+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electric Exhaust Cut-Outs

Supporting Vendor

Status

Default Electric Exhaust Cut-Outs

Has anyone ever used 3" electric cut-out that didn't leak after installing?

I tried the 3 1/2" Race Ready electric cut-out years ago and it started leaking after only a few times using it. I replaced it with a new one and it started leaking just as quickly.

I think I am going to fab up cut-outs with my new exhaust, but I wasn't planning on going electric because of the leaking issue.

Anyone?

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Has anyone ever used 3" electric cut-out that didn't leak after installing?

I tried the 3 1/2" Race Ready electric cut-out years ago and it started leaking after only a few times using it. I replaced it with a new one and it started leaking just as quickly.

I think I am going to fab up cut-outs with my new exhaust, but I wasn't planning on going electric because of the leaking issue.

Anyone?
    I wonder how well a vacuum actuator would work. Also maybe something as simple as a push pull cable?
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Last year I was thinking about putting cutouts on my truck. I read all the reviews on Summit and Jegs for all the different brands, none of them had great longevity.

Accumulating parts...

Status

I haven't heard of a push/pull or electric style that doesn't eventually leak. Only ones that don't are the style with plates that have to manually remove and use a gasket.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Supporting Vendor

Status

I wonder how well a vacuum actuator would work. Also maybe something as simple as a push pull cable?
    The problem I had was the plate not sealing. I put a new electric motor on it and the problem was still there.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Only ones that don't are the style with plates that have to manually remove and use a gasket.
    That is probably the way I will go. I'm going to try and make it accessible without crawling under the vehicle.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I have been curious what Kendigit uses for cut-outs, they appear to install a fair number of them. They have to be using a quality piece
    Last edited by 9t9-5.2; 03-09-2022 at 02:21 PM.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

What about an OEM piece? Like from a charger.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I have been curious what Kendigit uses for cut-outs, they appear to install a fair number of them. They have to be using a quality piece
    Any link to their cut outs?

Supporting Vendor

Status

What about an OEM piece? Like from a charger.
    Not familiar with them. Any link to them?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Any link to their cut outs?
    https://www.kindigitapparel.com/prod...xhaust-cutouts

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Not familiar with them. Any link to them?
    https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com...Exhaust&type=3

Idk much about them or if they hold up but maybe be able to find in junkyard for cheap

I think most higher sports cars have active exhaust now.

Of course modification is needed, but thats a given and will be easy.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post

Idk much about them or if they hold up but maybe be able to find in junkyard for cheap

I second this notion niebs, I've been holding onto a set of mustang GT350 exhaust mufflers, that have the active exhaust baffles, got it all free from a buddy of mine's body shop. EDIT: Plans are to somehow get them fitted and plumbed to the truck. Not sure if they will have completely the same effect as a true cut-out system though, I think they are still muffled somewhat. My '15 scat pack also has the active baffles in each rear muffler, but there's no switch just actuates automatically from whatever the engine computer tells it to do.
    Last edited by JDreamR/T; 03-11-2022 at 01:16 AM.
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Supporting Vendor

Status

I second this notion niebs, I've been holding onto a set of mustang GT350 exhaust mufflers, that have the active exhaust baffles, got it all free from a buddy of mine's body shop. EDIT: Plans are to somehow get them fitted and plumbed to the truck. Not sure if they will have completely the same effect as a true cut-out system though, I think they are still muffled somewhat. My '15 scat pack also has the active baffles in each rear muffler, but there's no switch just actuates automatically from whatever the engine computer tells it to do.
    At first glance the Dual Mode Exhaust seems like more of a noise maker than making the system freer flowing. Their version of the cut out is at the rear of the vehicle, so even when you open it up, you are still forcing the exhaust through the majority of the plumbing. I want mine to dump shortly after the header collector, so it bypasses the rest of the exhaust system. Or if their cut out allows the full exit of exhaust gases, maybe it can be mounted further upstream. I'll have to look into it more and see exactly how their cut-out mechanism works.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Been trying to find a good pick of the Challenger cut-out without much success yet. It seems to be a butterfly valve inside the exhaust pipe. If that is the case, I doubt it would seal enough for it to dump right after the collectors. Since it dumps toward the rear of the exhaust, some leakage may not be as noticeable.

