+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mopar 5.9 shorty headers

Default Mopar 5.9 shorty headers

Is there anything special about Mopar 5.9 shorty headers?

Status

The Mopar headers were mid-length like Spintech. Shorties are bolt in replacements for the cast iron manifolds.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Is there anything special about Mopar 5.9 shorty headers?
    Most of these aftermarket exhausts have real small primaries. Like an inch and a half. Ok with limited or no mods but insubstantial for some when you start to make your mill breathe more.

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Most of these aftermarket exhausts have real small primaries. Like an inch and a half. Ok with limited or no mods but insubstantial for some when you start to make your mill breathe more.
    Ya, I had the guy measure them and they 1.5" primary.

Default Identify these headers

Ad says they are for a 1996 Dakota 318. They look like Tri-Ys. $175, not sure if they make good power. I guess they would be better than shorty headers, but not as good as SpinTech or the Mid-Length headers, but at $175 they are cheap. Don't think they will fit my 2001.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ad says they are for a 1996 Dakota 318. They look like Tri-Ys. $175, not sure if they make good power. I guess they would be better than shorty headers, but not as good as SpinTech or the Mid-Length headers, but at $175 they are cheap. Don't think they will fit my 2001.
    They could be as good. Their longer length can add some torque that their primary width would lose at the top end..
    I thought the tri-y's were 1and 5/8" pri's for our trucks.

They could be as good. Their longer length can add some torque that their primary width would lose at the top end..
    I thought the tri-y's were 1and 5/8" pri's for our trucks.
    They are for a 1996 Dakota with a 318, will they fit a 2001, 360?
    Last edited by musky mike; 01-29-2022 at 05:53 PM.

They a for a 1996 Dakota with a 318, will they fit a 2001, 360?
    The flange will. After that, you would need to ask what is the drop and throw of these headers measurement wise. It would begin to give you a clue as substructure interference from 1996 to your truck.
    What is probably not included are the bungs. You would have to install and weld those in yourself.
    I had the Edlebrock's shorties on my 95. With those I had to heat and bend tubing for them to connect to down pipe.

Wish I still had it to measure substructure differences with my 2000.
    If you can't be sure Mike and the guy won't take a return or you don't feature installing bungs, in your shoes, I'd venture elsewhere.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Dod...P40701317.html

The flange will. After that, you would need to ask what is the drop and throw of these headers measurement wise. It would begin to give you a clue as substructure interference from 1996 to your truck.
    What is probably not included are the bungs. You would have to install and weld those in yourself.
    I had the Edlebrock's shorties on my 95. With those I had to heat and bend tubing for them to connect to down pipe.

Wish I still had it to measure substructure differences with my 2000.
    If you can't be sure Mike and the guy won't take a return or you don't feature installing bungs, in your shoes, I'd venture elsewhere.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Dod...P40701317.html
    I have Gibson shorty headers installed now, and a pair of JBA stainless shorties in the garage. It's just all the shorties are 1.5" primaries, wish they would have made them 1 5/8s. I was thinking for the price of mids, even if these were 1 5/8s and had to be massaged some, they are cheap.

I It's just all the shorties are 1.5" primaries, wish they would have made them 1 5/8s. .
    The one's I linked to you are the only 1 and 5/8" shorties I've ever seen.

The one's I linked to you are the only 1 and 5/8" shorties I've ever seen.
    I missed the 1 5/8, I wonder if that is correct. When I look up the same Pacesetter Shorties at Summit Racing they are listed as 1 1/2. Has anyone verified the 1 15/8?

https://pacesetterexhaust.com/Produc...age1_20/624571

I missed the 1 5/8, I wonder if that is correct. When I look up the same Pacesetter Shorties at Summit Racing they are listed as 1 1/2. Has anyone verified the 1 15/8?

https://pacesetterexhaust.com/Produc...age1_20/624571
    It is not correct. Even Pace lists them as 1.5".

+ Reply to Thread