+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No spark from coil

Status

Default No spark from coil

I’ve asked about this before but figured out a few more things since.

Replaced my engine a while back with a better used one. Everything went good and I drove it a few times but was still waiting on new ECM so it wasnt much. Had second job part time at oreillys and took advantage of discount. Bought EVERY sensor and whatever else I could. All ignition parts have been replaced. Then one day it quit firing. No spark. Even with new ECM. Getting power TO but not from the coil. New coil. It checks fine and so does old one I took off. Neither send spark to distributor. Been trying for a year now to get someone to come help but they’re always too busy apparently 🤷🏼

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post
    I’ve asked about this before but figured out a few more things since.

Replaced my engine a while back with a better used one. Everything went good and I drove it a few times but was still waiting on new ECM so it wasnt much. Had second job part time at oreillys and took advantage of discount. Bought EVERY sensor and whatever else I could. All ignition parts have been replaced. Then one day it quit firing. No spark. Even with new ECM. Getting power TO but not from the coil. New coil. It checks fine and so does old one I took off. Neither send spark to distributor. Been trying for a year now to get someone to come help but they’re always too busy apparently ����

any ideas?
    What year is your truck?

Status

My bad, I got ahead of myself lol. 2000 R/T WITH 272k miles

I think security started in 2000. Do you a black key or grey key? If you got a security PCM, I've heard it will start and run for a while and then shut off. You read about it here if you search "security".

Status
    Blog Entries

I just went through same issue, left me stranded 3 times [2 tow truck rides] what I found, I was amazed. new dist. cap had about 500 miles on it, it had aluminum terminals, the alum coil wire tower term was seriously corroded. [had MSD plug wires] I replaced the -coil wire- with solid copper wire-non resistor.
    Replace your dist. cap [Rock Auto] was $12. brass terminal cap, [copper core plug wire to coil] non resistor. 2,000 miles later still going.
    Note- i also sealed cap vent to eliminate moisture from getting in cap [I live in humid climate]. In case this is your issue?

Status

So... the problem was a part that I shoulda thought of way before. I swapped in my original ECM and it fired right up. Voltage regulator in it is out which is why’s I got a new plug n play one. Was then thinkin that my new ECM was trash. Then I think one step farther and make myself realize that I intentionally left stage II chip on new ECM. No longer on truck. Plug it back into original computer which is still in the truck, no spark. Remove it, fires up. Install new ECM with no chip, fires up... ����*♂️ Installed the chip 11 years ago and just so used to seeing it there that I forgotten it was aftermarket and not required lmao.

Running now but won’t shift outta first gear. Thinkin solenoids ��

So... the problem was a part that I shoulda thought of way before. I swapped in my original ECM and it fired right up. Voltage regulator in it is out which is why’s I got a new plug n play one. Was then thinkin that my new ECM was trash. Then I think one step farther and make myself realize that I intentionally left stage II chip on new ECM. No longer on truck. Plug it back into original computer which is still in the truck, no spark. Remove it, fires up. Install new ECM with no chip, fires up... ����*♂️ Installed the chip 11 years ago and just so used to seeing it there that I forgotten it was aftermarket and not required lmao.

Running now but won’t shift outta first gear. Thinkin solenoids ��
    Will it shift manually?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Will it shift manually?
    2nd gear is gone. All others work fine. When I take off from a stop, 1st revs way high. It’ll sometimes slip into 2nd and then right into 3rd but usually goes straight from 1st to 3rd. When I shift manually, 2nd is basically a second neutral. ���� I guess it’s time to get one from junk yard like my engine and sit this one aside with the original engine to be built soon.

2nd gear is gone. All others work fine. When I take off from a stop, 1st revs way high. It’ll sometimes slip into 2nd and then right into 3rd but usually goes straight from 1st to 3rd. When I shift manually, 2nd is basically a second neutral. ���� I guess it’s time to get one from junk yard like my engine and sit this one aside with the original engine to be built soon.
    Have you tighten the second gear band?

Second gear band struts has been known to fall out and drop into trans pan when the adjustment is waaay
    Loose .mine did it 10 years ago .put I back in, adjust bands ,went another 40k on that transmission .
    Torqflite 727 used to do it when neglected, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Red barchetta View Post
    Second gear band struts has been known to fall out and drop into trans pan when the adjustment is waaay
    Loose .mine did it 10 years ago .put I back in, adjust bands ,went another 40k on that transmission .
    Torqflite 727 used to do it when neglected, also.
    Yes and you can also buy a drop in band and put a new band in it. I would drop the trans pan and look, if the strut is still there adjust it. After adjustment, if there is less than 2 threads showing on the band adjustment screw, order a drop on band. Search youtube, there are videos on how to adjust the bands. But seeing you have no second gear, it sounds like the strut fell off, which means you need to drop the pan to reinstall it.
    Last edited by musky mike; 09-11-2022 at 07:10 PM.

Status

I’m off work this next week and plan to take the pan off to see what I can see. Thank y’all for the advice, I’ll definitely check that

+ Reply to Thread