+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trans help

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Update:

Trans guy found a bunch of stuff wrong that none of us could have known. First, prior owner had a Powerdyne SC on it, when he took it off, he never changed the plugs. It still had the super cold plugs in it which was causing the cylinders not to fire reliably. Also, the distributor was clocked wrong, it wasn't set up right on the #1 cylinder (prior owner had put Eddy heads and a new cam in after SC was removed). The TV cable was adjusted right and it was getting full throttle, until you put the K&N filter housing on, then it stoped short of full throttle because the arm was hitting the bottom of the housing. He also found some bad settings in tune. He also changed a few things in the VB and adjusted pressure setting, he says it will bark 1-2 and 2-3 now. After he got the trans working right, he put it on the dyno for a tune, first pull was 204hp, he knew that was way too low and that's when he went looking for other things and he found the plugs, distributor and tune problems. After he fixed those, next pull was 275hp, he said it still too rich at 11.5:1. He going to adjust the fuel curve and run it again tomorrow. Guess that's what you get when you buy a used truck.
    Nice find!

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Nice.. Glad you getting all those things sorted out.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Supporting Vendor

Status

Let us know how it feels when you get it back. Unfortunately, there can be a number of problems involved.

You have a good, thorough mechanic Musky.
    My 1-2 shifts break loose for about 15 ft judging by the skid mark so there is plenty of power there for my tastes. Then the truck does the Jekle and Hyde thing and
    the 2-3 shifts bog the truck down to low 11's afr.
    It's like the truck goes on vacation on the 2-3 shift. M.Seine vb is supposed to cure that.
    Dunno if that can be tuned out as well but it's a pain in the ass to have it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You have a good, thorough mechanic Musky.
    My 1-2 shifts break loose for about 15 ft judging by the skid mark so there is plenty of power there for my tastes. Then the truck does the Jekle and Hyde thing and
    the 2-3 shifts bog the truck down to low 11's afr.
    It's like the truck goes on vacation on the 2-3 shift. M.Seine vb is supposed to cure that.
    Dunno if that can be tuned out as well but it's a pain in the ass to have it happen.
    Have Martin do TCC lockup delete. This will prevent the converter from lockup in 3rd, that's what is causing the bog.
    Last edited by musky mike; 07-13-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Status

I've been following this thread, great find(s) by your mechanic. Glad you have it all sorted out.
    White 98D SLT+ 5.9, 2.02 R/T Heads, 1:7 RR, IP CAI, MP PCM, PPH Headers, M1, MP Deep Trannie Pan, Detroit in back. T/S Lift, Lookin for more stuff to do LOL!

Going to pick the truck up tomorrow.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Picked up the truck, it runs good.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:26 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Picked up the truck, it runs good. Trans said he had it shifting in Drive 1-2 at 5500 and 2-3 at 5300 every time. Got it home it still shifts early for me in drive, but manual it shifts perfect. Not much I can do about shifting in Drive, everything has been rebuilt or changed. Guess I'm just going to drive it and if I want to rev it out, I will manual shift it.
    You can make some fine adjustments to the TV cable and should be able to get that shift in drive closer to where you like.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Supporting Vendor

Status

Picked up the truck, it runs good. Trans said he had it shifting in Drive 1-2 at 5500 and 2-3 at 5300 every time. Got it home it still shifts early for me in drive, but manual it shifts perfect. Not much I can do about shifting in Drive, everything has been rebuilt or changed. Guess I'm just going to drive it and if I want to rev it out, I will manual shift it.
    It’s been quite a while, and I can’t find my notes on it, but I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the 2-3 shift to occur at the same rpm as the 1-2 shift, with the computer controlled (46RE) transmission. A&A Transmission also did some R&D with this, and finally gave up. However you set the trans, the computer tries to learn, and reset the shifting the way it wants to shift, not the way you want it to shift. At the time, the only way around this was to shift manually, or use the “RH” transmission, that has a mechanical governor. I’m not sure if a tuner can change things now in this regard. You’d have to check with your tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    It’s been quite a while, and I can’t find my notes on it, but I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the 2-3 shift to occur at the same rpm as the 1-2 shift, with the computer controlled (46RE) transmission. A&A Transmission also did some R&D with this, and finally gave up. However you set the trans, the computer tries to learn, and reset the shifting the way it wants to shift, not the way you want it to shift. At the time, the only way around this was to shift manually, or use the “RH” transmission, that has a mechanical governor. I’m not sure if a tuner can change things now in this regard. You’d have to check with your tuner.
    Runs good.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:26 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

