+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12 second or lower breakage

Default 12 second or lower breakage

For those of you who ventured into these timing brackets and still had what you'd call "a daily driver", what was some of the first things that "broke"?
    From perusal of this site's archives, the trannies in these things seem weak but I read of one guy doing 11's on the stock tranny.
    Other things may include drive train connections, engine mounts and whatever.
    Just trying to get a handle on things and ducks in order before I venture to the track with a 150 shot of nitrous on a top end built/stock bottom end engine and 10" slicks.

Whatever the engine breakage does is of no consequence because it is what it is. All I've done there was to file ring gap and know to get a tune for nitrous.
    Anything else that lets go in this regard is the luck of the draw.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

I ran mid 11’s with stock trans
    Martian Saine valve body and converter

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    I ran mid 11’s with stock trans
    Martian Saine valve body and converter
    Just looked this up. Seems to cure many woes of this tranny..
    Last edited by arro222; 01-28-2021 at 01:34 AM.

Status

I would get a pair of driveshaft loops to be safe. They can be cheap or can be made for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    I would get a pair of driveshaft loops to be safe. They can be cheap or can be made for cheap.
    Absolutely correct neibs and already fabricated.

Accumulating parts...

Status

After boost the trans was the first thing to go (at the track). Had probably 60-80 passes. Next up was bent pushrods after ~150 passes. This was mostly my fault pushing the truck too high of RPM’s on stock heads/cam/and all valve train minus 1.7rr’s. 4.56’s didn’t help. I knew I was at their limit but was trying to break into 11’s with that top end.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

At first, I was concerned about breakage. My closest track is 110 miles from me and I did and still do drive it to the track. I just figured if I broke, I would get somebody to tow me to the highway near the track and call AAA! LOL Never have had a problem though. Not that I have done a bunch of racing compared with most of these guys.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    At first, I was concerned about breakage. My closest track is 110 miles from me and I did and still do drive it to the track. I just figured if I broke, I would get somebody to tow me to the highway near the track and call AAA! LOL Never have had a problem though. Not that I have done a bunch of racing compared with most of these guys.
    Exactly. I'm 140 miles away and I think my AAA goes out to a hundred. Hopefully I as well won't meet up with Mr. Murphy.
    Should at least get Mr Seine's valve body I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    After boost the trans was the first thing to go (at the track). Had probably 60-80 passes. Next up was bent pushrods after ~150 passes. This was mostly my fault pushing the truck too high of RPM’s on stock heads/cam/and all valve train minus 1.7rr’s. 4.56’s didn’t help. I knew I was at their limit but was trying to break into 11’s with that top end.

The good thing is that it didn't blow apart on your first day.
    I have 1.65's rr's and the 3.92's still, so I'm not figuring much past 5800 rpms.

yea...i really feel it fall out after 4500rpms. I wish i could swap out a cam! im such a baby and scared to try! wish i had some guidance here in Georgia!

Quote Originally Posted by robroy82 View Post
    yea...i really feel it fall out after 4500rpms. I wish i could swap out a cam! im such a baby and scared to try! wish i had some guidance here in Georgia!
    That's not the only thing that lends to these things falling on their face. Electronics dealing with shift points and fuel feed are main reasons. I threw in a bigger cam and I still get a 2-3 bog and my afr dips to high 10's low 11's. This can be tuned out or go for a different valve body.
    Or you can leave the cam in there and get a centrifugal ss. 12's in no time with 10-12 lbs of boost and a tune.

Clean way to do this w/o tearing into the engine is to concentrate on tune, tranny and boost. You'll have a different truck which eventually may cause you a new engine as well.
    Last edited by arro222; 01-29-2021 at 01:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread