+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a way to check for a break in this wire circuit for the trans temp sensor?

Status

Default Is there a way to check for a break in this wire circuit for the trans temp sensor?

Before I take it back to the shop is there a way I can check this circuit with a voltmeter to see if maybe there is a break in it? A few weeks ago the trans temp and OD off light came on while driving but quickly went off. I was able to pull the pending code with my cheap Autel Harbor Freight scanner. It was a P0711. I have had this code before on and off over the 5 years I've had the truck. All the solenoids and sensors have recently replaced, tcc solenoid being the most recent. I replaced a couple of them a few times when shops told me that was the problem. When the OD off light and trans temp light are not on the transmission shifts great. I believe it's an electrical issue and not a mechanical issue. I posted awhile back about finding this 6amp inline fuse on the violet trans temp wire coming off the center PCM connector. Now the lights are on permanently even after having the battery disconnected for a week or two while doing some detailing underhood. I'm waiting on my scanner that I ordered to be able to retrieve the code since now my cheap Autel scanner won't read the code since it's a transmission code but somehow picked it up when it was a pending code. I'm assuming it's going to be the P0711 again. Can I unplug the PCM connector in the center with the battery hooked up and check for continuity without messing anything else up? Would I have the key on engine off? Factory manual says to check for continuity of all the switches and solenoids whenever the overdrive is not working. However, they don't go into detail. I want to know is it going to be safe to the PCM to disconnect the center connector to check it while there's power going to it?

IMG_3834.jpg

Status

For continuity/ohms tests. You'll want the circuit your testing to be disconnecting and not powered up.

Status

Yeah that's what I finally found reading the factory service manual. Just wanted to be sure. Would I probe the violet wire connector on the PCM end and then have to trace down to the transmission plug and probe the other end? I don't even know if that's possible. I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky and have a bad temp sensor. Trying to do everything I can before dropping the pan. I think I've replaced this 3 times but never at the time been able to pay for the original Mopar sensor. If I do it this time I will make sure it's a new Mopar temp sensor.

Status

Yes you can prob one end of the wire to the other. However, continuity/ohm tests can be deceiving. It only needs one strand of wire for it to test good. It is good to check for short, opens, and heavy corrosion tho. Sounds like it may be a short issue. I would Prob each end and have the meter somewhere you can see the display and do a shake test on the harness.

Status

I don't even think I need to now. I got the no name brand scanner I ordered off ebay and it fortunately had the Trans Temp data as well as Trans Temp voltage so I could view it. Isn't useful for much else on my 1999, doesn't even read SRS, ABS, or even decode the VIN. Anyway I didn't even start up the truck, just turned the key with the scanner hooked up, watched the live data of the trans temp and just by touching the wire it jumped from 68F to 302F, and I heard the horrible sound of the ding of the Trans Temp and OD Off light on the dash. Touched it again and it went off. Also it hadn't been driven all day either. Looks like it might have been the trouble the whole time I've had this truck. I need to throw out the inline fuse and solder the wires back together. Hope that's the end of the intermittent Trans Temp and OD Off lights.

+ Reply to Thread