+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Part out or repair..

Status

Default Part out or repair..

Just picked this truck up.. Trying to decide if I should fix it or just part it out.. Frame is damaged.. No airbag deployment.. Would require another frame, fender, bumper, suspension and repaint.. Wondering what other peoples thoughts are..

black rt.jpgbalckrt.jpg

Supporting Vendor

Status

Try to repair it if you can. I hate to see another R/T bite the dust.

Where is the frame damaged?

Status

It mainly pushed the frame in where the A-arms attach. Upper A-arm put a hole in the oil filter.. You can see the the frame has shifted as the bed and cab are offset about 1".. I replaced oil filter and started it up runs great. Has 104k on it..

Status

Try and save it man.....I just resurrected mine after a similar incident where insurance totalled it out. Can probably find a frame pretty easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Neon SRT4 - Stage 3
    2000 Dakota R/T - Daily Driver

Status

Any one know where they stamp the VIN# on the frame..

Status

Dam, other then that the truck looks pretty solid

Status

Thought about buying a used frame and switching it.. But then I would have to take it to state patrol and have it inspected. Then they'll assign it a modified VIN#. Don't really want to deal with that. Will take it up and see what it would cost to have it straightened.. Was also thinking about maybe building a new custom frame for it.. I have tubing benders and a 4x8 plasma table in the shop so building a frame wouldn't be to difficult for me..

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lostrt View Post
    Any one know where they stamp the VIN# on the frame..
    Not sure if there's one on the frame.....I found this on dodgeforum.com from user 00DakDan

"I don't know of a VIN code stamped on the frame.

Besides the VIN at the base of the windshield, you should have:

1. A metal body code plate is attached to the floor pan under the passenger seat. Remove the passenger seat, door sill scuff plate and pull back the carpet to access the body code plate.

2. The Equipment Identification Plate is located at the left, front of the inner hood panel.

Hope it helps."
    2004 Neon SRT4 - Stage 3

Status

Thought about buying a used frame and switching it.. But then I would have to take it to state patrol and have it inspected. Then they'll assign it a modified VIN#. Don't really want to deal with that. Will take it up and see what it would cost to have it straightened.. Was also thinking about maybe building a new custom frame for it.. I have tubing benders and a 4x8 plasma table in the shop so building a frame wouldn't be to difficult for me..
    Is WA state really that strict regarding rebuilds, has to be inspected by state patrol? Is there no authorized shops that can inspect and sign of on the rebuilt status? That's how it was up in BC when I just rebuilt mine.
    2004 Neon SRT4 - Stage 3

Most newer vehicles do have a secondary or partial VIN hidden on the frame. With that said, what does the title say? I wouldn't think you would have to have it inspected unless there's some specific law in the WA Vehicle Code that says otherwise.

Status

I don't know if there are body shops to sign things off haven't heard of that here.. I know about 30yrs ago we switched frames on 76 power wagon.. The state removed the vin tags and installed a modified VIN sticker and paper work for new title.. I feel that would ruin the aspect of it being an R/T..

Status

I don't know if there are body shops to sign things off haven't heard of that here.. I know about 30yrs ago we switched frames on 76 power wagon.. The state removed the vin tags and installed a modified VIN sticker and paper work for new title.. I feel that would ruin the aspect of it being an R/T..
    Yeah I just checked WA State reg's and it's def the State Patrol that needs to do the final salvage inspection. Seems pretty strict too.....you have to keep all receipts including parts bought from a private party to show them. (https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/up...ge_vehicle.pdf)

It was way easier in BC. Fixed it myself, took it to a private shop that's accredited to do rebuilds for a vehicle and structural inspection, then just took the paperwork to an insurance agent to process to title change.

Does the title say salvage?
    2004 Neon SRT4 - Stage 3

Status

Yeah it's a idaho title states rebuilt salvage on it.. Haven't tried transferring it yet.. Found all the frame specs online from dodge. I think I'll draw up a plan and see about building a custom frame for it..

Status

Called 2 auto collision shops.. Neither of them will fix the frame unless I go through insurance..

Status

You might have to go off the beaten path a bit for this, if that's what you've got so far.....I ran into a similar deal getting mine rebuilt status.

In BC the province has a published list of all repair shops and what they are certified for, not everyone can endorse a rebuilt vehicle. I called every single approved shop in my City AND the city next door. Every single one said they don't do that, or don't anymore.

Had to go see a guy 2 towns over the other way. Turns out the guy that passed my srt4 without a cat is able to do rebuilds too. But his place is a small hole in the way type operation with no company name on the door, so I never knew to look for him when I was checking out the provincial list....
    2004 Neon SRT4 - Stage 3

+ Reply to Thread