+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M1 verses Hughes (Edelbrock Performer RPM)

Default M1 verses Hughes (Edelbrock Performer RPM)

Is there any dyno tests that show the power curve difference between an M1 and Hughes intake other than what's on Hughes' website?

Status
    Blog Entries

A lot of variables to this subject, engine and cam size, usage. our engines [RT] are direct port injected.

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    A lot of variables to this subject, engine and cam size, usage. our engines [RT] are direct port injected.
    How about anyone who has ran Hughes (Performer RPM) on the dyno (5.9 R/T), can you post your setup and numbers.

*You do know Hughes sells a stock replacement Performer RPM, port injection for 5.9 Magnum.

Status
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

That's my kegger lol

Status

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d.../3863266/12456

They don't include a single plane in the episode, but they do debunk Marty's bullshit modded keeger and have a couple carbed dual planes which is basically what the Hughes is (plus some drilling for injectors).

For $900 bucks you get 3.5 HP and 9 TQ. Add the $500 throttle body and you get another 7 HP and torque peaks stay the same. They also tested the carbed version of the Performer RPM and a carbed dual plane M1:

That last one there is the carbed Performer RPM versus the best of the modded kegger (with bigger TB). Expect a little less power in EFI form, but probably not an entirely dissimilar curve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Vendor

Status

That's my kegger lol
    If my tunnel ram intake wasn't tied up at the time, I would have sent that to him to test with the rest.

When I get a chance, I'll throw it on my flow bench and see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
    Flow is good, but the dyno tells the story. I still haven't seen any dyno test (except Hughes website).

Supporting Vendor

Status

couple carbed dual planes which is basically what the Hughes is (plus some drilling for injectors).
    Yep. That intake design has been around for years. It has produced some higher hp numbers than the flow numbers alone indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d.../3863266/12456

They don't include a single plane in the episode, but they do debunk Marty's bullshit modded keeger and have a couple carbed dual planes which is basically what the Hughes is (plus some drilling for injectors).

For $900 bucks you get 3.5 HP and 9 TQ. Add the $500 throttle body and you get another 7 HP and torque peaks stay the same. They also tested the carbed version of the Performer RPM and a carbed dual plane M1:

That last one there is the carbed Performer RPM versus the best of the modded kegger (with bigger TB). Expect a little less power in EFI form, but probably not an entirely dissimilar curve.
    Ported stock intake did make a little more power, but not worth the money in my opinion. The Performer RPM did make good gains with a carb and you would think with the right size TB, it would make similar gains fuel injected, but with better throttle response, idle and drivability. Engine Masters have some pretty good test, I have Motor Trend App.

Status

Pure CFM flow, the M1 2BBL is out in front by ~15CFM, but if the heads don't flow that much then it's useless.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Ported stock intake did make a little more power, but not worth the money in my opinion. The Performer RPM did make good gains with a carb and you would think with the right size TB, it would make similar gains fuel injected, but with better throttle response, idle and drivability. Engine Masters have some pretty good test, I have Motor Trend App.
    10.5 HP and 10.7TQ isn't worth $1,400 for Marty's snake oil. The Hughes/Edelbrock intake blows his out of the water by a wide margin.

The carb is going to benefit (on the dyno at WOT anyway) from the extra time for fuel atomization as well as the cooling that takes effect versus an EFI mod to the same dual plane manifold. The M1 should see a little more top end at the expense of some low end.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    If my tunnel ram intake wasn't tied up at the time, I would have sent that to him to test with the rest.

When I get a chance, I'll throw it on my flow bench and see how it does.

I recall Flying Ryan stating some time ago that with his multiple tests on dynos, the diffeference between the Air Gap and M1 is so negligible, pick whatever is available. I'm thinking there is not much difference from the runners on the Performer vs. the Air Gap
    What Nitro states is dead on.
    Intake flow means not that much if your heads are lazy.
    Last edited by arro222; 07-13-2022 at 11:53 PM.

agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    10.5 HP and 10.7TQ isn't worth $1,400 for Marty's snake oil. The Hughes/Edelbrock intake blows his out of the water by a wide margin.

The carb is going to benefit (on the dyno at WOT anyway) from the extra time for fuel atomization as well as the cooling that takes effect versus an EFI mod to the same dual plane manifold. The M1 should see a little more top end at the expense of some low end.

Agreed.

+ Reply to Thread