+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stock bottom end limits (5.9)

Default Stock bottom end limits (5.9)

With the stock pistons and rods, what's reasonable horsepower/RPM range (hp at the wheels)? 330hp/5700rpm?

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    With the stock pistons and rods, what's reasonable horsepower/RPM range (hp at the wheels)? 330hp/5700rpm?
    On a stock bottom end, a guy on here turboed his Dakota to go low elevens and a couple of high 10's. His heads were cut 40 thousandths and done by "Champion Head Service".
    I spoke with the mechanic who built this car whose shop is in Norwich Conn. and said he had the car for 3 yrs and to his knowledge, it never "blew up".
    Now if I could just remember the guys name...Dana somebody or other. At any rate, his truck needed to produce at least 430 rwhp to attain these times
    He's on here someplace.
    Last edited by arro222; 09-11-2022 at 06:27 AM.

Accumulating parts...

Status

No HP dyno's on my truck, but it was running on boost for a good bit and running from 12.1X-12.7X depending on DA and other mods. Stock heads/cam and bottom end. I pushed the valve train too hard and bent a push rod. Shifting 6200 and hitting the limiter of 6500 at the 1000'. Should have done a gear or tire change but was trying to break 11's. Now it's getting heads/cam and other goodies on top of the stock bottom end.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

So it sounds like, if I go 325-335hp (to the wheels) and maybe a 75 shot of Nitrous (with a nitrous tune) and keep the rev limiter at 5700 rpms I should be fine.

So it sounds like, if I go 325-335hp (to the wheels) and maybe a 75 shot of Nitrous (with a nitrous tune) and keep the rev limiter at 5700 rpms I should be fine.
    That range you mention can be accomplished na but it isn't guaranteed w just top end stuff bolt ons or "ins" (cam). You would need a bit north of 400 engine hp to attain the wheel hp with an automatic. Most of us are are lucky to surpass 300 rwhp.
    But to answer your question...yes, should be ok.
    I recall that guy Flying Ryan who posted here once in awhile going right to a 150 shot with no problem even with those trucks that were 315-325 rwhp.

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    That range you mention can be accomplished na but it isn't guaranteed w just top end stuff bolt ons or "ins" (cam). You would need a bit north of 400 engine hp to attain the wheel hp with an automatic. Most of us are are lucky to surpass 300 rwhp.
    But to answer your question...yes, should be ok.
    I recall that guy Flying Ryan who posted here once in awhile going right to a 150 shot with no problem even with those trucks that were 315-325 rwhp.
    I'm at 278 rwhp now with shorty headers, duels, 52TB, M1, Eddys, 208 @ .050 / .523 cam. Thinking about porting the Eddys, 224 cam and adding PPH mids. Maybe that's only going to get me to 315 rwhp.

Status

I'm just seeing this post. Dan Bennett (Danno) was a leader in trying new to 1998-2004 ways to make more HP in these trucks. His 98 Club cab STOCK bottom end, massively ported 2.02 heads, big cam and 150 shot ran 11.90's. I don't remember for sure what he pulled on the dyno. Somewhere over 500 horse. The only thing he ever had trouble with was blowing head gaskets. After better tuning came along, he could see it was going lean on the top end. He figured he needed to upgrade the stock fuel pump.

I'm at 278 rwhp now with shorty headers, duels, 52TB, M1, Eddys, 208 @ .050 / .523 cam. Thinking about porting the Eddys, 224 cam and adding PPH mids. Maybe that's only going to get me to 315 rwhp.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    I'm just seeing this post. Dan Bennett (Danno) was a leader in trying new to 1998-2004 ways to make more HP in these trucks. His 98 Club cab STOCK bottom end, massively ported 2.02 heads, big cam and 150 shot ran 11.90's. I don't remember for sure what he pulled on the dyno. Somewhere over 500 horse. The only thing he ever had trouble with was blowing head gaskets. After better tuning came along, he could see it was going lean on the top end. He figured he needed to upgrade the stock fuel pump.
    He also had a 3600 rpm converter and 4.56's. One can still expect at least low 12's with 3.92's and 2800 stall speed conv.

Status

I know Ryan Vowell out in Hawaii split his block in half. I think it was a stock bottom end, but don't quote me. He was pushing the limits of the Paxton and FAST setup on a mild motor, I remember that.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

+ Reply to Thread