+ Reply to Thread

Thread: radiator cap placement

Default radiator cap placement

Did all R/T's come thru with their stupid radiator cap within the upper radiator hose?
    I'd like to get rid of this and get parts (including a new radiator) from any year R/T that perhaps they did not do this with.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I believe it was up to 99 had it on the radiator. Mine isn't an R/T but, they were the same.
    133.jpg

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Wow!! I like that cold air box!!!! How did you build it and what materials did you use if you don't mind me asking? Nice clean engine compartment also!
    White 98D SLT+ 5.9, 2.02 R/T Heads, 1:7 RR, IP CAI, MP PCM, PPH Headers, M1, MP Deep Trannie Pan, Detroit in back. T/S Lift, Lookin for more stuff to do LOL!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by lilwhitetruck View Post
    Wow!! I like that cold air box!!!! How did you build it and what materials did you use if you don't mind me asking? Nice clean engine compartment also!
    It is the factory air box with the reinforcing ribs removed from the outside of the lid and base. I wrapped it with (IIRC) DEI 1/2" reflective insulating sheet. All seams are taped with reflective foil tape. A K&N drop in was installed.
    I moved the IAT sensor into the outlet side of the box. The flex line is aircraft ducting. Since the pic was taken, I added a turbo funnel to the inlet, that sits behind the grill.

Thank you

You have a tranny cooler attached to this radiator?
    I'm wondering if they configured it the same way when they changed the radiator design in 2000.

Status

9t9-5.2 I thought I recognized that tubing!!!! LOL!! I work in maintenance for one of the Big Three. Anyway thanks for the info, I've been running without the factory airbox for so long I forgot about it. I'll have to try what you did. Excellent work!
    White 98D SLT+ 5.9, 2.02 R/T Heads, 1:7 RR, IP CAI, MP PCM, PPH Headers, M1, MP Deep Trannie Pan, Detroit in back. T/S Lift, Lookin for more stuff to do LOL!

Status

Pre-'00 had the cap on the radiator, but there were a few guys back in the day that IIRC, relocated the cap/filler to the end of the hose right at the radiator, and maybe used a '99 hose.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Pre-'00 had the cap on the radiator, but there were a few guys back in the day that IIRC, relocated the cap/filler to the end of the hose right at the radiator, and maybe used a '99 hose.
    You know what becomes a problem with this Justin, when trying to use one of those head gasket leak indicators, they're supposed to be raised enough where no coolant touches the indicator as the thing reads exhaust gasses.
    This is almost impossible with the hose cap because where you can lower a radiator water level, the level running through the hose always stays the same.

I should take a shot of the tranny cooler so guys with 99's can let me now if their cooler fits the same way or if they came with one at all.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You have a tranny cooler attached to this radiator?
    I'm wondering if they configured it the same way when they changed the radiator design in 2000.
    I did not have the factory supplemental cooler. What I did though was to bypass my radiator trans cooler and installed a plate cooler under the truck.

There was a supplemental cooler available in 97?-99. I don't know if there was any difference to the 00-03 set-up

Status

You know what becomes a problem with this Justin, when trying to use one of those head gasket leak indicators, they're supposed to be raised enough where no coolant touches the indicator as the thing reads exhaust gasses.
    This is almost impossible with the hose cap because where you can lower a radiator water level, the level running through the hose always stays the same.

I should take a shot of the tranny cooler so guys with 99's can let me now if their cooler fits the same way or if they came with one at all.
    Does the one on the right look familiar? The left should be 99

99 Dak Trans Cooler.jpg00+ Dak Trans Cooler.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post

One on the right is familiar.

Status

Probably why they used the '99 upper radiator hose - it runs straight across, instead of angling up. Just don't crack a head, and you won't need the test kit...
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post

FWIW I have that same cooler pictured on the left from my '99. I just removed it if anyone needs it!
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

+ Reply to Thread