+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electric fan mounting

Default Electric fan mounting

Have a friend who purchased a Flexalite 180 for his 1970 Mustang w a 487 FE. He doesn't have the clearance for it so he wants to sell it to me.
    I have a 2000 cc R/T w the factory installed electric fan and the large, cumbersome plastic shrouding that includes the built in overflow tank
    Do I need to remove the original electric fan to mount the Flexalite?

Status

That one is reversible right? So you could install in front and use it as a pusher. That way you can keep the og fan.

I use a 2 speed Ford Taurus electric cooling fan mounted behind that bulky , everything in one shroud. Truck runs cooler than the O E. Electric and clutch fan combo. I commute in Phoenix traffic everyday .

Quote Originally Posted by Red barchetta View Post
    I use a 2 speed Ford Taurus electric cooling fan mounted behind that bulky , everything in one shroud. Truck runs cooler than the O E. Electric and clutch fan combo. I commute in Phoenix traffic everyday .
    Haa. I was just in Phoenix this past weekend. It was still hot.
    So you had sufficient clearance for the additional fan even keeping all the crap that's already there?
    02's have the additional factory electric fan?

Yes ,it clears. But I think the factory cooling fan wiring is only capable of 20amp continuous. I had to make my own wiring with 2relays and a temp switch to have low speed on temp and high speed on a/c and computer command .
    This is sweater weather . Gotta come here in July 105 degrees at 5am 115 by noon ��

This is sweater weather . Gotta come here in July 105 degrees at 5am 115 by noon ��
    You guys wear sweaters at 84*? I guess that would be cold for ya. It was 64* when my friend from Fountain Hills came here. He had to wear a winter coat.
    In 2019 I came at the beginning of August. Took a walk w the bride at 6am. 88 degrees. The day got to 106. At midnite, it was 98*. In Phoenix at 9pm, I had my windshield shot out w the rental I was using.
    It's not a great combination to me.

That sucks . Everyone ok?.

That sucks . Everyone ok?.
    Everyone survived. Some ass wipe perched out the window of a high rise with a 22 caliber rifle shooting at ppls cars.
    First time I had been back there in years. Ended up being a fucking custodian who thought he'd have fun while on his break. He had shot at over a dozen cars and finally got nailed when the cops came to investigate and a window was shot at on a car next to where they were standing. People have gone nuts.
    Now I understand it's a criminal hot bed. What the hell happened to this beautiful city?

So what I'm gonna try to do is run with the factory fan.
    I'll switch it however so it doesn't come on with just the a/c pressure switch.
    I'll ground the toggle switch and run the other lead to the rad fan relay and stuff it in the 1085 slot and then jam in the relay.
    Should make the fan come on any time i want.
    Might hold up here. Not so sure I'd try this in Texas or Arizona or Florida.

The factory electric fan worked good by itself until the air temp got around 110 in traffic . Open road driving it was always good

+ Reply to Thread