+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harland Sharp rocker question

Default Harland Sharp rocker question

I have Edelbrock heads, shorty headers, 1.6 Harland Sharp rocker arms and cast aluminum valve covers. There is no ticking or knocking, but the top of the engine sounds loud. I can't pin point it, it just sounds louder than what I think it should sound. I bought the truck with the Harland Sharp rockers already installed, so I don't have a stock setup to compare. Is this normal?

By "loud" you mean like a clattering?
    Is the noise less or more or same upon start up?

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    By "loud" you mean like a clattering?
    Is the noise less or more or same upon start up?
    The sound really doesn't change whether the engine is cold or hot. Not sure if you would call it "clattering", it seems really loud. I keep reading that the injectors can be loud, I wonder if that's what I'm hearing. I can't seem to pin point it to one area, it's just all over. Overall, the truck runs fine, aside from the transmission.

Because it is just "noisy" I'm not sure a video will capture it, but I will recored it after work today.
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-25-2022 at 02:30 PM.

I went around the engine with a long screw driver up to my ear, all up and down the valve covers, I can hear the valve train, but it sounds smooth. Same thing with the injectors, I can hear them, a mild click through the screw driver. All over the manifold and accessories, nothing. I took the accessory belt off, the fan noise went alway but the noisy sound was still there. You can hear it really good in the video, if you back up 3 or 4 feet in front of the truck, you can't really hear it. I've had the trans shield and started off and reinstalled, so it's not those. Shorty headers have been off, cleaned and reinstalled with Remflex gaskets. Kegger intake has been removed and replaced with a M1, no change. Almost sounds like it's coming from the distributor area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hThQj4Ib4
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-26-2022 at 12:44 AM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Sound is somewhat of a subjective thing. One person thinks it's fine, and another is concerned. OEM puts a great deal of time and money making sure the vehicle is quiet, smooth and comfortable. Aftermarket, not so much. But I really don't hear anything that sounds like a problem. (Maybe, turn up the music? Just kidding!) Unfortunately, sound can travel to other areas, and be very confusing as to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Sound is somewhat of a subjective thing. One person thinks it's fine, and another is concerned. OEM puts a great deal of time and money making sure the vehicle is quiet, smooth and comfortable. Aftermarket, not so much. But I really don't hear anything that sounds like a problem. (Maybe, turn up the music? Just kidding!) Unfortunately, sound can travel to other areas, and be very confusing as to the source.
    Thanks Richard, I think I'm just over reacting, that's why I asked for a second opinion. The headers, exhaust, aluminum valve covers, open intake track, maybe aluminum roller rockers amplify the natural sounds of the engine. Thats why I said "noisy", it didn't sound like a tick or knock. I just haven't heard anyone else R/T that has similar parts on it like mine.

- Side note: I'm the one that ordered the black fuel rails.

I hear a little valve train clatter. Mine does the same thing with the Richard's 1.65 rockers from Hughes.
    Like you stated, these sounds tend to get magnified once you remove the cast iron parts from the engine such as exhaust manifolds.
    My valves may be a bit on the loose side at 1/2 turn after lash or they may have loosened up a bit since the build 2 yrs ago.
    Not worth tightening to me to get rid of the noise.
    Truck moves out mighty fine and all gauges showing normal parameters.

Just went through the receipts that came with my truck. The cam is a Hughes 208/214 on a 110 lobe center, the lifters are HUG5006. Note the bold print on the lifters, I wonder if that is what I am hearing.

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...o&partid=11034
    Last edited by musky mike; 02-02-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Status

Could be. Thought I had valve train noise and once you get that earworm it's hard to let go. Checked with the previous owner and said it was normal sound for Rhodes lifters that were installed.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Just went through the receipts that came with my truck. The cam is a Hughes 208/214 on a 110 lobe center, the lifters are HUG5006. Not the bold print on the lifters, I wonder if that is what I am hearing.

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...o&partid=11034
    I'd say you found your noise. Lifter/valve train chatter. I think your exhaust is just too quiet!! LOL!
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    I'd say you found your noise. Lifter/valve train chatter. I think your exhaust is just too quiet!! LOL!
    Actually, Spintech 2.5 duals with Spintech mufflers, 3" side exit before rear tires, it's pretty loud. lol

Accumulating parts...

Status

They HS rockers sound like a sewing machine. Definitely can hear them over stock rockers.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

+ Reply to Thread