+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PPH mid length header

Default PPH mid length header

I have a set of PPH mid-length headers that I want to wrap to keep under hood heat down. I know some mild steel headers will crack at short bend from over heat stress when you wrap them. Has anyone wrapped PPH mid-length headers and they didn't crack from heat stress?
    Last edited by musky mike; 08-04-2022 at 11:14 PM.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I realize it would be somewhat costly but, I would have them ceramic coated.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    I realize it would be somewhat costly but, I would have them ceramic coated.
    I will have them ceramic coated, but doesn't reduce heat anywhere near as much as wrap. Engine Master did a test on it.

Accumulating parts...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    I will have them ceramic coated, but doesn't reduce heat anywhere near as much as wrap. Engine Master did a test on it.
    Just had my PPH's welded (multiple cracks) and ceramic coated. $350 w/ Y-pipe for coating.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

I cannot tell you how many times this subject has come up from this old racer stand point.
    The general consensus from experience holds that wraps indeed hold heat but at the expense of the headers themselves. They get so hot w wraps that their welds and joints break part from the intense heat that cannot escape the header.
    Headers need the air seeping into the engine bay to cool themselves off if you're interested in header longevity. Plus if you are racing and running lean, you may pick up about 2 hundredths of a second thru the traps but if you're running rich, there is no advantage whatsoever.
    Header manufacturers will not warrantee their product if wraps are applied.
    Header wrap serves only one purpose initially: to keep the heat in, thus improving flow.
    For a street machine, I'd leave it off and go with a thermal ceramic coating.
    Plus I think their awfully ugly but that is not germane to this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    I cannot tell you how many times this subject has come up from this old racer stand point.
    The general consensus from experience holds that wraps indeed hold heat but at the expense of the headers themselves. They get so hot w wraps that their welds and joints break part from the intense heat that cannot escape the header.
    Headers need the air seeping into the engine bay to cool themselves off if you're interested in header longevity. Plus if you are racing and running lean, you may pick up about 2 hundredths of a second thru the traps but if you're running rich, there is no advantage whatsoever.
    Header wrap serves only one purpose initially: to keep the heat in, thus improving flow.
    I watched Engine Masters, thermal wrap made zero HP, same engine/same headers on the dyno. I only ask because I wanted to reduce my under hood heat, not to increase power.. I've heard mild steel headers don't hold up to thermal wrap, it keeps too much heat in and over stresses the mild steel. I didn't know if PPH headers held up well to wrap or just wrap from after the short turn to the collectors because that where the tubes run so close to everything in the engine bay. I'll just play is safe and get them thermal ceramic coated and call it good.

Status

I had my headers, intake and all the tubing for a Procharger Ceramichromed back in 2000. Flight recording was not so easy and don't have real data, but seemed to cool off much quicker after coating.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Accumulating parts...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Forgot to add...
    My welder also mentioned the PPH's were a nice quality header. The only downside, is even though they have a ceramic coat already, the tubes used were really thick which causes the material to hold in heat longer and in turn will crack at the welds and in my case tubes as well. He mentioned how some aircrafts will use really thin stainless tubing to dissipate the heat much faster.
    Last edited by GoFastGray; 08-15-2022 at 06:16 PM.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

I would stay away from header wrap. From what I have read it tends to hold moisture, which tends to rust the pipes. I had my new in 2001 pph headers jet hot coated before installation. They still show no signs of rust. I have even used a Dremmel w/scotch brite type rotary buffing head to clean/polish them some. I am ready surprised they haven't rusted out by now.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

+ Reply to Thread