+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine is bogging

Status

Default Engine is bogging

Help!!!! So I'm coming off the highway, and I've lost power and is making a bogging sound if I step on the gas! Any ideas would much be appreciated. My OBII is not pulling any codes.

Status

Bogging sound?
    Can you take a video of it.
    I had an bogging/pop back issue and found my exhaust was leaking and caused the o2 to see fresh air.

I killed Goose

Status

Low fuel pressure or a faulty throttle position sensor can cause that issue.
    Neither will trip a code.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Status

Thanks for the reply, I never had any exhaust issues! It starts just fine but I'm at a crawl with it. As so as you try to Give it trottle it just bogs down, and I'm leaning towards throttle position sensor, I might have my original lying around to try that first! I'm guessing it is a tired fuel pump or dirty filter!

Would be easy to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel port on the rail and check the pressure. It make sense, open the throttle blades and all that air is going in and no gas, so push the pedal down more, a lot of air, but not enough gas. Engine bogs...
    Last edited by musky mike; 06-19-2021 at 06:45 PM.

I killed Goose

Status

You can probe the middle wire of the TPS to check voltage. At idle with blades closed it should be around .7 volts and ramp up smoothly to almost 5 volts as you go to wide open throttle. This can be done without the engine running; just the key in the run position. Easy to check.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post
    You can probe the middle wire of the TPS to check voltage. At idle with blades closed it should be around .7 volts and ramp up smoothly to almost 5 volts as you go to wide open throttle. This can be done without the engine running; just the key in the run position. Easy to check.
    Could also use a cheap Bluetooth OBD scanner and Torque app. Can Read TPS % of throttle.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Elvbo View Post
    Help!!!! So I'm coming off the highway, and I've lost power and is making a bogging sound if I step on the gas! Any ideas would much be appreciated. My OBII is not pulling any codes.
    Any resolution to your problem? I was also thinking clogged cat. The honey comb material could be braking up, clogging the exit.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Well finally it turns out to be a clogged catalytic! What a ritual! Now the next challenge is the fact this 1999 Dakota RT is a Canadian built truck! So the catalytic is a dual inlet single outlet! So I will be going to Summer to get a Universal dual inlet / single outlet! I know I could go hog wild and do headers and all that! But I'm on a budget this year, sound the belltech lowering set up, tranny rebuild, new LSD diff. Alot of summer left! And I want to enjoy this truck before the crappy Minnesota winter that sucks six months out of your life! Plus gotta put a new air conditioning compressor yet so I can enjoy AC! But my plans are still in motion to do a hellcat swap! Since Holly performance has a complete install for these twenty year old trucks! Let's hope the RPM act gets in place! Or our whole future of modding will be out the door for good!

I killed Goose

Status

Gut that sucker and put it back on.
    But you guys probably have serious vehicle inspections up there?

Status

Fortunately we do not have that illegal and corrupt emissions testing yet! They tried twenty five years ago! And we were fortunate to have Governor Ventura shut it down, because the state was skimming money off the new cars at the time. But there trying to establish it again! Like cockroaches that come back! So sad in America!

I killed Goose

Status

Gut the cat and do this trick. I've been running like that for years without tripping a O2 sensor code.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...topics/3228834

Status

Thanks BigRob, what my trick that I've used in the past! Was unscrew the rear 02 and zip tie to the frame and put a bing plug in its place! Works well no issues! Luckily so far No stupid emissions testing here in Minnesota.

+ Reply to Thread