+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions on maintaining ride quality with dropped suspension.

Default Suggestions on maintaining ride quality with dropped suspension.

Hello,

I have a 00' regular cab, bought it with drop spindles in the front and the belltech 3" drop springs in the back with the nitro shocks. The ride is rough... much rougher than my first R/T which I bought new in 2000 and threw in the Hotchkiss TVS in... man I wish they still made them.

Anyway, I'm willing to spend the money to set this up properly, I just don't know what the best way to go is. Right now I have the 2/4 and would like to maintain that if possible.

In a couple years l will do the cliche crate 392 conversion and I want it to be a comfortable cruiser. For now I have Spintech headers/9000 series mufflers coming at the end of the month and will be rebuilding the rear end, replacing wheel bearings and throwing in a NOS dash I found. If I can soften up the ride while I have it all apart I would really love to.

Any suggestions? What are your experiences? Air ride stories?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

You should post a pic or two of the front suspension. You likely have drop lower control arms, there wasn't anyone making drop spindles. There isn't room for a drop spindle, the lower ball joint, and the wheel unless one was designed for 19" or plus sized wheels.
    Are there bump stops still in place? If so, are they bottoming. Are the shocks bottoming? I would loosen the suspension mounting points, have the weight of the truck on the wheels, then tighten. Some people have been known to tighten the suspension mounts when the wheels were hanging which can put the bushings in a bind.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Here are a couple pics. Maybe just lowering springs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The front seems to ride alright, it's definitely the rear end that is causing the bulk of the issue. It's not bottoming out its just too stiff, even the small bumps rattle my teeth.

Status

Nitros are a much harsher ride than the Street performance. Or go QA1 and adjust.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Thanks, I will definitely check that out. I appreciate the suggestion.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

You have about an inch of downward travel in the front suspension, you will bottom out quite easily. Post a pic of the rear axle tube where it meets the frame rails, there is likely minimal travel there also unless someone installed a c-notch.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Its not C-notched yet. In addition to the 3" Belltech leafs, they threw a 1" block in as well. I cut an inch off the bump stop so there is 3" from the tube to the frame and 2" from the bottom of the stop to the tube.

+ Reply to Thread