+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 4000-mile R/T with some electrical issues

Status

PM Sent.

Miatas are teh E4!L, but the answer to everything!! Everybody knows that.:-D
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Replied!

Lol, he bought it about 3 years ago with intentions of putting an LS in it. However, his daily was a Subaru so he wound up dailying the Miata for a while until he eventually traded the Forester in on a Lexus IS. Now he hardly drives the Miata anymore because the Lexus is a million times quieter, better riding, etc. so the Miata needs a new home. But first I've got to pull the Corbeaus, harness bar, and roll bar out so I can put carpet and normal seat belts back in it so a sane person might actually want it.

Status

The 95 Z28 vert with a LT4 we got for my bride's 'mid-life crisis' had corbeaus in them, and you felt like you were hunched over the steering wheel in them. VERY uncomfy. We swapped them out for a set of factory seats a guy had modded with slots in the backs for shoulder harnesses. Fun car, although it felt very heavy (pretty tall 1st gear). Much better ride after that. She was looking at a Miata, too, but when this thing popped up, we snagged it.

I've seen some nice LS swaps on Miatas, but would probably do a blower or turbo, or K-swap and turbo, even though they don't fit well.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

I don't mind these, but they're at little snug at 250; if I dropped back down to 200 they'd probably fit a lot better

An aluminum block LS/T56 combo only adds about 200 pounds and with a T56 actually improves weight distribution slightly with the heavier trans being farther back. We're only about 15 minutes from the Tail of the Dragon so the linear power delivery and extra TQ of the NA LS would work better for this particular application while also not having to worth about heat soak. An LS7 would be perfect. But alas, it is getting a new home instead.

Status

Heh, the Z did, too. Went to friend who was having her mid-life crisis and needed a convertible, too! So win-win on our part.

The Dakota is also my bride's, but currently her 'garage queen' that sits in the shop beside my 95 Impala SS.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

I've got a few that don't get out much anymore, too. Hard to turn down the 48MPG and good A/C in the Honda at the moment

Status

Nothing wrong with 'the appliance' car. Looking for something like that now, since I'm approaching retirement age. Want the monster car, but also want an appliance so parts are easy to find 10 years down the road, since I have an affliction with the whole 'selling' thing. Currently looking for a Charger Pursuit car with the v8 AWD to replace our '12 Caprice which is getting to the point where there are literally no parts available, either here, or in AUS. If I can get a Nice low-mile one, I'm diving on it with both hands! I'd LOVE a Charger redeye wide body, but feel there are too many one-off bits on it to make one a real PITA in a few years.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

There's allegedly a new 909HP version coming as a last hurrah lol

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    There's allegedly a new 909HP version coming as a last hurrah lol
    you HAD to tell me that!!!
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

True story lol Hopefully not a different PCM like the Demon used for race gas, but instead a flex fuel sensor so it know when you're running E85 so you get the full 909 versus 797/807 on the regular gas. Maaaaybe the bigger blower from the Hellephant, too. Lots of rumors.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    True story lol Hopefully not a different PCM like the Demon used for race gas, but instead a flex fuel sensor so it know when you're running E85 so you get the full 909 versus 797/807 on the regular gas. Maaaaybe the bigger blower from the Hellephant, too. Lots of rumors.
    Soooo, vaporware at this point in time. Given how nasty E10 is, I'll probably never run E85 anywhere, so possibly no benefit for ME!!
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

It's sounding like a lot more than vaporware, but we'll see. Stuff like the Gen 3 426 was in development for a while and got canned, so anything could happen still.

E85 is sooo good for boosted stuff lol

Status

Probably like the Caddy CT5-V Blackwing. SC LT4 this year, ALL electric next year and going forward. Sadly, it's starting to look like the end of the line for ICE engines... just as they're getting stupidly-efficient, and insanely-powereful.

Yeah, I've seen big results with E85, and if you keep running it, and keep it fresh in the system, you're probably okay. Let it set a week, or two, and you get to start replacing fuel system components.

MANY years ago, I had a friend who was big int midget racing. They ran a VW-based engine, that was probably 300-400 HP NA, on alcohol. He said they had to drain and flush the fuel system after each event, or it would literally turn the engine into jell and they have to replace the entire engine. Scary stuff. I'm not a fan of running a fuel that will eat your car when it's sitting in the garage.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

Status

The CTM arrived in fine shape. Now all I have to do is find time to try the swap. We now have extra space in the shop, so will probably space some vehicles out a bit next time we have the bus out of the way so we can open doors and move around the vehicles while everything is parked in position.

Thank you for the help! Updates as the occur!!
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

Good luck! Hope it works for you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2