+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The good, the bad, the ugly, rear disc brake conversion

Default The good, the bad, the ugly, rear disc brake conversion

What is good, bad and ugly of this disc brake conversion. The way I see it, I have to find a 03-04, 2wd 9.25 rear end in the junk yard (hard to do around my area, they all seem to be 4x4 and rusted pieces of crap. Cost ~500 to 750. Then if I do find one, I'm almost positive it won't have 3.90s and a limit slip in it, so swap over the diff my self or pay someone. Cost ~unsure. Then it will surely need new calipers, brake pads and hoses, cost ~250-300. Then, time to install, hook everything up. Other than not having Mopar parts, seems like this kit is cost effective, all new parts, don't have change out rear end. Seems like an easy afternoon in the garage. What am I missing?

https://ssbc-usa.com/products/a157?r..._dakota~ha_r-t

Status

Still going to need a proportioning valve.

I got axle for $100, but planned on a gear change down to a 3:21 and a complete rebuild for when the 392/8sp swap happens.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

I put those on my truck when I still owned it. That kit actually WORKED, and worked well!! It's really a very easy install. You do not need a new proportioning valve. The included instructions tell you how to modify the original. If I remember right, you only have to remove the spring from inside the prop. valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
    I put those on my truck when I still owned it. That kit actually WORKED, and worked well!! It's really a very easy install. You do not need a new proportioning valve. The included instructions tell you how to modify the original. If I remember right, you only have to remove the spring from inside the prop. valve.
    If the caliper or brake pads ever need replacing, do you remember what you would order?

I think they came off of a T-bird, but I do not remember what year. The parts were readily available though.

Status

Have you thought about an 8.25 rear? Cheaper option and still plenty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Have you thought about an 8.25 rear? Cheaper option and still plenty strong.
    Hardly no 2wd 2003-2004 Dakotas in the junk yards around here and the ones I find are striped. If I did find one, I would also have to buy the limit slip and 3.90s gears and have them installed. Just seems easier to keep my 9.25 that is in excellent shape, buy the kit and install it in an afternoon. Not 100% Mopar, but half of the stuff on my engine isn't Mopar anymore and none of my exhaust is Mopar.

I like that rear disc brake kit you found. I was going to replace my rear brakes wheel cylinders hardware and drums this summer,but I like this better

Going to a junk yard (or parts truck) and getting a Dakota 03/04 rear disc factory rear end is a good option. I just think fo me, this option is going to cost less and be a lot easier to install. It would be nice to stay with Dodge parts, but I already have Hotchkis TVS...and that's not Dodge, so what's one more thing. Also, I've been looking for a year now and can't find an 03/04 2wd in the junk yards, they are all 4wd.

Just ordered the SSBC-USA brake kit . Couple weeks out for delivery .Replacement parts are local parts . The rotors are theirs. I’ll post when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Red barchetta View Post
    Just ordered the SSBC-USA brake kit . Couple weeks out for delivery .Replacement parts are local parts . The rotors are theirs. I’ll post when they arrive.
    Unfinished or powder coated? I'm going to order next month, I need to get my transmission done first.

Unfinished,

Keep an eye on your order, there is a post on facebook Dakota R/T classifieds group that someone ordered their SSBC Dakota rear brake kit in Oct and the order hasn't been filled yet.

Thanks for the heads up

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Hardly no 2wd 2003-2004 Dakotas in the junk yards around here and the ones I find are striped. If I did find one, I would also have to buy the limit slip and 3.90s gears and have them installed. Just seems easier to keep my 9.25 that is in excellent shape, buy the kit and install it in an afternoon. Not 100% Mopar, but half of the stuff on my engine isn't Mopar anymore and none of my exhaust is Mopar.
    Thats a good point. I used an '03 4x4 rear but cut the leaf perches off and welded new ones on in the correct location. 3.90 gears and I installed a Spartan auto locker. Awesome combination. Open diff when needed but fully locked when under power.
    Not intended to be an ad but my set up is for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Thats a good point. I used an '03 4x4 rear but cut the leaf perches off and welded new ones on in the correct location. 3.90 gears and I installed a Spartan auto locker. Awesome combination. Open diff when needed but fully locked when under power.
    Not intended to be an ad but my set up is for sale.
    You still have your Dakota?

1C536E29-28A9-4996-A6FF-0A9567CBB701.jpgD274C4D2-6B3A-40B7-AD3C-AE11E2E4B201.jpg4ED9F6A0-667C-4169-A879-C412E205D940.jpgBought the SSBC-USA rear brake conversion kit . Parts arrived . If I can figure out how to upload pics on this phone I’ll post pics . Between work , replacing header gasket , and replacing steering rack . I’m 4 weeks away from doing this conversion . Instructions are very detailed . Parts look good quality,.

1C536E29-28A9-4996-A6FF-0A9567CBB701.jpgD274C4D2-6B3A-40B7-AD3C-AE11E2E4B201.jpg4ED9F6A0-667C-4169-A879-C412E205D940.jpgBought the SSBC-USA rear brake conversion kit . Parts arrived . If I can figure out how to upload pics on this phone I’ll post pics . Between work , replacing header gasket , and replacing steering rack . I’m 4 weeks away from doing this conversion . Instructions are very detailed . Parts look good quality,.
    That's awesome.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Nice!
    I'd like to have vented rotors on mine. 11 years ago I found an 03 2wd 8.25 with an Auburn Gear diff. Still has the OE 3.55's though, I have 4.10's on the shelf but still like to road trip the truck.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    You still have your Dakota?
    Kinda Its just sheet metal right now.
    https://imgur.com/a/eTVg9RG

1400+ 1/4 mile passes

Status

Here's mine from March of last year
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best pass 2002 Dodge Dakota : 13.302 @ 103.39 MPH and 1/8 E.T. 8.569 @ 82.87mph

Drag Track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNQhtcXkKE
    New Years Eve Burnout http://youtu.be/tnWhrInUB6o

www.AIRRAM.com Discounted Performance Parts with FREE SHIPPING!
    Special salute for Barry Hunter

How do you like it? I mean like in every day driving, And did you do the 04 Dakota front brake conversion?

1400+ 1/4 mile passes

Status

Mine isn't a daily. It's 99% drag raced. The only issue on it is if you run a 15" wheel the caliper bleeder is only about 1/16 away from the rim. I made a ¼" spacer for the axle and it's fine

Best pass 2002 Dodge Dakota : 13.302 @ 103.39 MPH and 1/8 E.T. 8.569 @ 82.87mph

Drag Track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNQhtcXkKE
    New Years Eve Burnout http://youtu.be/tnWhrInUB6o

www.AIRRAM.com Discounted Performance Parts with FREE SHIPPING!
    Special salute for Barry Hunter

I assume it’s a big difference in stopping distance compared to the old drums

Install?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast