. will the steering knuckles from either model work? from what ive read i need the following from the durango/dakota.... knuckles,rotors, hubs( read the 99's may work),, calipers tie rods and brake lines. i just wanted to clear this up because there are very few 2wd 2003's up here in southern Massachusetts and may have to resort to ordering parts. thanks for any help guys!

Status

I didn't get any replys to my post either.
    So. As far as the spindle being dif for 4.7 or 5.9, I believe they would be the same, I was at a JY yesterday and there was 3 vehicles with the all the right parts, a 04 dakota and 2 03 durangos. It looked to me the easiest way was to just knock both ball joints loose and get the whole assembly. I'm gonna try to go back this week and get parts for mine, keep us/me updated if you get yours done.
    Thanks
    G-Man

Status
    Blog Entries

I will be doing this swap soon have all the main parts going to order new calipers , hoses and send spindles and brakets for powder coating this week

I will let you know about tie rods.

And so far 99 hub fits spindle but side by side it's not a thick as the 03 hub so I won't chance it just get 03 hubs

00 FR RC Dakota R/T Turbo 11.56@118

99 Amethyst RC Dakota R/T 1-170 13.84@98

P.I.E. tuned cause Flynn is for the Birds if you wanna Run Fast have some PIE !

Just call me George W

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RTchas View Post

I will be doing this swap soon have all the main parts going to order new calipers , hoses and send spindles and brakets for powder coating this week

I will let you know about tie rods.

And so far 99 hub fits spindle but side by side it's not a thick as the 03 hub so I won't chance it just get 03 hubs
    So no upper or lower control arm or balljoint changes needed? Tie rod ends? I know your not don't yet just curious what you have discovered so far - thanks!

Josh - 98 BLK RC - Mad Milkshake Maker
    Previous
    99 BLK RC - Mad Trash Hauler - sold
    99 DA RC - mad dak - Danno Stole it
    01 SLVR RC - mad sexy - retired - then died
    99 IB RC - mad RT - gone to heaven..

Former Certified member of the 11 Second NA RT Club

Status

Quote Originally Posted by madboy View Post
    So no upper or lower control arm or balljoint changes needed? Tie rod ends? I know your not don't yet just curious what you have discovered so far - thanks!
    Upper and lower control arms and ball joints appear to be the same, I'm still not sure about tie rod ends.
    And I'm wondering if 15" stock rims will clear ? I'm thinking not. The reason I ask is my light(er)weight front rims are 15"
    G-Man

Blown and Squirted

Status

I believe there is some steering stop difference.... Joe (sick660) discovered it after he had some wheels made.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

"Bleach Master"

Status

15" bogarts will clear in the front with a 1/4" spacer, 03 durango brake rotor and calipers/bracket are different than 03 dakota. they are same outside daimeter rotor but have more rotor face surface inward towards the hub. The tie rods I don't know either because I have heim joints and a flaming river manual rack. The steering stops line up on 2000 but not on 99 like Chris said.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

"Bleach Master"

Status

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    ............... 03 durango brake rotor and calipers/bracket are different than 03 dakota. they are same outside daimeter rotor but have more rotor face surface inward towards the hub.
    This is true....I took my knuckles off an 03 Durango and they had the TRW brake package which looked a little heavier. The Dakota uses the Bosch brake package from the factory.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    This is true....I took my knuckles off an 03 Durango and they had the TRW brake package which looked a little heavier. The Dakota uses the Bosch brake package from the factory.
    Yeah the durango pakage is a heavier duty version, that is also why I went with the durango set-up over the dakota. I will be slowing down from 150-160mph and need all the brakes I can get.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Yeah the durango pakage is a heavier duty version, that is also why I went with the durango set-up over the dakota. I will be slowing down from 150-160mph and need all the brakes I can get.

So I take it you're happy with the set up???
    I put some serious thought into going that route myself....
    ....but there was enough headaches as it was swaping everthing else.
    I could always do it later I suppose....
    I'm sure of one thing, that doing the upgrade saved me from being in at least one accident. What I have ain't bad. When you start going faster you need to stop faster.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 08-13-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    So I take it you're happy with the set up???
    I put some serious thought into going that route myself....
    ....but there was enough headaches as it was swaping everthing else.
    I could always do it later I suppose....
    I'm sure of one thing, that doing the upgrade saved me from being in at least one accident. What I have ain't bad. When you start going faster you need to stop faster.
    Haven't run it yet, I had stock brakes and ssbc rotors, they weren't cutting it. I want willwoods but to much $$$$ right now, the 03 durango was the best upgrade to money ratio option.

Status

Tie Rods:
    I just opened up several tabs and went to summit's site to compare tie rod ends from year to year. It looks like if going from a 99 to the 2003 brakes it uses a different tie rod end. The 2001 uses the same tie rod end as both the 03 Durango and 03 Dakota.

