+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New 408.......no bottom end

Status
    Blog Entries

Snap on scanners read sync backwards, where if it's plus 5 it's actually minus 5 . Set sync to 0 .
    In my opinion the Keith Black pistons are trash. Always use forged. With that cam your compression is low. You need 10.5 to 1 . Your tune is an issue, plus check gearing. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    Snap on scanners read sync backwards, where if it's plus 5 it's actually minus 5 . Set sync to 0 .
    In my opinion the Keith Black pistons are trash. Always use forged. With that cam your compression is low. You need 10.5 to 1 . Your tune is an issue, plus check gearing. Good luck.
    I appreciate the reply.

Never heard that about the snap on scanners. Seems odd that it would read backwards. I will try to get it to 0. I imagine that clockwise would advance and counter clockwise would retard?

I didn't know Keith Black pistons were bad. I had read that had the highest amount of silicon in their alloy content which made them one of the better hypereutecnics available.

Also as far as compression goes, it seems my research told me to keep my dynamic ration at less than 8.0:1 for pump gas. I am right there with my static compression and my current cam.

Perhaps this is archaic literature and I read too much! It does seem that many people are running well over 10.5:1 on magnum motors with pump gas without problems. I believe too that most people are making a general guess at their compression when they say what it is. Piston dish, Cylinder head CC, head gasket thickness, piston to deck, gasket bore, top ring land depth......short of taking every single one of these measurements I think a lot of people could be off from what they think.

I have heard of one 408 from PIE that has some pinging at 10.5:1 with aluminum Edelbrock heads but that could be the fuel or timing of course.

Had to purchase a computer and have HP Tuners coming next week so I will begin the journey of learning to tune.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasfouraker View Post
    I appreciate the reply.

Never heard that about the snap on scanners. Seems odd that it would read backwards. I will try to get it to 0. I imagine that clockwise would advance and counter clockwise would retard?

I didn't know Keith Black pistons were bad. I had read that had the highest amount of silicon in their alloy content which made them one of the better hypereutecnics available.

Also as far as compression goes, it seems my research told me to keep my dynamic ration at less than 8.0:1 for pump gas. I am right there with my static compression and my current cam.

Perhaps this is archaic literature and I read too much! It does seem that many people are running well over 10.5:1 on magnum motors with pump gas without problems. I believe too that most people are making a general guess at their compression when they say what it is. Piston dish, Cylinder head CC, head gasket thickness, piston to deck, gasket bore, top ring land depth......short of taking every single one of these measurements I think a lot of people could be off from what they think.

I have heard of one 408 from PIE that has some pinging at 10.5:1 with aluminum Edelbrock heads but that could be the fuel or timing of course.

Had to purchase a computer and have HP Tuners coming next week so I will begin the journey of learning to tune.
    There is a lot that goes into how much compression ratio you can run with pump gas, it's not just compression:

- Piston top design
    - Head chamber
    - Head material
    - Type of fuel injection
    - Quench area
    - Cam timing (intake lobe split, open/close events)
    - ECU software/programing, spark advance, timing
    - Rod ratio/dwell time (how long the piston is at top dead center)

Not all these things contribute equally, some have a greater effect than others. Our 5.9s generally with Edelbrock heads and stock pistons can run 10 to 10.5 with about any cam on pump gas. If you want to go higher that on pump gas, you should start talking to the cam manufacture to make sure your intake lobes will bleed off enough compression so you don't have problems.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    There is a lot that goes into how much compression ratio you can run with pump gas, it's not just compression:

- Piston top design
    - Head chamber
    - Head material
    - Type of fuel injection
    - Quench area

Not all these things contribute equally, some have a greater effect than others. Our 5.9s generally with Edelbrock heads and stock pistons can run 10 to 10.5 with about any cam on pump gas. If you want to go higher that on pump gas, you should start talking to the cam manufacture to make sure your intake lobes will bleed off enough compression so you don't have problems.
    ^^this x2
    Flame propagation has a lot to do with what 'compression' you can run.

Status

But seriously. Tune it first.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    ^^this x2
    Flame propagation has a lot to do with what 'compression' you can run.
    That would be the first three on the list and quench. +1 on tune it first.

Status

And how is your buddy, or you going to "tune" this thing?
    Asking for a friend of a friend,

EDIT:
    - Piston top design
    - Head chamber
    - Head material
    - Type of fuel injection
    - Quench area

DAFUQ.....LOL
    Just tune the fucking thing.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    And how is your buddy, or you going to "tune" this thing?
    Asking for a friend of a friend,

EDIT:
    - Piston top design
    - Head chamber
    - Head material
    - Type of fuel injection
    - Quench area

DAFUQ.....LOL
    Just tune the fucking thing.
    HPTuners MPVI2 interfaced with AEM wideband through serial output to the software.
    We are going to get the fuel tables friendly over a few days. He has a draggy which will help gather performance data in relation to adjustments made. Then when we have it close I will rent a local dyno $100/hr to dial it in. Lots of information out there on how to tune. He has a considerable amount of experience tuning, just not in a jtec platform.

Wanted to give an update on where I am at.

Definitely found the power with some basic tuning corrections. Without going into boring detail I was flooding my cylinders at lower vacuum and getting lean on the top end. I don't know the exact reasoning why a larger displacement engine would be rich at idle on the factory tune but I suspect it is the larger valves and bigger cam.....
    Just by pulling fuel on the lower end and adding some on the high end its a completely different motor. I think I have about 5% of HPtuners potential tapped into and can say my expectations of this motor are already exceeded. A week ago I was worried I messed the motor assembly up or hurt the motor somehow and now I don't think I will need to put any boost to satisfy my goals for the truck.

The more I drive and data log the better I will dial in the tune. I am just now starting to mess with a little bit of timing and transmission shift points. Wish I would have had this from the start because I was flooding my cylinders for a while and could have really hurt the motor if I didn't address it. Now idles, runs and performs extremely well.

Need to put a catch can on to keep oil vapor out of the manifold. Also have seen that my injector duty cycle is going too high at about 4400 RPM so I suspect I will need injectors or a fuel pump upgrade, maybe both in the near future if I want to get the most out of the motor. Once I do all that and can get the tune dialed in I hope to make it to a dyno to get some numbers.

Glad to hear it running better. I think the recommended duty cycle is 85% max, if above that you need bigger injectors. There are some formulas on the web to right size the injectors. I'm sure some 408 guys on here could chime in too.

I guess hitting 110% isn't good then!

My friend told me the only way to know you need bigger injectors is to first rule out the fuel pump. The injector will up its duty cycle to meet the demand if fuel pressure drops off so just by going with a bigger injector you'll still have the same starvation problem. So a fuel pressure gauge holding steady and injector duty cycle going up is the definitive way to know its the injectors that providing the limitation.

Anything 46-50 should be fine and you need new injectors. You can increase fuel pressure to over come the lower flow injectors, but it take a lot PSI to increase the flow...not just 10-20 PSI at the rail. I ran number at 375 Hp it called for 27lbs injectors at 50psi. You can play with fuel PSI and see how it affects the injector flow rate, in the end your better off the right sizing the injectors (and fuel pump if needed for volume, not PSI).

https://www.maperformance.com/pages/...tor-calculator

It was suggested to me by a local tuner that 42lb Fords should be good as they should net actually higher on the Dodge higher PSI fuel system. He said they would also cover me under moderate boost conditions should I go that route, and anything higher than 8lbs I might have to look at going with some 60s.

I think with this upgrade I may opt to do some Hipotek rails and upgrade the in tank pump to something with more volume.

At what point do you need to look at going from a dead head fuel system to a return style?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2