+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help identifying suspension drop

Default Help identifying suspension drop

I need some help identifying what suspension drop I have. I want to replace the shocks because the truck rides beyond stiff. I know I need to tailor the new shock length to what drop I have, I just don't know what drop I have because the drop kit was on the truck when I bought it and I can't read anything on the shocks. The front tires are 275/50R17 and the wheel well is 30.5 from the ground and the rear tire is 275/55R17 and the wheel well is 32" from the ground. Under the rear axle there is 4 pieces of metal for a total of 1" thickness. I've attached some pictures. Also, what shocks would you recommend?

Back 32.jpgimage (1).jpgFront 30.5.jpgHello,
    Attachment 16011 Attachment 16008Attachment 16009Attachment 16010
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by musky mike; 03-23-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Status

Do you have pics of the front coils and rear shackles? Those rear shims looks like cut up leafs.
    Did you try measuring the shocks? Jack up under the control arm, remove wheel. measure shock. Place jack stand under frame, drop the jack and let the suspension completely hang and measure again. This should be close enough to find a shock.

Status

Tho it doesnt really look very low. I had 3/5 and you could barely fit your finger between the tires and wheel wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Tho it doesnt really look very low. I had 3/5 and you could barely fit your finger between the tires and wheel wheels.
    I was wondering if they just lowered the back (1") by putting those pieces of metal in there. I don't know what a stock ride height would look like with the tires I have and a 1" drop in the back. If is just a 1" drop in the back, would stock shocks front and rear be fine to use?

Pictures added.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    I was wondering if they just lowered the back (1") by putting those pieces of metal in there. I don't know what a stock ride height would look like with the tires I have and a 1" drop in the back. If is just a 1" drop in the back, would stock shocks front and rear be fine to use?
    Kinda what it looks like. How much shaft is still showing on the rear shocks.
    Think of the movement the rear of the truck goes up and down. You just dont want the shocks bottoming out or extending out fully.

Status

Rear shackles and leafs look factory.
    That sway bar looks really close to the frame tho. Maybe the cut a coil out of the front springs. Thatll make it a stiff ride.

Kinda what it looks like. How much shaft is still showing on the rear shocks.
    Think of the movement the rear of the truck goes up and down. You just dont want the shocks bottoming out or extending out fully.
    Well, the suspension is so stiff, I don't think the shocks move at all. LOL

Status

Well my truck is all apart and on the chassis jig. But im sure someone here can help with factory heights.

Well my truck is all apart and on the chassis jig. But im sure someone here can help with factory heights.
    If I could get a a measurement from a suspension component to the anther component, that would help.

Rear shackles and leafs look factory.
    That sway bar looks really close to the frame tho. Maybe the cut a coil out of the front springs. Thatll make it a stiff ride.
    The front and rear sway bars have grease fittings for the bushing where they mount to the frame, was that factory?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

The front springs have been altered or replaced. The coils are too close together, maybe heated or V6 springs or...
    The bump stops have been removed and the pads will contact each other if the spring doesn't coil bind first.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Last night I jacked up the truck and cleaned the suspension components. Here is what I found starting at the front. The sway bar and shocks are Hothkis and the coil springs are grey. On the rear, the sway bar and shocks are Hotchkis and on the front of the leaf springs there is a stick on label that says "front". I found some pictures online and on Hotchkis lowering kits their leaf springs had those pieces of individual spacers (not a one piece block). So at this point, I believe I have Hotchkis lowering kit. All of the aftermarket parts the previous owner has added have been top shelf, form, fit and function parts, so this would fall inline with the other parts that are on the truck. I'm guessing it's a 2/3 drop (R/T would be 1/2 drop). So knowing this, would taking the shocks off and measuring the length, would going to a softer shock even help the ride quality with the Hotchkis springs?
    Last edited by musky mike; 03-24-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Status

What shocks are on there now? Hear Belltech street performance shocks are a good match and softer ride. I got QA's on the rear and the original Hotchkis Bilsteins on the front. Replacing with the Beltech and eventually sending all 4 of the original Hotchkis shocks will go back to Bilstein to get rebuilt.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Quote Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
    What shocks are on there now? Hear Belltech street performance shocks are a good match and softer ride. I got QA's on the rear and the original Hotchkis Bilsteins on the front. Replacing with the Beltech and eventually sending all 4 of the original Hotchkis shocks will go back to Bilstein to get rebuilt.
    They say Hotchkis on them. What should I replace them with for a softer ride?

Status

Literally been 20 years since I drove with new Hotchkis Bilsteins, Remember them being stiff, but not harsh. Current truck they has 120k on them. Was just suggesting a softer ride
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

Status
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

What shock would you recomd or a softer ride?

the hotchkis springs are very stiff. I'm no sure how much difference shocks would make. the kit on my truck is very low mileage.
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

Quote Originally Posted by wedged View Post
    the hotchkis springs are very stiff. I'm no sure how much difference shocks would make. the kit on my truck is very low mileage.
    Not sure how long the kit has been on the truck, but the truck only has 50K miles on it, so less than 50K. Tires are 275/50 in the front and 275/55 in the rear, so not super low profile. I really like the stance, guess I'll just live with it.

+ Reply to Thread