+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: radiator cap placement

  1. #1

    Default radiator cap placement

    Did all R/T's come thru with their stupid radiator cap within the upper radiator hose?
    I'd like to get rid of this and get parts (including a new radiator) from any year R/T that perhaps they did not do this with.

  2. #2

    9t9-5.2's Avatar
    Home School Valedictorian

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    I believe it was up to 99 had it on the radiator. Mine isn't an R/T but, they were the same.
    133.jpg

    "Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern, CA
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Wow!! I like that cold air box!!!! How did you build it and what materials did you use if you don't mind me asking? Nice clean engine compartment also!
    White 98D SLT+ 5.9, 2.02 R/T Heads, 1:7 RR, IP CAI, MP PCM, PPH Headers, M1, MP Deep Trannie Pan, Detroit in back. T/S Lift, Lookin for more stuff to do LOL!

  4. #4

    9t9-5.2's Avatar
    Home School Valedictorian

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilwhitetruck View Post
    Wow!! I like that cold air box!!!! How did you build it and what materials did you use if you don't mind me asking? Nice clean engine compartment also!
    It is the factory air box with the reinforcing ribs removed from the outside of the lid and base. I wrapped it with (IIRC) DEI 1/2" reflective insulating sheet. All seams are taped with reflective foil tape. A K&N drop in was installed.
    I moved the IAT sensor into the outlet side of the box. The flex line is aircraft ducting. Since the pic was taken, I added a turbo funnel to the inlet, that sits behind the grill.

    Thank you

    "Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

  5. #5

    Default

    You have a tranny cooler attached to this radiator?
    I'm wondering if they configured it the same way when they changed the radiator design in 2000.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern, CA
    Posts
    100

    Default

    9t9-5.2 I thought I recognized that tubing!!!! LOL!! I work in maintenance for one of the Big Three. Anyway thanks for the info, I've been running without the factory airbox for so long I forgot about it. I'll have to try what you did. Excellent work!
    White 98D SLT+ 5.9, 2.02 R/T Heads, 1:7 RR, IP CAI, MP PCM, PPH Headers, M1, MP Deep Trannie Pan, Detroit in back. T/S Lift, Lookin for more stuff to do LOL!

  7. #7

    KicknAsphlt's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    Pre-'00 had the cap on the radiator, but there were a few guys back in the day that IIRC, relocated the cap/filler to the end of the hose right at the radiator, and maybe used a '99 hose.
    - Justin


    '00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

    F-Quick Myspace Facebook

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Pre-'00 had the cap on the radiator, but there were a few guys back in the day that IIRC, relocated the cap/filler to the end of the hose right at the radiator, and maybe used a '99 hose.
    You know what becomes a problem with this Justin, when trying to use one of those head gasket leak indicators, they're supposed to be raised enough where no coolant touches the indicator as the thing reads exhaust gasses.
    This is almost impossible with the hose cap because where you can lower a radiator water level, the level running through the hose always stays the same.

    I should take a shot of the tranny cooler so guys with 99's can let me now if their cooler fits the same way or if they came with one at all.

  9. #9

    9t9-5.2's Avatar
    Home School Valedictorian

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You have a tranny cooler attached to this radiator?
    I'm wondering if they configured it the same way when they changed the radiator design in 2000.
    I did not have the factory supplemental cooler. What I did though was to bypass my radiator trans cooler and installed a plate cooler under the truck.

    There was a supplemental cooler available in 97?-99. I don't know if there was any difference to the 00-03 set-up

    "Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

  10. #10

    9t9-5.2's Avatar
    Home School Valedictorian

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You know what becomes a problem with this Justin, when trying to use one of those head gasket leak indicators, they're supposed to be raised enough where no coolant touches the indicator as the thing reads exhaust gasses.
    This is almost impossible with the hose cap because where you can lower a radiator water level, the level running through the hose always stays the same.

    I should take a shot of the tranny cooler so guys with 99's can let me now if their cooler fits the same way or if they came with one at all.
    Does the one on the right look familiar? The left should be 99

    99 Dak Trans Cooler.jpg00+ Dak Trans Cooler.jpg

    "Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •