+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need trans help

Default Need trans help

Hello,

Under light throttle my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts seem really early (1200 rpm). Under med throttle rpms move up to 1500 rpm. Under WOT throttle it shifts at 3500-3700 rpm. If I adjust the TV cable toward the firewall the shift points will stay about the same at light and medium throttle, at WOT the 1-2 shift is at 4500-4700, but then at ~4700 in 2nd gear it will downshift into 1st and the hit rev limiter. I thought maybe it was the VB, so I put a MSaine VB in it and it does the same thing, but shifts harder. I adjusted both bands, changed the Governor solenoid, Governor pressure sensor, Heavy duty band strut, checked the front band servo piston and accumulator piston. It's acting like I have the TV cable to tight, but if I adjust it toward the front of the truck, the best WOT shift points I can get 3500-3700 (that won't cause a downshift back into 1st gear at WOT). I have checked the cable movement under truck, with someone working throttle and me watching the TV lever and it's moving freely. At WOT, the TV lever on the trans has about 1/4" of travel left when I push it in. I looked at the attached link and brackets, spring, TV lever and shift lever look good. I don't think it in the VB because I just installed MSaine VB in and it's still doing it. Any ideas?

https://www.pirate4x4.com/attachment...d7-gif.479545/
    Last edited by musky mike; 08-21-2021 at 01:52 PM.

I killed Goose

Status

You have a 1/4" of movement left to go at the lever on the transmission?

If I remember correctly when I did mine, following Martin's instructions below the throttle valve lever on the transmission was completely open after adjusting the cable this way. Maybe your cable is stretched and worn out

TV Cable Adjustment:
    "Remove plastic clip at throttle body end of cable.
    Have assistant hold accelerator pedal to the floor, and keep it there until adjustment is complete.
    With accelerator pedal floored, pull the black TV cable sheath towards the firewall until the metal wire is tight against the throttle lever on the throttle body, slowly let the cable sheath come forward about 1/8” and re-insert the retaining clip.
    Have assistant release the throttle, then floor it again and hold. Check up and down movement of the wire going to the throttle lever (like a bicycle chain), there should be approx ¼” up and down movement of the wire with the throttle wide open."

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post

If I remember correctly when I did mine, following Martin's instructions below the throttle valve lever on the transmission was completely open after adjusting the cable this way. Maybe your cable is stretched and worn out

TV Cable Adjustment:
    Have assistant hold accelerator pedal to the floor, and keep it there until adjustment is complete.
    With accelerator pedal floored, pull the black TV cable sheath towards the firewall until the metal wire is tight against the throttle lever on the throttle body, slowly let the cable sheath come forward about 1/8” and re-insert the retaining clip.
    Have assistant release the throttle, then floor it again and hold. Check up and down movement of the wire going to the throttle lever (like a bicycle chain), there should be approx ¼” up and down movement of the wire with the throttle wide open."
    That's how I did it and after the adjustment I went under the truck, had someone push the throttle to WOT and if I push on the TV lever, it moves about another 1/4" before it stops. But then it still only shifts at 4500-4700 at WOT and when it get to 4700 on second it shifts back into 1st or it starts slipping, not sure because it just goes to 5700 at the rev limiter.

Status

Not sure a 1/4 in up and down play in the cable equates to the 1/4 inch play at the lever. I've always set the TV cable approximately 1/8'' past the tab on the linkage. Wish I could be more help, transmissions have always been voodoo black magic to me. I know I've tried 1/4" past the tab got funky shifts. Had some weird shit happening with cocked and locked TPS sensor on MP 4bbl TB. My TPS signal at the ECU was only reading from 25% at idle and only went to 70% at WOT. Three different sensors and the same thing. Switched over to a Accel three barrel using a different brand TPS and it's much happier. 15% at idle and 85% at WOT.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Quote Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
    Not sure a 1/4 in up and down play in the cable equates to the 1/4 inch play at the lever. I've always set the TV cable approximately 1/8'' past the tab on the linkage. Wish I could be more help, transmissions have always been voodoo black magic to me. I know I've tried 1/4" past the tab got funky shifts. Had some weird shit happening with cocked and locked TPS sensor on MP 4bbl TB. My TPS signal at the ECU was only reading from 25% at idle and only went to 70% at WOT. Three different sensors and the same thing. Switched over to a Accel three barrel using a different brand TPS and it's much happier. 15% at idle and 85% at WOT.
    The after adjustment, at WOT if I go under the truck and move the lever all the way, it moves about 1/4" before it stops. Did the TPS cause shifting issues?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post

TV Cable Adjustment:
    My buddy got this Dakota project with trans issues the previous owner failed to fix. Need to finish installing the winch and skid plates from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler before we can clear the garage and take the truck in. We'll definitely try that instruction.

thanks to the guys on this site.....i didn't even have a TV attachment! the PO put the tv cable on the shifter link!
    whenever i floored it it just went to 3000 rpms and thats it...delt with it for over a year until one of the guys here noticed in my pics that i was missing the whole bracket!

+ Reply to Thread