+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hellcat swap

Default Hellcat swap

Don't know if this is on the forum yet. I wrote the owner a message and would like him to build a kit for us to purchase. Let's see what happens next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N88yaAHgIU

Status

I watched it and I have the same RT; minus the hellcat engine.

An easy to watch video without unnecessary commentary like alot of online videos.

Thanks for posting.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDockman View Post
    Don't know if this is on the forum yet. I wrote the owner a message and would like him to build a kit for us to purchase. Let's see what happens next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N88yaAHgIU
    What kind of kit do you want? Theres already late model hemi motor mount kits out there for our chassis.

Status
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Status
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

Wow, didn't know that existed.

I was thinking, this gentleman would need to cut the fire wall and transmission tunnel. Which he probably will. If he does, he should make a few extra components and provide us the option to purchase them. Let's keep watching him and see what happens next.

Looks like this Holley kit is pretty awesome. I'll be starting my build in the next year and I will be sparing no expense. Made out like a bandit in the stock market with TGTX. So this time next year I'll be purchase new parts for a full restoration. I have over 315K miles now and counting. Still drive it every day.

Status

Wow, didn't know that existed.
    They are working on more stuff. Oil Pan and pickup tube coming in the first quarter of 21. Got most of the swap parts now.. Planning on swapping next winter. Waiting Holley Terminator X is in the future suppose to be able to control the 8 speed. So waiting to see if go the Holley route of the create kit from MP and control the 8 speed with Sound German Engineering controls.

Got a 392 out of Daytona. Want to do drop in Forged pistons, rods and cam before the swap. Also some prep work to the Dakota. Upgrade the fuel system, move the battery, Smaller brake booster because I have a 98. Also have tubular control arms for added clearance to install. Also have a set of 3:21 gears for to put in with the 8 speed.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)

None of this looks easy especially if there is metal work tone done. Fewer than 1% of us have that diy capability so that would have to be farmed out..

I suppose if one has patience and a discretionary 12-15K anything can be done but it does seem pricing to get this accomplished can really add up.
    Although I realize that the hemi is considered a superior engine in terms of efficiency, I cannot help but think there are cheaper and easier ways to acquire 500 hp.
    Mopar B or RB engines come to mind.

There are established mounting kits for these and you can run a simple carburetor or an injection system.
    No, you won't get 17 mpg but you could probably save 6-8K if that matters. Junk yard 400's and 440's could be had for $500.
    Stroked to 512, aluminum heads, intake and beefed up rotating assembly and you're over 650 hp n/a. With an aluminum water pump, it weighs in as much as the iron 360.

Don't get me wrong, it's an intriguing swap and I realize it is the wave of the future, but for now and until all the stuff becomes available to reduce the headaches, I'm looking at it interms of expenditure and headaches for the big Hellcat
    You could probably do the 5.7 hemi for dirt with some headers, a cam and a 650 carb and you're content with 450 hp n/a.
    Last edited by arro222; 12-21-2020 at 02:31 PM.

I hear you guys. I know, most people don't want to go the extra mile. Or, can afford to for that matter. I'm in a little different boat though. I'm a fabricator with extra capital to put something together that's very special and possibly a one off. I do like the Holley equipment. Looks interesting. It also plugs into the factory wiring system which is great. It also looks like you can mount that digital display in place of the gauge cluster. I sort of wanted to get rid of the gauge cluster anyways.

Although I'm not sure if it would all work with the Hellcats driveline. Gen 3 Hemi swap should include that engine but considering it has a blower, I would need to call Holley and verify.

Not so hot on the Gen 3 480Hp set up. Arro222 make a good point. If you wanted 480hp, there's easier and less expensive ways of going about it that would probably be less of a engineering headache.

That is why the 700+hp supercharged setup looks awesome. If you're going to make something awesome, this would be my top tier choice.

Status

You limit yourself with the hellcat. Its a different intake bolt pattern than the other hemis. I would swap a 6.4 in it.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

I’ve been doing some research
    I’m gonna build a hemi motor this year. Bge 6.4 block with thitek heads.
    I will probably sell my R block 429 and my magnum based 408.

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Status

Now that I have my Jeep, I’ve been looking for a 6.1 to probably do swap on the truck, it’s just a thought for now, shit I havnt driven it in 3-4 years as it is

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    You limit yourself with the hellcat. Its a different intake bolt pattern than the other hemis. I would swap a 6.4 in it.
    If I had to have a hemi that's as fast as these trucks would hold w/o a whole bunch of other chassis work, I'd probably opt for the 5.7. Do cam, heads, ported intake.
    If there is a whipple type s/c for these, I'd go with one of those and slap that on and create a nice, streetable truck that could do low 12's or maybe even dip into the 11's.

These trucks suck traction wise. I don't mind my truck going sideways on a 30 mph roll with its mild build but for it to do the same thing on an 80 mph roll is a bit more than can be bargained for.

Hellcat engine is in and fits. Barely though. No crazy modifications to the firewall or trans tunnel. This build is very interesting.

Status

It’s not very hard to make these hemis fast ,
    https://imgur.com/a/PQH4NLt

Status

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    Do it Do it.
    Im looking for a BGE now. I have a 5.7 block but may ditch it. or use it as a stepping stone
    You wont need the thitek heads if you have bge heads. They are made of 356 T6 aluminum already

Status

I still need to pick up some dual needle and seat bowls

Status

Holy Ram Batman !

Status

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    Holy Ram Batman !

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    Specs and price on your R block 429???
    Possibly interested.

Status
    Blog Entries

IF your going this far you should go the Hellcat crate motor available 800 hp. ,, now add up trans better diff and chassis work to make this HP hook up ..
    You'll be in the 30 k + range, plus a bunch of fab work..
    I think i'll stick to my 4.250 stroker with Maxport heads [porting by Hughes] .. Just my opinion..
    Last edited by packard1; 12-25-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Everyone here keeps saying the same thing over and over. Budget and budget and budget. Just watch the man put one of the most awesome drivetrains to date into our Dakota. Stop complaining. He's doing something awesome and if you guys want to penny pinch, be my guest. I can't believe nobody said anything cool about what he's doing.

I remember when I bought this truck. I was 20. That was over 20 years ago. I'm 40 now. You'd be surprised how much money people here in America have. Shit, 3/4 of the people on this forum are probably rich. My point is, this is small dollars to most people our age. New cars are $50K. So this 20K Hellcat drivetrain is really just another inexpensive build if you ask me.

Everyone here keeps saying the same thing over and over. Budget and budget and budget. Just watch the man put one of the most awesome drivetrains to date into our Dakota. Stop complaining. He's doing something awesome and if you guys want to penny pinch, be my guest. I can't believe nobody said anything cool about what he's doing.

I remember when I bought this truck. I was 20. That was over 20 years ago. I'm 40 now. You'd be surprised how much money people here in America have. Shit, 3/4 of the people on this forum are probably rich. My point is, this is small dollars to most people our age. New cars are $50K. So this 20K Hellcat drivetrain is really just another inexpensive build if you ask me.
    As you say, it's all relative. In 1985, you could buy a Ford pick up truck for $8800. Now they cost twice what my house cost me in 1978.
    The truth of the matter is we all "associate" with what the guy is doing and prolly not one of would NOT want this to be happening with our own vehicles.
    With this comes "this is so neat how can I do this" and then reality hits, "I can't" either because of mechanical inability, money or both.and then one laments and complains because of "their association" to the desire.
    You then look for ways to talk yourself out of it or look for alternatives.
    So its jealousy, depression, desire and intrigue all wrapped up to spew whatever one wishes to spew about the whole matter. Spewing acts like a bandaide sometimes.

so far I have $1281 invested into my Dakota Hemi swap project. $331 for the cross member & mounts including shipping, $500 for a complete 2004 running driving SBRC 3.7L Dakota and $450 for a complete running driving 2004 4x4 5.7 Durango with about 250,000 miles on it. I realized I got $60 for the scrap Durango after I pulled the harness and engine, so $1221.00 total investment. I'm going to attempt to run 10's for $3000.00.
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

Looks like he has the motor in and is modifying the air plenum box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUU2JxvOo80

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast