+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mopar mids

Default Mopar mids

Do these for any better than the SpinTech? SpinTech seem hit or miss on fitment. SpinTech needs a port plate, the Mopar mids don't? This part is for 4x4, will it fit and R/T?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12496869237...cAAOSwYe1hdBFM

Supporting Vendor

Status

I'm thinking they might fit, but that's a lot of money for some well-used, rusty headers. I think I paid less than $600 when I bought mine new. I believe they were 1 5/8" tube.

I have a set of Spintech, that have never been used. I did mock them up and found an interference problem with the steering shaft of my 1998 R/T. So, I heated a couple of the offending primary tubes with a torch and dented the tubes in with an impact socket and hammer. The dents apparently make little difference, if any at all, in the power produced by the engine. I'm thinking of selling them in favor of fabricating my own headers using Larry Meaux's Pipe Max software.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    I'm thinking they might fit, but that's a lot of money for some well-used, rusty headers. I think I paid less than $600 when I bought mine new. I believe they were 1 5/8" tube.

I have a set of Spintech, that have never been used. I did mock them up and found an interference problem with the steering shaft of my 1998 R/T. So, I heated a couple of the offending primary tubes with a torch and dented the tubes in with an impact socket and hammer. The dents apparently make little difference, if any at all, in the power produced by the engine. I'm thinking of selling them in favor of fabricating my own headers using Larry Meaux's Pipe Max software.
    Short of banging the header completely closed, doesn't seem to make a bit of difference to its performance to deflect a header . The deflection simply changes the shape of the volume and does not lessen it.
    Had a friend with a 428 69 Mustang. Brand new headers ran 11.38's. Hit a high patch driving at home and squashed two bottom tubes of both headers. they looked like "ovals" rather than cylindrical.
    We were gonna fix it but had other work to do so brought it to the track anyway and ran 11'3s and 4's all day.

Status

Oh dam, that’s a lot of $ for that old set

Status

For that money get the spintech..
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Quote Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
    For that money get the spintech..
    I wouldn't buy these, but from time-to-time I see ones like these come up for sale. Hence the questions.

I did see a brand new old stock set of tri -y's they wanted $1600 for.
    Perhaps that is where this pricing for the used set was established from.

Status

For $1500 I’ll rip my hooker LTs off my truck lol ��!

Supporting Vendor

Status

You used to be able to get a set of custom headers made for that price. lol I've decided to sell my unused Spintech's in favor a fabricating a tuned exhaust using the Pipemax and Perfomance Trends engine software. However, I am finding that the price of mandrel bent tubing has gone through the roof, if it is even available.

Status

The price of material is sky high also

Supporting Vendor

Status

The price of material is sky high also
    Shutting the economy down due to covid was a big mistake. I don't think it helped one bit, and the fallout from it is extremely painful.

I just stopped in at Mancini Racing, and they said many items aren't available due to a workforce shortage. For instance, TTI exhaust can't find and keep welders. Spintech lead times were as high as 1 year, since they couldn't find or keep welders either. Where is everybody? How can they afford not to work???

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Shutting the economy down due to covid was a big mistake. I don't think it helped one bit, and the fallout from it is extremely painful.

I just stopped in at Mancini Racing, and they said many items aren't available due to a workforce shortage. For instance, TTI exhaust can't find and keep welders. Spintech lead times were as high as 1 year, since they couldn't find or keep welders either. Where is everybody? How can they afford not to work???
    Yea idk, I have great welders/fabricators, but 1 guy is hit and miss and it sucks cause he’s a great welder, do I fire him? and the other guy is a good welder but whines and complains about shit I ask him to do, so guess who’s been doing all the heavy shit, or the shit no one else wants too

Status

The 4x4 headers will fit a R/T 4x2 the 4x2 headers will not fit a 4x4. One of the pipes on the 4x4 version has been reworked to accept the steering shaft interference. How do I know? Simple, I was duped into buying the set of 4x2 headers off someone on a long defunct forum and learned the hard way, when I was told they are all the same and no one really knew. So then I purchased another set of the correct ones for a helluva lot more money, but I got the set new from someone off this board and I paid dearly because they were out of production and very scarce.
    Last edited by lilwhitetruck; 03-08-2022 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
    White 98D SLT+ 5.9, 2.02 R/T Heads, 1:7 RR, IP CAI, MP PCM, PPH Headers, M1, MP Deep Trannie Pan, Detroit in back. T/S Lift, Lookin for more stuff to do LOL!

+ Reply to Thread