+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Valve Lifter Noise??

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Default Valve Lifter Noise??

Think I might have a collapsed lifter...
    Not sure but that's what it sounds like. Here's a video, sounds like it's coming from the passenger side but hard to tell and the rockers look OK...

Any thoughts?

Definitely worse on cold engine, sometimes sounds like it goes away after revving and quiets down some when warmed up. But yesterday was certainly a little louder than normal.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Can you tell which one it is? Have you tried adjusting them? Are you going 3/4 turn or 1/2 turn after taking up the slack?

Status
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status
    Blog Entries

What weight oil are you using ?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    What weight oil are you using ?
    10w-30 Valvoline VR1

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Hahaha great song but let's keep the tapping for the magic bus

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Can you tell which one it is? Have you tried adjusting them? Are you going 3/4 turn or 1/2 turn after taking up the slack?
    The noise recently started to occur, so a little while ago I readjusted a few rockers on that side that seemed to have too much slack. My procedure was 1/2 turn past zero lash. Also I noted that one or two were really easy to preload, like I could depress the pushrod by hand...
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Try this: See if you can isolate which lifter it is with the big screw driver stethoscope or heater hose place on the rocker.
    Check to see if a pushrod is not bent on that rocker.
    If good, drain the oil and use a moly engine flush to see if you can dislodge any dirt that may be trapped inside the lifter.
    Fill it back up and add some Lucas Heavy duty oil stabilizer and 10-30 synthetic and see if you still have the noise.

Status

Here's what I found...a few more were like this, but the #3 intake was the worst...

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    Here's what I found...a few more were like this, but the #3 intake was the worst...
    Were these new lifters?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Were these new lifters?
    They were not, shame on me for taking a chance with them
    They were included in the sale of the crane rockers, and appeared to have very little wear. Lesson learned, just put the order in for 16 new ones from rockauto.com

Good news is everything still looks great, cam lobes, pushrods, etc. No other damage is apparent, glad I caught it right away at least.

Any idea what brand they are?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    Any idea what brand they are?
    No clue, if I had to guess mopar maybe...

They were not, shame on me for taking a chance with them
    They were included in the sale of the crane rockers, and appeared to have very little wear. Lesson learned, just put the order in for 16 new ones from rockauto.com

Good news is everything still looks great, cam lobes, pushrods, etc. No other damage is apparent, glad I caught it right away at least.
    That's the problem w rollers. They look so good on the outside but it's where you can't see is the problem.
    I used my same rollers when I built mine but I knew they only had 36K on them.
    I also had a slight tick on one of mine but I used the method I described above and it cleared up.
    Must have been a speck of dirt or debis where it shouldn't of been.

Status

Just turn the radio up ! ��

Status
    Blog Entries

I've ran into a lot of problems with the new hyd. lifters, i've changed oil to 5-30 or 5-20 and problem solved..not only in chry.. but others.. Just my experience.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    Just turn the radio up ! ��
    LOL my exhaust note is too loud to even hear the radio

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    I've ran into a lot of problems with the new hyd. lifters, i've changed oil to 5-30 or 5-20 and problem solved..not only in chry.. but others.. Just my experience.
    Good to know, thanks for chiming in!

Here's the suspect lifter removed and disassembled

Here is a shot of the sealed power lifters I already received from RockAuto! Damn they got here fast!

The sealed power ones are visually different, and have pressed in roller pins.

LOL my exhaust note is too loud to even hear the radio

Good to know, thanks for chiming in!

Here's the suspect lifter removed and disassembled

Here is a shot of the sealed power lifters I already received from RockAuto! Damn they got here fast!

The sealed power ones are visually different, and have pressed in roller pins.
    J, please don't take the as shade on your choice of lifters but I have a bias on these things from having studied such crap as rollers from 5 yrs ago when I knew nothing about Mopar shit and electronic engines.
    My preference leans toward those lifters that have the c -clip retainers on the ends from what I call the "paper clip" retainers on most lifters.
    Not too many ppl make after market crap for mopars and I don't know if Isky makes anything for us but I do like their "EZ rollers".
    No needles and c-clip retaining however I think they're mostly for Chevy crap and I don't know if they'd fit ours.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    J, please don't take the as shade on your choice of lifters but I have a bias on these things from having studied such crap as rollers from 5 yrs ago when I knew nothing about Mopar shit and electronic engines.
    My preference leans toward those lifters that have the c -clip retainers on the ends from what I call the "paper clip" retainers on most lifters.
    Not too many ppl make after market crap for mopars and I don't know if Isky makes anything for us but I do like their "EZ rollers".
    No needles and c-clip retaining however I think they're mostly for Chevy crap and I don't know if they'd fit ours.
    No shade taken, when I went to search lifters they were pretty much the only one's I could find in stock and fast. Would you mind elaborating more on your findings, anything relating specifically to these SP brand lifters? Reviews on Summit actually weren't too bad on these, but Rock Auto beat them on price. I'm still going to run them and see how they work, but when it comes to quality control I agree there is much to be desired in today's aftermarket. Also FWIW these sealed power units are made in China.

Status

Well this sucks...got all new lifters installed and it's as if I didn't do anything. The tick might even be louder now

Strangely it sounds worse from the 2-8 cylinder bank. I used 1/2 turn from lash for preload. Wondering if my valve spring pressures are just overloading the OE lifters??? Help...

Status
    Blog Entries

What weight oil is in motor ?? I fought this situation prior.. Not sure if you know this but there's only 2-3 manufactures in the USA.if that anymore some buy there lifters from china. claim USA on the box. [ Like I said in previous reply .. 5-20 or 5-30 oil solves it every time I ran into this problem.] Change oil to this weight and you'll have an R/T smile..

Well this sucks...got all new lifters installed and it's as if I didn't do anything. The tick might even be louder now

Strangely it sounds worse from the 2-8 cylinder bank. I used 1/2 turn from lash for preload. Wondering if my valve spring pressures are just overloading the OE lifters??? Help...
    Awe crap. I HATE when shit happens when you try to fix other shit.
    This is old school crap but I NEVER put any new lifter in an engine that I didn't soak in an oil bath for a day or two or three (or longer when i forgot I was soaking lifters)
    There could be a lot of residual stuff within the lifter innards the 7 yr old china boys forgot to blow out during the manufacturing process.
    I know there has been some talk about using Chevy lifters in Mopar stuff.
    If you get to the point of throwing in the towel on these, then call Isky and see if their EZ rollers would be applicable to a Mopar small block
    I did not study SP lifters exclusively only to say it was a "typically made " lifter w the paper clip retainers.

Maybe try another 1/4 turn of preload?

Did you check the shield on the bell housing (behind the starter)? Someone's awhile back was making a bad ticking sound and they could find it, when they went to change the oil, they found that shield loose.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Maybe check that your torque converter bolts are tight. I had a ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine. I yanked the front of the engine apart, and found nothing wrong. Turns out it was the torque converter bolts backing out and hitting the block.

Edit: I just remembered that you are running a manual transmission, but it might be worth a look to be sure no bolts have come loose.

Got to be something we are missing, does it stop ticking at 1000rpm?

Status
    Blog Entries

IS EVERYBODY A RETARD ?? THE THINNER OIL WILL CURE THIS ISSUE.. 5-20- . CHANGE OIL AND FILT. PROBLEM SOLVED..
    THE VALVING IN LIFTERS HAS BEEN CHANGED........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast