+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fuel leak.. and Im at work. Need a solution to get home.

Default fuel leak.. and Im at work. Need a solution to get home.

So mice must have gotten into the engine bay and chewed a coupe things. My daily died yesterday and I havent been driving the dakota because there are some tings I want to install this winter. (Spintech headers, NOS dash, rebuild the rear end etc). They chewed through the fuel injector wires on cylinder four but left me enough to patch the wire temporarily so that I could get to work.

I noticed a faint smell a fuel on my way in so I popped the hood. Its coming from the roughly 12" line that connects the two fuel rails on each side at the top back of the intake which feeds the injectors its a slow leak but obviously having fuel drip from the top down onto the motor is not ideal. The hose appears to be rubber or at least rubber coated.

Can I pull the hose in autozone and replace it in the parking lot with a section of bulk line and crimp it, or is there special tooling required? Pressurized? It looks like there are plastic fittings that the hose slides into but I cant imagine it relies upon a slip in fit.

Any help would be super appreciated, Im too fat to walk 20 miles to work every day hahaha.

Thanks!

I don't much on how the factory line is installed (I assume some type of crimp), but it is pressurized by the fuel pump and feeds the injectors. It should be about 45 psi, plus or minus a few lbs.

Thanks Mike, so is there a way to bleed pressure or is it only pressurized while running? Im thinking it would be best to replace the fuel rails as an assembly and assume the line would come included already crimped?

I think it was 3/8 fuel injection hose, rated much higher pressure than request bulk fuel hose. Oriellys has it. And the clamps should be fuel njection clamps , not the cheap worm gear clamps.don’t know if your year has the test port to bleed pressure down. Should have lost the pressure if it’s leaking though.

Thanks Red. I does have the bleeder. I was able to perform a "bush fix" to get me home. Went down to maintenance and found some hose clamps and some rubber sheet. I folded the rubber around the leaking portion and slammed three hose clamps on. It kept it from leaking long enough to get it home. This winter I have spintech headers/Y-pipe/and a bunch of tubing to fab up a better exhaust and a NOS dash I found so I will likely just go with the Hi-Potek rails and crossover tube etc.

Appreciate the help boys!

+ Reply to Thread