Calipers:
    I did not know about the Durango having bigger front brakes but after looking at summit and comparing part, the 2003 Dakota uses a caliper with pistons that are 2.007" and the 2003 Durango uses a caliper with pistons that are 2.126".

Rotors: (I compared the EBC 3GD rotors on all models to stay consistent)
    99 Dakota 11.3" diameter and .944" thick.
    01 Dakota Same as above specs.
    03 Dakota 12.12" diameter and 1.023" thick
    03 Durango 12.12" Diameter and 1.102" thick

Status

That's a lot of good info.
    So I guess I'm gonna go for the 03 Durango parts, I need to go back and take a closer look, I was leaning towards getting the 04 Dakota parts, but now? I may get the durango ones
    Thanks Guys
    The G-Man

Status
    Blog Entries

Looks Good Chad, who's brake hose's did you use and are those reman calipers or new and where did you source them?

I went to Advanced and calipers run from $46-75(with a core$) depending on what you get new/reman also OEM hoses are cheaper on Rockauto if you go with OEM rubber hose.

I had earls hose's before with the viper's and liked the feel of the pedal on hard braking.

00 FR RC Dakota R/T Turbo 11.56@118

99 Amethyst RC Dakota R/T 1-170 13.84@98

P.I.E. tuned cause Flynn is for the Birds if you wanna Run Fast have some PIE !

Just call me George W

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RTchas View Post
    Looks Good Chad, who's brake hose's did you use and are those reman calipers or new and where did you source them?

I went to Advanced and calipers run from $46-75(with a core$) depending on what you get new/reman also OEM hoses are cheaper on Rockauto if you go with OEM rubber hose.

I had earls hose's before with the viper's and liked the feel of the pedal on hard braking.
    Those are just some braided brake lines I bought from my local speed shop, used a standard banjo fitting with the stock caliper bolt. Had to order metric to standard fittings to adapt them to the stock brake line. think they were m6x1.25 but not sure. The spindles and caliper brackets I got from the junkyard here in town, go-pull-it-jax is the yard. the calipers are remans from autozone that I painted. I didn't want to run wheel spacers on the front so I millede .250" from the face of the caliper bracket to clear the bogarts, also had to remove one tab of the two tabs holding the brake shims on.

"Bleach Master"

Status

2003 Dodge Durango front brakes

2003 Dodge Dakota front brakes

this is my post from racemagnum I made showing the difference, might want to sticky this

Status

Those are just some braided brake lines I bought from my local speed shop, used a standard banjo fitting with the stock caliper bolt. Had to order metric to standard fittings to adapt them to the stock brake line. think they were m6x1.25 but not sure. The spindles and caliper brackets I got from the junkyard here in town, go-pull-it-jax is the yard. the calipers are remans from autozone that I painted. I didn't want to run wheel spacers on the front so I millede .250" from the face of the caliper bracket to clear the bogarts, also had to remove one tab of the two tabs holding the brake shims on.
    Milling was only because of the bogarts correct? Stock wheels should work I am thinking without any milling, at least I hope!

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by stevenz1inoc View Post
    Milling was only because of the bogarts correct? Stock wheels should work I am thinking without any milling, at least I hope!
    Yes, only for the bogarts, r/t wheels cleared.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Haven't run it yet, I had stock brakes and ssbc rotors, they weren't cutting it. I want willwoods but to much $$$$ right now, the 03 durango was the best upgrade to money ratio option.
    Clearly understood......thats why I did the same thing in Bosch instead.
    The reason i didn't go (TRW) 03 Durango brakes was cause the donor vehicle was missing most all of the brake parts. Always wondered how much of a difference there was.

Red trucks are faster

Status

2003 Dodge Durango front brakes

2003 Dodge Dakota front brakes

this is my post from racemagnum I made showing the difference, might want to sticky this
    Nice documentation dude......I have one of those caliper brackets for an 03 Durango if you or anyone else needs one. The brackets alone are clearly more stout.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Did someone say something about brake lines???

Looky here: http://www.circletracksupply.com/kev...hose-kits.html

Why not get all three and be done with it??

Bringing back this old thread. I'm starting to collect the parts to upgrade my 2001 to the post 2003 front brake package. I found a refurbish set of Durango calipers and brackets for a pretty good price. Next will be the knuckles/spindles. If I get the knuckles powder coated, can I press the spindles out before I take them to the powder coater?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Bringing back this old thread. I'm starting to collect the parts to upgrade my 2001 to the post 2003 front brake package. I found a refurbish set of Durango calipers and brackets for a pretty good price. Next will be the knuckles/spindles. If I get the knuckles powder coated, can I press the spindles out before I take them to the powder coater?
    What is your thinking for removing the spindles prior to powder coat?

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Supporting Vendor

Status

If I get the knuckles powder coated, can I press the spindles out before I take them to the powder coater?
    The powder coater should have special high heat tape that they cover areas not to be coated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast