+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting HPTuners working on our trucks

Status

Default Getting HPTuners working on our trucks

Starting a new thread. Searched and it does not seem to be documented.

Got HPTuners and use an old Innovate LM2 for wideband. Was hoping this was going to be a little more plug and play, but like everything else I seem to do with this truck its not going easy.

First problem. Was having erratic connection issues. Had to put in a new OBDII connector the old one was worn.

Second issue. I read the vehicle and it read OK but when I went to record it just stopped. Took me a while to figure out to load the default channels for the vehicle. Now records some channels, but others not. Getting zero for RPM and several other channels. Haven't figured out what's going on here and could use some help. if anyone got some suggestions.

I believe you can save your channel setups to a file. If anyone would care to share their setup file that is up and working, it would be great.

Third issue was getting the LM2 talking to the laptop as a serial device into the HPTuners. When I started to record that channel that I set up would just disappear. I would have to disconnect and reconnect for the channel to reappear. First thing tried was to update the firmware to the LM2. Which I think may have been a big mistake. Since updating the reading seem erratic with dropouts, drifting. Before with the engine off it read an AFR of 20, now it like 18 and may drift down to 16 with drops down to 7. One time it reading 80.

Need to see if there is a way to go back to rev 1.5 on the Firmware, because it seem way more stable and upgrading the firmware did not fix the connection issue to HPTuners.

To connect to the HPTuners serially you need the Innovate serial cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MDXVTI

You also need a Serial to USB converter to connect to most modern laptops.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFNHTL9

Yesterday figured out the connection issue. The output of the LM2 is 19.2kb and the default Windows set the converter cable was 9600 baud. Set it to to 19.2 and started seeing the LM2. I actually got some numbers across, but did not correlate to AFR. There is some math equations that need to be put in. However. when I stopped and restarted the recording the data also stopped and I couldn't restart it. Gave up for the night.

To document there the formula that need to added to read AFR is (Input / 68.05 ) + 7.35 = Output, if using Lambda its (input / 1024) + 0.5 = Output

Appreciate any thoughts or help here.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

I have been thinking about getting a HP tuner, but having been worried about no one else using it that would able to help me though issues like you are having.
    Last edited by musky mike; 09-15-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Status

Got a chance to play around with it some more.

The non reading channels I was able to get working by deleting the channel and re-adding it. I noticed when I when checking the channels, that on some were there were two instances of the channel configured. For instance it there were 2 active RPM channels configured.

I was able to consistently get the LM2 to talk to HPTuners. Required reboots when the with serial/USB cable and LM2 plugged in. It also read pretty close to the numbers that were displayed on the screen with out putting in the math formulas. However since the firmware update the thing is totally erratic

Another problem was after the reboot to get the LM2 talking, then HPTuners wouldn't talk to the interface. Unplugging the interface from the OBD and USB then reconnecting started it talking again.

Given all the problems with the LM2. I'm giving up on it. Was trying to do this on the cheap and just don't need the headache. Just going to order a X-series AEM wideband, which by all accounts works flawlessly with HPTuners.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

Evilrt, can you explain how to hooks up and how the x-series AEM Wideband O2 works?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Evilrt, can you explain how to hooks up and how the x-series AEM Wideband O2 works?
    HPTuners is a software package that runs on your laptop. It talks to the car via USB to the MVPI2+ interface that plugs into the OBD port. Our trucks don't have wide band O2 for datalogging. The old Innovate LM2 is a datalogger/scanner with a wideband sensor.

With HPTuners you need the pro version if you want to add analog channels, or you can hook directly the laptop with a serial connection without having to buy the pro feature upgrade for $249. The LM2 has a serial out, but it is buggy as hell and was never really supported by Innovate

The AEM X series is a standlone wideband sensor and gauge. I has analog, serial and CAN out.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

So you get the HPTuner software, cable interface (MVPI2), AEM X series Wideband gauge and O2 sensor. After setting up the datalog channel, plug into gauge and datalog?

Status

So you get the HPTuner software, cable interface (MVPI2), AEM X series Wideband gauge and O2 sensor. After setting up the datalog channel, plug into gauge and datalog?
    Physical connections would be the MVPI2 plugged into the OBD port. USB cable to from it to a laptop. Two wires from the AEM to a DB9 connector. Serial to USB converter from the DB9 to the laptop. Configure a serial channel the the HPTuners for the AEM then you can record.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

Can you post a link to the AEM X wide band gauge and O2 sensor you are going to use.

Status

Can you post a link to the AEM X wide band gauge and O2 sensor you are going to use.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/AEM/017/30-0300/10002/-1
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

+ Reply to Thread