+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any idea why someone would add this fuse for the transmission temp sensor?

Status

Default Any idea why someone would add this fuse for the transmission temp sensor?

Ever since I've had my 99 R/T I've had this ongoing problem with a P0711. When I first got the truck I had to change dipstick tube, governor pressure sensor, oil temperature sensor, and filter. Over the past 5 years after that I've had to take it into the shop trying to figure out the intermittent dancing of the Trans Temp/OD/OFF light during the initial startup of the truck. Most of the time it would do that and never come on while driving. Sometimes it would actually come on while driving but went away. The shop I went to said they could mess with the trans temp sensor plug and watch the scanner to see the temp number fluctuate. They said the wiring in the TCC solenoid harness was brittle. So I had that changed out. The transmission feels fine and strong when driving it. No other issues other than the annoying light and hard to seal transmission pan. This week I was doing some spray bomb black paint stripping on the firewall and removed some items to get better access. I noticed this fuse connected to the second PCM plug. I looked up what wire it is in a fsm and it is indeed the violet wire for the transmission temperature sensor signal. However, I couldn't think of any reason why a fuse would be added. Any idea why someone would add that? I know the transmission has been changed to an 01 but no idea of the engine harness has been changed.

IMG_3834.jpg

Status

It's been a long time ago,but I believe if the transmission has a shift kit installed then a resistor needs to be installed on the purple wire not a fuse.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Any R/T's View Post
    It's been a long time ago,but I believe if the transmission has a shift kit installed then a resistor needs to be installed on the purple wire not a fuse.
    That is/was the case with the Transgo kits. The resistor tricked the computer to keep it out of limp mode with the increase in line pressure from the kit.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

This is a regular 6 amp glass fuse. Is that right? Should I have it taken out and the wire soldered back? The guy I bought the truck from about 5 years ago said the transmission was changed. I looked it up and it's from an 01 Van. Number above the pan rail is 52119755AA. I don't know if there was a shift kit installed in that one or the original one. Is there anyway to tell? It shifts and drives fine. When you first start it up and the dash bulb checks are going on the Trans Temp and OD Off light go back and forth longer than anything else. They usually go off and stay off but it's come on before driving but not since I had the TCC solenoid swapped out, just the back and forth lights upon startup.

Status

How about if you just connect a jumper back in to it just to text it out ? Bypass the fuse

Status

I was going to ask the shop I usually take it to. They've worked on the electronics in the transmission and have seen it there before but didn't say anything. Most of the time they were just working underneath. I had the pressure sensor and tcc solenoid replaced as well as a couple seals. I'd like to swap out the whole transmission back to the correct for 99 transmission. I hate that square style nss but I don't want to buy another transmission if this one is just fine especially if the same thing will happen on another transmission.

+ Reply to Thread