Supporting Vendor

Status

One thing about the oem cut-out is the spring. I bet the motor overshoots the closed position enough to place tension on the spring, which should help keep the butterfly plate closed, I would think, for a better seal. The aftermarket tends to make theirs direct drive, so maybe the motor can’t go any farther to keep tension on the plate, when things start to loosen up a bit. ???

Status

One thing about the oem cut-out is the spring. I bet the motor overshoots the closed position enough to place tension on the spring, which should help keep the butterfly plate closed, I would think, for a better seal. The aftermarket tends to make theirs direct drive, so maybe the motor can’t go any farther to keep tension on the plate, when things start to loosen up a bit. ???
    Richard, you make a lot of good points, and I agree that like I said prior it's not really a true "cut-out" system. It appears to me that the baffle side is a straight thru design however, so there's that benefit at least. I meant to grab a few photos of what I got laying about today for you. But I will try to look into it tomorrow for you and will investigate further on the operation of the actuators as well.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Richard, you make a lot of good points, and I agree that like I said prior it's not really a true "cut-out" system. It appears to me that the baffle side is a straight thru design however, so there's that benefit at least. I meant to grab a few photos of what I got laying about today for you. But I will try to look into it tomorrow for you and will investigate further on the operation of the actuators as well.
    Thanks!

Supporting Vendor

Status

I had no idea there were so many “active exhaust systems” from many car manufacturers out there. Maybe if I can acquire just the motor portion with the spring, I could retrofit it to an aftermarket manufacturers cut-out.

Some pics. There is apparently a hole in the center of the flapper valve:
    https://www.lxforums.com/threads/act...delete.387688/

You can see the spring in this link:
    https://www.hellcat.org/threads/mfer...talled.218117/

A vid showing the electric motor and spring:
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...ImgRaw%26r%3D0

Magnaflow has a 3” active exhaust with their own version of the flapper valve. However, they apparently don’t sell it separately, and I can’t find any close-up pics of it. I wonder if it has a hole in the center of the flapper valve too?

Supporting Vendor

Status

The last time I looked at exhaust cut-outs was 2007. Apparently, there have been some refinements. For instance, the DPW 30306 uses a spring as well: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dgp-30306

Status

Richard, sorry its already been a week but here are some photos of the mustang mufflers I got. I tried to get the actuator to...actuate, but alas nothing happened when I applied 12V to it. I am unsure if they even sell any replacement parts for just the actuator motor who knows will take a bit of research. At any rate these are unlike the Dodge active exhausts that have a hole in the center, I believe these mufflers are straight thru when open and when closed it diverts to the secondary offset outlet. Anxious to hear how they sound if I ever get them hooked up.

Ignore the mess in the garage lol

Supporting Vendor

Status

What size pipes do they take?

Status

2-3/4" inlet, 2-1/2" outlets

Status

So did a little more digging, and found a part number on the actuator. Part number is E300646932 and is made from German company Kuster, seems the same exact actuator is used on many OEM's from Lamborghini's, Mercedes, to Hyundai's and ...Fords. The Ford equivalent part is FR3V-9V468-AB.

Link to Kuster's Exhaust Actuator page:
    https://www.kuester.net/en/products/...xhaust-systems

And here's a video of the Audi/VW equivalent:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOp8vng52PY
    Last edited by JDreamR/T; 03-23-2022 at 08:31 PM. Reason: youtube link

Supporting Vendor

Status

I found this link on active exhaust rattling: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...ttling.127063/

I have a buddy that works at Ford in prototype development IIRC. I should give him a call and ask him if he knows anything about them.

Edit: I contacted my buddy, but he doesn't know much about them. He said there have been problems with them pissing off the neighbors. He said at Ford he would start up a test vehicle in the parking lot, and people would jump at the abrupt loudness.

This morning around 4am, there was some idiot racing around with the exhaust open, waking everyone up along the way. "Hey Dipstick!"
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 03-24-2022 at 03:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast