+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Instruments panel lights

Status

Default Instruments panel lights

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've got a strange problem with the lights on my instrument panel. 99 Dakota R/T, the instrument lights went out the other day. I do the regular check- fuses, loose wires etc... I find the 5 amp fuse on the side panel blown. Replace it only to blow it a couple of seconds later. Replace the switch and fuse and turn lights on, hear a faint pop. No lights!! Fuse still good! No power to fuse. ? Put original switch back in and it starts to smoke when lights are turned on. ? Fuse still good and fuse has power. Replace headlight switch with another (3rd) switch. Turn lights on hear faint pop, fuse good but no power to fuse. Has anyone else had issues like this? I'm at a standstill with this one. I don't really want to get in to the parts swapping mode with this, but I don't know where to go from here.

it sounds like you have a short somewhere... it might be a good idea to pull the cluster and check the board as well as the wiring to the cluster
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

+ Reply to Thread