+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cylinder head options

Status

Default Cylinder head options

Hey guys need some help with what to do about cylinder heads,my heads or gaskets have gone south for the summer!! Exhaust bubbling in the radiator don’t know if heads are cracked or just gaskets what’s the best option on new heads eq’s or edelbrock or something else ???I want to run all my factory components and what valve train components right now I have stock heads 1.7 non adjustable HS rockers and air gap intake

Supporting Vendor

Status

If running nonadjustable 1.7 rockers, then you are stuck with the iron head. The newer EQ heads don't flow as well as the older EQ heads. The Edelbrock RPM head is a decent head, but you have to run adjustable rockers. And the heads are still on backorder to the best of my knowledge. Chances are you just have a blown head gasket.

You can still get the EQ heads (But I agree w Rich that it is more of a gasket problem). All EQ heads are now coming with the 1.94 intake valve so a good machine shop will be your friend.
    There isn't much choice for us head wise.
    I'd love to get a set of the Trick Flow but they are not conducive to our engines as much as they say they are.

I’ve heard there are thinner head gaskets to use, for a slightly bump in compression

Supporting Vendor

Status

I’ve heard there are thinner head gaskets to use, for a slightly bump in compression
    That would be the Mr. Gasket .028 thickness.

Status

I called trick flow and they said you cannot drill them but I saw a video of so keep guys that made a jig and drilled them for a magnum but now I’ll be into rockers/shafts I saw another guy that’s called Odessa and he has them(eq’s) with 2.02 for I think $1400 calling them tomorrow and what would make the gaskets go bad only 2 1/2 yr used felpros last time 210 was the hottest it got before

Status
    Blog Entries

Hughes can drill heads for magnum intake, I was told. I think they also have the Trick Flow available. Not sure.
    i love my big gulp heads, 225 cc. intake port, flow over 300 cfm. intake. But spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    Hughes can drill heads for magnum intake, I was told. I think they also have the Trick Flow available. Not sure.
    i love my big gulp heads, 225 cc. intake port, flow over 300 cfm. intake. But spendy.
    How are these on the street Pack?
    Any low end issues?

Supporting Vendor

Status

How are these on the street Pack?
    Any low end issues?
    The Trick flow have a 190cc intake runner, compared with the 176cc intake runner of the Edelbrock rpm head. Therefore, the Edelbrock head should have better low rpm port velocity than the Trick Flow. However, in the high rpm range, the trick flow should perform better out of the box.

Edit: I misread. I thought you were referring to the comparison with the trick flow heads. Same type of difference though.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 06-28-2022 at 01:51 AM.

Status
    Blog Entries

Put a straw in your mouth to breathe through and walk around the room. Can't breathe can't function. All the new engines have much larger ports, that's where hp. is. even low-end, low end all-in cam and cam timing. That's what kills our engines, [ cyl. heads.]

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    Put a straw in your mouth to breathe through and walk around the room. Can't breathe can't function. All the new engines have much larger ports, that's where hp. is. even low-end, low end all-in cam and cam timing. That's what kills our engines, [ cyl. heads.]
    You need flow velocity to make HP throughout the rpm range. Yes cam does effect flow and so does compression but mismatching a cam to heads thinking it will make more hp because everything is "bigger" can lead to sluggish performance at street level rpms. That's why I asked to see if you experienced any of this. If you're at 10.5 to 11 cr, then I'm not guessing you're having any problems at part throttle.

Status

Ok I think I figured out what I’m doing odesssa makes a eq copy with 2.02/160 built to order $1500 for the pair delivered ,eddy’s not available till late July/August and I need new rockers with them 3k delivered if they come in !!! This could change tomorrow if I keep filling my head with ideas (info overload) or I’ll be back on the Hemi thing again

+ Reply to Thread