+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hemi swap kit

Status

Default Hemi swap kit

Hey guys looking for input and prices for a hemi swap kit like everything needed to drop a 5.7-6.1-6.4 into 2000 cc what year engine truck or car and what trans saw some info blkdak was posting but seems like everything is all over the place including me. Need a straight forward plans I can start gathering

Status

Holley has basically everything you need electrically. (Term x with harness)
    I would purchase the motor mounts and all from HoPoTek.
    @98Dak408

Status

Whats your end goal of the hemi swap? 6.4 bge (2500/3500 truck motor) would be ideal.

Status

400-500hp with minimal engine work seams like the 5.9 needs a lot of money thrown at to get to a starting point of a hemi and I want to be able to go out on the weekend with the wife and a/c on and not get beat up on by everything on the road

Status

so a basic 6.1 with a cam, and all would be fine.
    im guessing you want it efi?
    $1700 for dbw harness and ecm
    ~$240 for engine mounts
    ~$300 for fuel pump
    them the motor and trans (plus ~$1,000 for cam and lifters, and maybe cam lock)

Theres a lot of power to be found in the the gen iii hemis. budget plays a large part. plus if you want auto or stick. (46re will bolt up to the hemis. as well any sbm trans)

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    so a basic 6.1 with a cam, and all would be fine.
    im guessing you want it efi?
    $1700 for dbw harness and ecm
    ~$240 for engine mounts
    ~$300 for fuel pump
    them the motor and trans (plus ~$1,000 for cam and lifters, and maybe cam lock)

Theres a lot of power to be found in the the gen iii hemis. budget plays a large part. plus if you want auto or stick. (46re will bolt up to the hemis. as well any sbm trans)
    I would think one of the benefits of the Hemi is to ditch the 46RE. How does the Hemi ECM work with the Dakota's instruments and the trucks electronics?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    I would think one of the benefits of the Hemi is to ditch the 46RE. How does the Hemi ECM work with the Dakota's instruments and the trucks electronics?
    Ideally you would. but it depends on budget too. i dont think any ecm will communicate with the dakokats electronics.

Status

Not sure what bge is would like to use the 8sp auto but what do I look for a car or truck engine and trans and with the 6.4 what intake will work also do you have to use the Holley exam or can factory exam be wired in

Status

Quote Originally Posted by pat d View Post
    Not sure what bge is would like to use the 8sp auto but what do I look for a car or truck engine and trans and with the 6.4 what intake will work also do you have to use the Holley exam or can factory exam be wired in
    Add $1000 for standalone controller for the 8 speed. See Sound German Automotive. BGE = Big Gas Engine. 392 truck block.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Status

Thanks eviler, why does this feels like a major mission ??? why can’t we use the engine/trans computer from donor vehicles? I’m getting all excited then let down wow what a dumb ass I was pushing a button for the stupid emoji and nothing was happening until I looked again

Status

Evilrt sorry dang spellcheck

Status

Oh if you're getting a whole donor vehicle then yes, You can use all of its wiring, ecms, and trans. You would leave the dakotas bcm to control the non powertrain.
    i assumed you were getting a bare junkyard motor.

Status

Yes neibs was thinking of hunk yard motor but also the computer and harness all together

Status

If you are lucky enough to find the harnesses and controller you can make it work. If pulling from a yard grab the shifter and gas pedal also.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Status

Quote Originally Posted by pat d View Post
    Yes neibs was thinking of hunk yard motor but also the computer and harness all together
    Thatll be a good way to go them. Ideally grab the Motor, trans, harness, ecm, pedals, shifter from the same vehicle. Also remember to grab the VIN of said vehicle. may need it to program the ecm.

Status

I have the motor mounts, trans crossmember, and 46RE adapter bracket if you need them. Still brand new in the box. I got cold feet and built my 408.
    01’ Club Cab, 2/4 drop, stockish drivetrain

Not to be negative, there is a cool factor to having Hemi, I really think it depend on the power lever. Anything under ~425hp, you can build a steerable 408 a lot cheaper and a lot easier than dropping In a Hemi. Now back on topic, if you go to Youtube, Holley has a video that shows everything you need to convert your Dakota over to a Hemi. They also have the conversion parts on their website.

Status

Hey guys just got off ph with Holley not fun they are all over the place and everything is bits and pieces which is good if you know what you are doing and bad if you don’t (me) don’t have 5k for installation kit + engine and trans time for mor research,maybe I might try to work on the 340 stroker I have

Status

5k for "installation kit"? Wth does that consist of? have you checked out their dakota swap page?
    https://www.holley.com/products/engi...ap_componnets/

5k should get you a whole donor car.

Status

Ok so I do over shoot that but I’m still coming up with 3500+ power steering pump and fittings and and a/c lines so maybe 4K plus engine which I’m seeing about 2500-3500 for a used enginethat I would probably have to refresh I’m not so excited anymore

+ Reply to Thread