+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trans help

Default Trans help

Trans not reading gear.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:19 PM.

Yes. Just last month on a friends car. Shifting early.
    It was a bad TPS.

Slippage is another issue that has more to do w flow.

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Yes. Just last month on a friends car. Shifting early.
    It was a bad TPS.

Slippage is another issue that has more to do w flow.
    Thanks for input, transmission guy said he checked the TPS and the signal looks good. I was wishing it was that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Thanks for input, transmission guy said he checked the TPS and the signal looks good. I was wishing it was that easy.
    Darn it.
    Well the other culprits in order of ease of fix are low fluid, maladjusted bands, debris in tranny line or filter, sensor issues (which you seem to have addressed and I say "seem" because I recall wnen I had to replace 2 governor pressure sensors until I got one that worked), worn or maladjusted tranny gears or a bad TC.

Darn it.
    Well the other culprits in order of ease of fix are low fluid, maladjusted bands, debris in tranny line or filter, sensor issues (which you seem to have addressed and I say "seem" because I recall wnen I had to replace 2 governor pressure sensors until I got one that worked), worn or maladjusted tranny gears or a bad TC.
    Changed sensor, all good.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:20 PM.

Accumulating parts...

Status

Shifting early. What gear / RPM and how much pressure was on the throttle? Does is shift fine at full throttle? How or is the truck tuned?
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Supporting Vendor

Status

Can you feel any difference adjusting the TV cable one way or the other?

I have found that the line pressure, via the TV cable adjustment, or TV spring in the valve body, can make the trans shift differently. Usually if the line pressure is too high for the computer to manage, it can shift erratically, or not at all. When my line pressure was too high, it wouldn’t shift into a higher gear, and just overrevved. At first, I thought the trans was slipping, but it was just overrevving without shifting. What confuses me is that you say it is shifting early, which can be lower line pressure.

If it was doing that before installing the Martin Saine valve body, I would remove that valve body, and reinstall the stock valve body. Then if it is still doing it, have the trans shop trouble shoot it. If the Martin Saine valve body is still in the trans when you take it to the trans shop, they will likely blame the problem on the performance valve body.

[QUOTE=98Dak408;537009]Can you feel any difference adjusting the TV cable one way or the other?

Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:21 PM.

Status

Can you post some pictures of your cable set up on the trans. There was a guy last year that was having issues and ended up had the TV and shifter cables installed wrong.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Quote Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
    Can you post some pictures of your cable set up on the trans. There was a guy last year that was having issues and ended up had the TV and shifter cables installed wrong.
    Change sensor, all good.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:21 PM.

Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:22 PM.

Please keep the ideas coming, I hope one of them will be something I haven't tried yet.

Things I haven't tried yet that I have seen a single post about it on the internet.

- PCM
    - OD/TSS solenoid /wiring harness

- Rear O2 sensors
    I recall conversation I had with Mr. Seine in regards to a check-ball within the tranny line going to the cooler. He said "get it out" as it creates more problems than it solves.
    If the flow is being restricted, this could be what he meant.

I recall conversation I had with Mr. Seine in regards to a check-ball within the tranny line going to the cooler. He said "get it out" as it creates more problems than it solves.
    If the flow is being restricted, this could be what he meant.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:22 PM.

Mine is still in there, I'll talk to the trans guy today about removing it. I would think he would see pressure problems when he puts the gauges on it.
    I believe this is the torque converter drain back valve. If you remove it, let the truck idle for about 15-20 seconds to allow the tc to fill back up.
    If your tc is not getting sufficient oil because of a debris blockage at this valve, it will act like what you are getting.

I believe this is the torque converter drain back valve. If you remove it, let the truck idle for about 15-20 seconds to allow the tc to fill back up.
    If your tc is not getting sufficient oil because of a debris blockage at this valve, it will act like what you are getting.
    Changed sensor, line was change too. All good.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:24 PM.

I killed Goose

Status

This is a good transmission troubleshooting guide. Hope you get it figured out Mike.

https://atracom.blob.core.windows.ne...out%2040%20MPH.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Status
    Blog Entries

When a trans. actually slips it's damaged, these transmissions are computer controlled, your tuner should be able to adj. the RPM's the trans shifts at when in 2nd. gear,, if you have an SCT or BG tune. What i found with mine..

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    When a trans. actually slips it's damaged, these transmissions are computer controlled, your tuner should be able to adj. the RPM's the trans shifts at when in 2nd. gear,, if you have an SCT or BG tune. What i found with mine..
    All good now.

Status

Didn't you get one of Martin's valve bodies? Have you talked to him about the issue?

Having my own weird shifting issues. Always wants to idle high and not down shift. Been doing this since I got the truck. Different throttle bodies, sensors, TV cable. Want to idle around 12 to 1400 rpm. So if I'm going down the road it will want to keep going 35 to 40 mph when I let the foot off the gas. Goosing the throttle will sometime bring it down. When I stop at a light it will idle down to 700rpm. Almost think this is in the tune. Drivable, but annoying.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

Quote Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
    Didn't you get one of Martin's valve bodies? Have you talked to him about the issue?

Having my own weird shifting issues. Always wants to idle high and not down shift. Been doing this since I got the truck. Different throttle bodies, sensors, TV cable. Want to idle around 12 to 1400 rpm. So if I'm going down the road it will want to keep going 35 to 40 mph when I let the foot off the gas. Goosing the throttle will sometime bring it down. When I stop at a light it will idle down to 700rpm. Almost think this is in the tune. Drivable, but annoying.
    I did get a MSaine VB, it didn't change anything. Firmed up the shifts some, that's it. Exchanged emails with Martin, adjusted the TV cable and screw on VB for pressure. All good.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Sounds like you need to adjust your IAC counts.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Done that a few times, seems like it takes a little bit of fine tuning even after following the procedure.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Done that a few times, seems like it takes a little bit of fine tuning even after following the procedure.
    Yes, easier said than done. I had all those erratic idles, hanging idle, etc. I kept at it until I finally got it. Every time I changed throttle bodies I had to go through it again. I had the easiest time with the dual throttle body tunnel ram set up. With two throttle bodies passing air between the bore and blades at idle, the IAC motor didn't have to swing so far open or closed while trying to control the idle.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Done it several times.. guess I'll try again.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

Update:

Changed sensor and trans line, all good.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-06-2024 at 03:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast