+ Reply to Thread

Thread: correct TB

Default correct TB

So I have made the unfortunate discovery that my block with only 42,000 miles on it is cracked. It is due to my own negligence as i forgot to tighten my radiator cap when adding additional anti freeze so my block wouldn't crack during winter. Apparently did not notice gauge until the warning ping and 15 minutes was not enough time for cool down when i added water just to get home.
    So I have this hairline fracture behind the motor mount enough for a slow leak when cold so the block is toast.

I figured this might be a good time to jump to a 408. My question : is a 53 mm tb of sufficient size for a stroked engine with my old heads (yes will check for warping and cracks) mildly worked to produce 266 cfm at .600 but lift is only .521. Heads cut to 58 cc.

Cam is 112 lsa.218-.226 @.50 or basically the cam I have in the 360 now.

New short block coming from ATK with listed cr of 9.8-9.9 with 58 cc heads.

May consider buying someones entire 408 take out.

Status

Wow that sucks man, 53 I think flows about 980, and the 58-1200, what injectors and heads ?

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Thinking of selling my 408 I used to run. I will have it gone through to make sure everything is right before I sell it. Lots of high dollar parts in it. 4 bolt main. Bronze bushes lifter bores. Jessel shaft mount rockers. Solid roller lifters (could switch it back to hydraulic lifters). Haven’t figured out a price yet. If anyone is seriously interested make me an offer

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    Wow that sucks man, 53 I think flows about 980, and the 58-1200, what injectors and heads ?
    EQ heads. Standard injectors (24lbs?). Some think they're 19 but Flyin Ryan seems to believe they were all 24's coming from the factory...so I dunno for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    Thinking of selling my 408 I used to run. I will have it gone through to make sure everything is right before I sell it. Lots of high dollar parts in it. 4 bolt main. Bronze bushes lifter bores. Jessel shaft mount rockers. Solid roller lifters (could switch it back to hydraulic lifters). Haven’t figured out a price yet. If anyone is seriously interested make me an offer
    Chris, I would need to use this truck as a go anywhere-do anything conveyance. You know, like a truck so going to the lumber yard, getting some pavers or decorative bushes, picking up the grand kids from school is what it needs to do. Not knowing where your cr is on your 408, your engine sounds stout but it seems to be needing some taming for a daily no?

As far as "an offer", I have no concept of what to offer based on your build and what changes I'd need to make to make it "streetable" in a daily sense if that could be done.. Is this the unit that allowed you to do 11's some time back?
    I'd much rather you pm me with a figure and I'll see if I can handle it.
    Thanks

Lou

Status

Do you have a pic of the crack? It could be fixable with some welding

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Do you have a pic of the crack? It could be fixable with some welding
    I do not. I loosened a motor mount because I couldn't see where it was coming from. I jacked the engine up a bit and I saw the wetness behind the mount. I couldn't make out a definitive crack but these things can be smaller than hairline. I felt the heater hose directly above it praying that it was that but it was dry as a bone.

To fix the crack, the engine would have to be removed and taken completely apart. Right now it seems easier to get a complete short block, drop it in and bolt my original stuff to it.

Status

It might just be a freeze plug that’s leaking, they are right behind the motor mounts, I had one leaking on my driver side before too

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    It might just be a freeze plug that’s leaking, they are right behind the motor mounts, I had one leaking on my driver side before too
    You could be right about that BK.
    Like the idiot I am, I didn't even consider the pool coming from the fp. Instead, I kept looking above it because it was wet up there which could have been the coolant creeping up with wind currents while the vehicle was moving at hwy speeds.
    I suppose it could have worked its way a little loose with the over heat.. It would be sweet if it's only that.

Status

Like the second year I owned my truck, I plugged in my block heater and left to south Texas on vaca for about a month, when I got home there was antifreeze on the floor, I jacked it up I thought, “Fck, head gaskets” I removed the motor mount and sure shit the freeze plug was leaking all around, I barely touched it and it fell out, cleaned the hole with scotch brite, emery cloth, used Indian Shellac and it’s been fine since

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Pull the engine, replace all of them with brass. With the age all should be replaced, including those on the back of the block.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    Pull the engine, replace all of them with brass. With the age all should be replaced, including those on the back of the block.
    Oh boy 9t9, you now have made my eyes match the weep on the engine.

Dry everything really well and spray lotrimin powder spray all around the suspected area. Then crank it up and wherever the powder starts to get wet, there is your leak

Quote Originally Posted by thomasfouraker View Post
    Dry everything really well and spray lotrimin powder spray all around the suspected area. Then crank it up and wherever the powder starts to get wet, there is your leak
    Thanks for the tip Thomas.

Status

Hey, Chris....Happy New Year.
    Going Hemi?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Hey, Chris....Happy New Year.
    Going Hemi?
    Happy New Years buddy. Man you can’t beat those hemi’s. Heads easily flowing over 400cfm. 6.4 truck blocks are relatively cheap. (Same as hellcat). Hydraulic lifters. Making 1200 hp. Sounds real tempting

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread