+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine Masters: 5.9 Magnum Intake Shootout

Supporting Vendor

Status

Default Engine Masters: 5.9 Magnum Intake Shootout

Interesting but a little biased. I use the UTawesome plates in the ported kegger.my but dyno says double the gain. But I have EQ heads prepped by IMM. And more cam so the legged mod may have helped more.disappointed that they jet the carbs , but didn’t tune the more modified kegger. They also left out the fuely air gap. Not to advertise for Marty , but if you keep a kegger like I did you have to put Marty’s oil deflector in the lifter valley. Drops intake air temp , from the heat soak .

Supporting Vendor

Status

The tune for the kegger had a proper AFR but the carbs didn’t. To make it fair, they re-jetted the carbs for a proper AFR. That was necessary to maintain the proper AFR in all tests.

The kegger in stock form, is probably the best for low end torque in a stock 5.2/5.9. But when you increase performance, or cubes to say 408, then the kegger is going to have a harder time flowing the extra cubic inch volume, and will choke the engine. Also, when you start adding a bigger cam, cylinder heads etc., then you are increasing the rpm range, which the kegger wasn’t designed for. The flow path in the kegger, takes a tortuous route, and is not efficient, as the rpm increases. That is why I didn’t spend time trying to make the kegger into something it is not.

The Airgap is clearly a better intake for performance, from bottom-to-top rpm, as indicated by the Engine Master’s testing.

Note: I don’t knock anyone for trying to improve the performance of parts. There is just more to be gained in this case with a freer flowing intake.

I would have liked to have seen the tb on an Air Gap.
    These guys Frieburger and Dulcich try very hard but they are not the end all be all for correct info.
    I once heard Frieburger completely mis-explain cam overlap.

I understand the limitation of the kegger. What about the Indy 360 .Has anyone used the Indy 360 manifold and kept the a/c compressor? Does it fit a standard size and location intake port? That wasn’t part of the test. Was always curious about that intake on a hot, street 408.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I understand the limitation of the kegger. What about the Indy 360 .Has anyone used the Indy 360 manifold and kept the a/c compressor? Does it fit a standard size and location intake port? That wasn’t part of the test. Was always curious about that intake on a hot, street 408.
    The Indy intake is a race unit, which people do run on the street. However, it is best suited to high rpm power. It basically outflows other intakes except for a tunnel ram intake.

It is not a plug-and-play intake for the stock engine accessories. I have machined fuel rail bungs in many of them for people, along with supplying fuel rails.

The port size can vary due to casting shift, and not necessarily line up perfectly with the cylinder head port. In some areas, the port may be wider than the OEM head port. To remedy that, Indy specifies the use of epoxy, to fill in areas where it may be too wide.

There is also no provision for the bypass hose, so people have to get creative for that. People have used various methods to accommodate that, such as thermostat adapters with bypass ports, etc.

A hot 408 can better utilize the flow capabilities of this intake…but I certainly would not use a kegger on a 408, whether OEM or modified.

The highest flowing intake would be a tunnel ram, but the Indy is the next best thing.

Thanks. The weiand tunnel ram setup looks beautiful. I drive the truck to work every day in Phoenix ,a/c is a must. Options are limited, but not like driving my truck too much to make it a project truck. maybe an M1 will turn up.

Sorry for the typo. I meant. I like driving my truck too much to make it a long term project.

+ Reply to Thread