The biggest problem is it has reverted back to shifting 1-2 at 4300 and 2-3 at 3500 WOT in drive and adjusting the TV cable won't cure it. The TV cable has been adjusted repeatedly and it won't raise the shift points in drive.
    Yep, same thing. I even repeatedly tried different TV spring pressures in the valve body, and the PCM (electronic governor) would keep changing things, so the 2-3 shift occurred at a lower rpm.

Yep, same thing. I even repeatedly tried different TV spring pressures in the valve body, and the PCM (electronic governor) would keep changing things, so the 2-3 shift occurred at a lower rpm.
    Runs good.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:27 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Were your's 1-2 at 4300 and 2-3 at 3500? The the best I can get in drive. The trans guy had them at 1-2 at 5500 and 2-3 at 5200 for about 30 runs. Then they reverted back to the lower ones when I got home. Weird...
    It depends upon how high your tv pressure is set. I had my 1-2 shift around 6000 rpm and the 2-3 shift came in somewhere in the mid 5000 rpm range, but I can't find my notes. As the PCM learns it probably would have shifted the 2-3 at an even lower rpm. It has something to do with the electronic governor, that to the best of my knowledge, has never been adequately sorted out.

It depends upon how high your tv pressure is set. I had my 1-2 shift around 6000 rpm and the 2-3 shift came in somewhere in the mid 5000 rpm range, but I can't find my notes. As the PCM learns it probably would have shifted the 2-3 at an even lower rpm. It has something to do with the electronic governor, that to the best of my knowledge, has never been adequately sorted out.
    Thanks for the help Richard.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:27 PM.

So am I understanding correctly the Martin valve body is eventually revert back to what the computer thinks it should be? I just received the Martin valve body… should I not even install?

Quote Originally Posted by 16r/t View Post
    So am I understanding correctly the Martin valve body is eventually revert back to what the computer thinks it should be? I just received the Martin valve body… should I not even install?
    MSAINE valve body is awesome.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:28 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Thanks for the help Richard, how set you set the TV pressure?
    The older Transgo instructions are a little different than the new Transgo instructions, but they still show the tv valve location in the valve body. You can change spring tensions, install or remove shims (if you have them) to increase or decrease pressure, as well as turn the PR (pressure) screw in or out, to increase or reduce pressure. It’s trial and error. But the electronic governor is sensitive to these adjustments, and if you go too high on the pressure, you can get erratic shifting, or none at all. The engine may just wind out without upshifting, and you may think your transmission is slipping.

https://res.cloudinary.com/transgo/wbiss/rk/TFODHD2.pdf

When I rebuilt my transmission, I drilled and tapped a hole for a plug, in line with the PR screw, so I can make quick external adjustments without dropping the pan each time. I took many baths in ATF fluid adjusting the PR screw previously. Before doing this, I had to drop the pan, make an adjustment, replace the pan, and refill with fluid. Test drive, rinse, and repeat. I also had to shorten an end of the 3/16” Allen wrench, so I could fit it in between the case and PR screw.

Note: the older Transgo kits also used a resister for use with the electronic governor, probably to correct this problem, but it may not have worked very well, because the new kits apparently don't include it. You could call Transgo and ask them about it.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 07-15-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Martin has a lot more experience with these transmissions than I do. You may want to contact him and ask him about it. However, until you install the valve body, I guess you won't know for sure. Mike may want to ask him about it, since he is currently using his valve body.

Status
    Blog Entries

Has your trans guy ever solved your issue ??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2