+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a aluminum 46re trans pan with stock capacity? Steel one won't seal

Status

Default Is there a aluminum 46re trans pan with stock capacity? Steel one won't seal

I'm wondering if anyone makes an aluminum transmission pan that's more durable to sealing than the stock steel pan. I've had so much bad luck with the original pan and even when I replaced it with the Dorman steel pan it still leaks. I've tried every gasket from Mopar to Victor Reinz, to transmission grade rtv as a last resort. It always leaks at the front corner and front lip. I've spent hundreds fixing all the seals on the transmission to rule them out. Now I can tell it was all coming from the pan. I've been looking over the aluminum pans and it appears they're all increased capacity pans. I don't know much money I've wasted on transmission fluid trying to fix the pan gasket leaks. I don't have any performance upgrades so I don't really need anymore capacity. Can anyone recommend one?

Quote Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone makes an aluminum transmission pan that's more durable to sealing than the stock steel pan. I've had so much bad luck with the original pan and even when I replaced it with the Dorman steel pan it still leaks. I've tried every gasket from Mopar to Victor Reinz, to transmission grade rtv as a last resort. It always leaks at the front corner and front lip. I've spent hundreds fixing all the seals on the transmission to rule them out. Now I can tell it was all coming from the pan. I've been looking over the aluminum pans and it appears they're all increased capacity pans. I don't know much money I've wasted on transmission fluid trying to fix the pan gasket leaks. I don't have any performance upgrades so I don't really need anymore capacity. Can anyone recommend one?
    Boy you've had this problem for a long time!
    What are the torque specs you're using? No more than 150 inch lbs is usually called for in the Mopar manual for our trannies.
    There is something definitely up if even the rtv sealant didn't help.
    You see any gouges or scratches on the tranny mounting surface at all?
    If you put a straight edge to it there are no gaps?
    I feel the Moroso pan gaskets are the best.
    If that doesn't do it, something else is amiss. Here is another good gasket:https://www.amazon.com/Assault-Racin...ustomerReviews

About the aluminum pan.
    The 727 tranny has the same bolt pattern as our 46re but is shallower. This pan is considered a deep pan for a 727 but I'm willing to bet its the same depth as what is on the 46re or close to it. The regular 727 pan won't fit the 46re because it isn't deep enough for the fluid pick up. This pan being deeper, will be a match.
    The clue here is that it states this pan takes 2 quarts more on the 727. Guess how much more fluid the 46re takes over the 727?
    https://www.amazon.com/TCI-128000-72...068519&sr=8-37
    Last edited by arro222; 11-11-2020 at 03:47 AM.

i have a trick flow aluminum pan on my 46re that did not increase fluid levels.....

Status

I was having the TCC solenoid changed so I had all the other external seals replaced too. The same shop has been doing it for me and they didn't see anything unusual. We've tried the oem plastic gasket, rubber gaskets, cork gaskets, fiber gaskets. I saw a youtube video of another R/T in a shop where they had the same problem with a Dorman pan that was warped new. I'm thinking that's what's going on. On the fb Dakota r/t group. Some were suggesting the part# 727-D Mag-hytec pan. I emailed the company and they said it would fit the 46re but didn't say if it was deeper. They did say I could use the factory dipstick so maybe it's the same. I thought the 727 pan was more shallow because I remember the one on my Charger wasn't very deep.

Quote Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
    I was having the TCC solenoid changed so I had all the other external seals replaced too. The same shop has been doing it for me and they didn't see anything unusual. We've tried the oem plastic gasket, rubber gaskets, cork gaskets, fiber gaskets. I saw a youtube video of another R/T in a shop where they had the same problem with a Dorman pan that was warped new. I'm thinking that's what's going on. On the fb Dakota r/t group. Some were suggesting the part# 727-D Mag-hytec pan. I emailed the company and they said it would fit the 46re but didn't say if it was deeper. They did say I could use the factory dipstick so maybe it's the same. I thought the 727 pan was more shallow because I remember the one on my Charger wasn't very deep.
    The 727's are more shallow. That is the only difference. Bolt patterns are exactly the same. There are cheaper aluminum alternatives to the Mag -Hytec as I described above that fit

+ Reply to Thread