+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve Grinder

Supporting Vendor

Status

Default Valve Grinder

Picked up a couple of ragged-out Kwik-Way Valve grinders for a couple hundred dollars each. One has an Accu-Chuck using ER32 collets.

I made a couple of top plates to better distribute the weight atop a couple of roller tool chest bottoms.

So far, I’ve rebuilt one of them: new wiring, gibbs, bushing, etc. However, the original chuck was producing erratic results. One time I’d have run-out of .001, and other times as much as .005, which is not acceptable. If I checked run-out with a dial indicator while in the chuck, before cutting, and fiddled with it until true, the face cuts true. So, I have to pull that chuck apart and see what can be done about it. In the meantime, I installed the Accu-Chuck. It cuts within .0005 every time without fiddling with it. I’ll either modify the dust cover that came with the machine or fab one myself at some other time.

I also made a splash shield to keep oil and debris off the floor and walls.

Accu-Chuck

ER32 collet for an 11/32 valve stem.

Checking Valve Run-Out

Cut the margins out of a worn-out intake and exhaust valve. These valves will sit as low on the seat as possible in order to protect the valve seats while grinding in the combustion chamber.

Easier to do rough grinding without damaging the seats with the margin cut out of each valve.

It can also be used to back-cut the valves for increased low and mid-range flow. This may or may not reduce the flow at high lift. Only testing on the flow bench will tell.

30-degree back-cut.

Accumulating parts...

Status

What's the standard for run-out tolerance on valves?
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Supporting Vendor

Status

What's the standard for run-out tolerance on valves?
    .001 is considered acceptable. The Accu-Chuck is spec'd out at .0004.

+ Reply to Thread